Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Few VIOS questions
Operating Systems AIX Few VIOS questions Post 302553080 by cjcox on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 04:28:27 PM
Old 09-06-2011
IMHO, the questions are somewhat nebulous...

For example:

lsvg -pv `lsvg`

Might show what the question is asking?? But WHAT is the question really wanting?

The command I listed above will show the PVs associated with VGs... and shows some PP data. Is that the "mapping" being looked for? I think the question is not specific enough. Just my opinion. The first responder gave very valid examples of other things that COULD be the answer as well... maybe you KNOW the specifics of what is being asked for? Please share...

Interviewer might mean on the first question... command using the IVM?

Last question mentions hmc/vios... so... using an HCM command and/or an IVM command?

IMHO, the interviewer is making a LOT of assumptions. I think if you answered with anything reasonable with regards to hmc commands or IVM commands, you'd be fine... and if that's not sufficient, it's likely the interviewer isn't truly qualified to be performing the interview... just saying...

So... if using an HMC, you can send messages to the "vios" using viosvrcmd -m <managedname> -c <command>..... if using the IVM directly, can just issue <command>

Again, I think that any reasonable interviewer would understand that you have basic grasp of "vios" and "hmc" if you just did some general talking about some of the things already listed in reply to your question. Of course, it might be better to talk about setting up repos and doing installs, etc...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

vios mount

hi, i tried to mount using $ mount nimsrv01:/export/mksysb_dev/VDEVVIO1 /mksysb in vios mode. i got following error.. </code> Some error messages may contain invalid information for the Virtual I/O Server environment. mount: 1831-008 giving up on:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: honeym210
1 Replies

2. AIX

Script for VIOS

Hello, I'm having troubles running scripts on the VIOS. I want to run a simple script like: lsmap -all | grep vhost I've created the file with just like this: $ cat script1.sh lsmap -all | grep vhost When I run the script, it returns the following error message: script1.sh:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: enzote
5 Replies

3. AIX

IVE and VIOS

I would like to hear your opinions, comments, pros and cons about the IVE (Integrated virtual ethernet) and VIOS (virtual i/o server) With the VIOS can create virtual ethernet and virtual disk With the IVE I dont need to create the vios and I can have virtual ethernet (physical and logical... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
3 Replies

4. AIX

VIOS

Can anybody provide me with usefull links to get knowledge how VIOS works and how to configure Lpars on it? I am tired and feel lazy to search through IBM redbooks :-) .. so pls help me :p (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wwwzviadi
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

6. AIX

VIOS IP address - separate vlan for vios servers ?

Hello, Lets say for simplicity that I do not use any vlan config inside my server - one lpar group use hea physical port1, another group hea physical port2. Physical port1 configured as vlan1 on external switch, physical port2 as vlan2. What is the common practice - should I isolate my vios... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
0 Replies

7. AIX

VIOS FC Mapping/NPIV questions

Please forgive me here as I don't fully understand what I am talking about here so if I use the wrong terminology please overlook me. We have multiple AIX LPARs on the managed system with two VIO Servers. A Co-Worker and I are trying to set up a new LPAR client (The guy that knows this is out)... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: juredd1
14 Replies

8. AIX

VIOS backup

I have 4 VIO server. I have to take backup of VIOS. I got the command "backupios" for taking the backup. My question is if i am taking "backupios -tape /dev/rmt0 " whether it will take rootvg and all the user defined VG / File system which are using for virtual disk for client lpar. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnybee
4 Replies

9. AIX

VIOS 2.2.4.10 - Errors

Hi, $ ioslevel 2.2.4.10 I always get these errors when I perform any action using the web interface of IVM / VIOS Shutdown Partitions Help You have chosen to shutdown the following partitions. The recommended shutdown method is to use the client operating systems shutdown... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

10. AIX

VIOS and virtual FC

Hello, In my environment, I have 2 VIOS. There is 1 lpar uses the first VIOS. Now we would like to move it to second VIOS. My question is, can we migrate the virtual FC on the lpar to second VIOS? If not, we have to create new virtual FC on second VIOS and map it to the lpar. This also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
3 Replies
DEBCONF-SET-SELECTIONS(1)					      Debconf						 DEBCONF-SET-SELECTIONS(1)

NAME
debconf-set-selections - insert new default values into the debconf database SYNOPSIS
debconf-set-selections file debconf-get-selections | ssh newhost debconf-set-selections DESCRIPTION
debconf-set-selections can be used to pre-seed the debconf database with answers, or to change answers in the database. Each question will be marked as seen to prevent debconf from asking the question interactively. Reads from a file if a filename is given, otherwise from stdin. WARNING
Only use this command to seed debconf values for packages that will be or are installed. Otherwise you can end up with values in the database for uninstalled packages that will not go away, or with worse problems involving shared values. It is recommended that this only be used to seed the database if the originating machine has an identical install. DATA FORMAT
The data is a series of lines. Lines beginning with a # character are comments. Blank lines are ignored. All other lines set the value of one question, and should contain four values, each separated by one character of whitespace. The first value is the name of the package that owns the question. The second is the name of the question, the third value is the type of this question, and the fourth value (through the end of the line) is the value to use for the answer of the question. Alternatively, the third value can be "seen"; then the preseed line only controls whether the question is marked as seen in debconf's database. Note that preseeding a question's value defaults to marking that question as seen, so to override the default value without marking a question seen, you need two lines. Lines can be continued to the next line by ending them with a "" character. EXAMPLES
# Force debconf priority to critical. debconf debconf/priority select critical # Override default frontend to readline, but allow user to select. debconf debconf/frontend select readline debconf debconf/frontend seen false OPTIONS
--verbose, -v verbose output --checkonly, -c only check the input file format, do not save changes to database SEE ALSO
debconf-get-selections(1) (available in the debconf-utils package) AUTHOR
Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-SET-SELECTIONS(1)