Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH to KSH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH to KSH Post 302551396 by yazu on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 08:38:59 AM
Old 08-30-2011
1. read VAR1 VAR2 VAR3 <<<$(echo A B C)
2. No

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh vs Bash

Hi Buddy, Can any one help me to overcome from the below problem? #/usr/bin/ksh typeset -Z dd dd=1 echo $dd =========== out put for the above is 01 same script I'm migrating to bash but typeset -Z option is not found in bash, Pls get me the equivalent option in BASH Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help : KSH>BASH

Hello, I've written a script in KSH, but now it needs to run on a system without KSH, ie sh or bash etc, bash seems best bet, but the simplest of things don't seem to work.. The snippet below is the main issue, basically I'm reading from a dat file and putting fields into arrays.. Dat file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsupplies
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh to bash mode

Hi guys... I have a ksh shell by default, so when I login to my unix box, all my .profile statements gets executed(including the aliases). But for some reasons(may be not comfortable using ksh), I would always switch to BASH(in the same session but as a child process) but in the process I am... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: anduzzi
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Specified Ksh but executing in bash

Hi, I am a new bie to unix shell programming. I have specified ksh as the first line in my script but when executed it complains. *********** Script=test******************** #!/usr/bin/ksh echo hello print -p 123 ************************************ ++++++++ Execution... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhilnagpal
7 Replies

6. Solaris

ksh vs bash

Hi, I've a general question regarding shell. I 've seen that every where i worked in production environment people are using ksh .. but i like to use .. bash .. is there any particular reason why hardcore sysadmins use ksh ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash preferred or ksh with bash features

I'm a user on a fairly locked down sys V server. By default, I have ksh set as my default shell. I added to my .profile: bash -o vi so when I login, it goes into bash so I can take advantage of tab completion and use the up key to bring up previous commands. However, whenever I want to exit, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh vs bash

what is diff between KSH and Bash can you tell me some commands which run in either of two but not in both. while doing normal shell programming I am unable to find diffrence between two (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasricha.kunal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to ksh problem

Hi all Below code works in bash but it is not working in ksh. enddate=`date -d "$enddate + $i day" "+%Y_%m_%d"` Please help me how it works in ksh Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmreddy
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing from bash to ksh

Hello, I want to run a script written in ksh but my default shell is bash as root e.g in the script it has #!/bin/ksh i have gone into /etc/passwd to change it from :/bin/bash to /bin/ksh but still giving me an error when running scripts such as ./installer -bash: ./installer: /bin/ksh:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DOkuwa
3 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-akq] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
January 22, 2004 BSD