Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change voice in festival
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Change voice in festival Post 302556836 by slak0 on Monday 19th of September 2011 07:21:19 PM
Old 09-19-2011
Change voice in festival

I installed festival under /opt/TTS so presume that precedes in the following unless noted otherwise.
I examined festival/lib/siteinit.scm and found the default voice was: voice_cmu_us_awb_arctic_hts (which I did not include with the install) which doesn't matter because the lin is commented out.
The install included
festvox_cmu_us_rms_cg.tar.gz
festvox_cmu_us_slt_arctic_hts.tar.gz and
festvox_kallpc16k.tar.gz
which are American Male using clustergen, American Female, HTS, and American English Male residual LPC diphone, I think.
I found a recent source saying to modify siteinit.scm second to last line to change the voice (...awb_arctic above ) with what was in voices but what is there is:
festival/lib/voices/english/kal_diphone
and under that are nothing like voice_... (I just show english/...)
Hence, I need to know how to change between the voices in version 2.1. Is there someone that can help out there?
BTW yes it is working but I am unfamiliar with the vocal output and cannot tell from where the male voice is coming.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to fork voice wid text???

hello... i am working in LINUX on a client/server voice communication project!!! so far i am done wid compiling code for reading/playin sound card and also sending text from server to client. now i need ur help in using fork() though i do have basic concept about fork but i need detail help in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAM
0 Replies

2. Ubuntu

My Google voice plugin problem.

I am encountering problem in Google microphone while voice chat. Voice input is almost no, although I've installed Adobe flash plugin. Please Help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
0 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Voice plugin not working!

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 10.04. I installed Google talk voice and video plug-in. But audio is not working for me and video is working fine. So can I do some tweaking to enable it again? Note that I have just Mozilla Firefox with me (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
0 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Festival halting

I finally got festival text 2 speech to work. I followed a set of instructions but had to make edits to set it up to work (albeit a few warnings). At the end I tried using quit with double quotes inside parentheses and without but could not stop the program (i.e. comes back with "festival>"). ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Place Your Bits! - Who Will Win The Voice Season 3

New Event for Fans of The Voice Who Will Win The Voice Season 3 Place Your Bits! Wikipedia Reference Page (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
set_volume_per_voice(3alleg4)					  Allegro manual				     set_volume_per_voice(3alleg4)

NAME
set_volume_per_voice - Sets the volume of a voice. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> void set_volume_per_voice(int scale); DESCRIPTION
By default, Allegro will play a centered sample at half volume on both the left and right channel. A sample panned to the far right or left will be played at maximum volume on that channel only. This is done so you can play a single panned sample without distortion. If you play multiple samples at full volume, the mixing process can result in clipping, a noticeable form of distortion. The more samples, the more likely clipping is to occur, and the more clipping, the worse the output will sound. If clipping is a problem - or if the output is too quiet - this function can be used to adjust the volume of each voice. You should first check that your speakers are at a reasonable volume, Allegro's global volume is at maximum (see set_volume() below), and any other mixers such as the Windows Volume Control are set reasonably. Once you are sure that Allegro's output level is unsuitable for your application, use this function to adjust it. Each time you increase the parameter by one, the volume of each voice will halve. For example, if you pass 4, you can play up to 16 centred samples at maximum volume without distortion. If you pass 0 to this function, each centred sample will play at the maximum volume possible without distortion, as will all samples played through a mono driver. Samples at the extreme left and right will distort if played at full volume. If you wish to play panned samples at full volume without distortion, you should pass 1 to this function. Note: this is different from the function's behaviour in WIPs 3.9.34, 3.9.35 and 3.9.36. If you used this function under one of these WIPs, you will have to increase your parameter by one to get the same vol- ume. Note: The default behaviour has changed as of Allegro 4.1.15. If you would like the behaviour of earlier versions of Allegro, pass -1 to this function. Allegro will choose a value dependent on the number of voices, so that if you reserve n voices, you can play up to n/2 nor- malised samples with centre panning without risking distortion. The exception is when you have fewer than 8 voices, where the volume remains the same as for 8 voices. Here are the values, dependent on the number of voices: 1-8 voices - set_volume_per_voice(2) 16 voices - set_volume_per_voice(3) 32 voices - set_volume_per_voice(4) 64 voices - set_volume_per_voice(5) Of course this function does not override the volume you specify with play_sample() or voice_set_volume(). It simply alters the overall output of the program. If you play samples at lower volumes, or if they are not normalised, then you can play more of them without distor- tion. It is recommended that you hard-code the parameter into your program, rather than offering it to the user. The user can alter the volume with the configuration file instead, or you can provide for this with set_volume(). To restore volume per voice to its default behaviour, pass 1. SEE ALSO
reserve_voices(3alleg4), set_volume(3alleg4), install_sound(3alleg4), detect_digi_driver(3alleg4), detect_midi_driver(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 set_volume_per_voice(3alleg4)