Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Different ways to get OS version Post 302556492 by insvf on Sunday 18th of September 2011 11:30:46 PM
Old 09-19-2011
Thanks above!

I was running the commands on a virtual machine. It is supposed that the VM with CentOS5.6 running on a Linux machine. So with the output of "cat /etc/redhat-release", can I say the VM was set up with right CentOS?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

12 Ways to Parse a file

A common thing in shell scripting. I came across this script that will be useful for people learning to write script. #!/usr/bin/ksh # # SCRIPT: 12_ways_to_parse.ksh.ksh # # # REV: 1.2.A # # PURPOSE: This script shows the different ways of reading # a file line by line. Again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ways to open a file

How many ways are there to open a file in unix? wha i know is mentioned below suppose if xx is a filename, then 1) cat xx 2) more xx 3) view xx 4) less xx I heard there are seven ways to open a file. If so, can anyone tell me all the ways to open a file and correct me the above... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ways to know about a command.......

What are the ways to know about a command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: g.ashok
7 Replies

4. Programming

Ways to eliminate Zombies?

what are the precautions to be taken care for avoiding zombie process ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help ! or others ways to do it!

Hi! I really need your help! I need to operate the columns separate by ',' of a file with this structure a1,a2,a3 b1,b2,b3,b4,b5 c1,c2 d1,d2,d3 e1 .... and I want the result of this subtractions a1-a1,a2-a1,a3-a1 b1-b1,b2-b1,b3-b1,b4-b1,b5-b1 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: geparada88
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different ways in which applications are Launched.

How does X windows system launch a program? Does X give init a command (fork) or does x give BASH a command? Can/does X interact with init directly or does everything go through BASH? :wall: Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
4 Replies

7. Programming

Sum a number in different ways.

Hello, I need some help to correct my algorithm steps to sum a number. I am confused... please input some steps Example: Let's say a number 5. Now we can get a list of numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4 (less than 5 in sorted order). so the sum could be: 1+4; 2+3 ( 1+1+1+1+1 or 1+2+2 is not a solution). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ways to run script from anywhere

Hi I am trying to make my scripts to run from any directory and after some research (googling) I find there are 2 ways to do this 1. export PATH=$PATH:directory 2. create a /bin directory in your home directory and put your scripts there. Could someone tell me the relative merits of either... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piynik
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version

How to copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version automatically. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyway different ways of doing this program

Okay so I'm 13 and my dad set me a challenge of writing a program that check to see if a box is online with input parameter when starting the program so i came back with this.The top commented out bit is what he showed me how to do after i show him my code. #!/bin/sh #in=${@} #tst=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattylad000
3 Replies
SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-SETUP(1)				     systemd-machine-id-setup				       SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-SETUP(1)

NAME
systemd-machine-id-setup - Initialize the machine ID in /etc/machine-id SYNOPSIS
systemd-machine-id-setup DESCRIPTION
systemd-machine-id-setup may be used by system installer tools to initialize the machine ID stored in /etc/machine-id at install time with a randomly generated ID. See machine-id(5) for more information about this file. This tool will execute no operation if /etc/machine-id is already initialized. If a valid D-Bus machine ID is already configured for the system, the D-Bus machine ID is copied and used to initialize the machine ID in /etc/machine-id. If run inside a KVM virtual machine and a UUID is passed via the -uuid option, this UUID is used to initialize the machine ID instead of a randomly generated one. The caller must ensure that the UUID passed is sufficiently unique and is different for every booted instanced of the VM. Similarly, if run inside a Linux container environment and a UUID is set for the container this is used to initialize the machine ID. For details see the documentation of the Container Interface[1]. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Prints a short help text and exits. --version Prints a short version string and exits. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), machine-id(5), dbus-uuidgen(1) NOTES
1. Container Interface http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ContainerInterface systemd 208 SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-SETUP(1)