Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Different ways to get OS version Post 302556475 by Corona688 on Sunday 18th of September 2011 05:45:35 PM
Old 09-18-2011
Well, for starters, redhat-release only exists on redhat. it's also only a file, so might lie or be missing.

More distributions have /etc/release but it's not impossible they won't, or be incorrect.

/proc/version is more general but only a Linux thing as far as I know.

uname exists almost everywhere.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

12 Ways to Parse a file

A common thing in shell scripting. I came across this script that will be useful for people learning to write script. #!/usr/bin/ksh # # SCRIPT: 12_ways_to_parse.ksh.ksh # # # REV: 1.2.A # # PURPOSE: This script shows the different ways of reading # a file line by line. Again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ways to open a file

How many ways are there to open a file in unix? wha i know is mentioned below suppose if xx is a filename, then 1) cat xx 2) more xx 3) view xx 4) less xx I heard there are seven ways to open a file. If so, can anyone tell me all the ways to open a file and correct me the above... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ways to know about a command.......

What are the ways to know about a command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: g.ashok
7 Replies

4. Programming

Ways to eliminate Zombies?

what are the precautions to be taken care for avoiding zombie process ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK help ! or others ways to do it!

Hi! I really need your help! I need to operate the columns separate by ',' of a file with this structure a1,a2,a3 b1,b2,b3,b4,b5 c1,c2 d1,d2,d3 e1 .... and I want the result of this subtractions a1-a1,a2-a1,a3-a1 b1-b1,b2-b1,b3-b1,b4-b1,b5-b1 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: geparada88
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Different ways in which applications are Launched.

How does X windows system launch a program? Does X give init a command (fork) or does x give BASH a command? Can/does X interact with init directly or does everything go through BASH? :wall: Thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
4 Replies

7. Programming

Sum a number in different ways.

Hello, I need some help to correct my algorithm steps to sum a number. I am confused... please input some steps Example: Let's say a number 5. Now we can get a list of numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4 (less than 5 in sorted order). so the sum could be: 1+4; 2+3 ( 1+1+1+1+1 or 1+2+2 is not a solution). ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ways to run script from anywhere

Hi I am trying to make my scripts to run from any directory and after some research (googling) I find there are 2 ways to do this 1. export PATH=$PATH:directory 2. create a /bin directory in your home directory and put your scripts there. Could someone tell me the relative merits of either... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piynik
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version

How to copy a file from directroy/ prior version to the directory/ new version automatically. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyway different ways of doing this program

Okay so I'm 13 and my dad set me a challenge of writing a program that check to see if a box is online with input parameter when starting the program so i came back with this.The top commented out bit is what he showed me how to do after i show him my code. #!/bin/sh #in=${@} #tst=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattylad000
3 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)