Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BASH to KSH
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH to KSH Post 302551393 by cvsanthosh on Tuesday 30th of August 2011 08:35:37 AM
Old 08-30-2011
Thanks for your reply. We need to change from BASH to KSH with in the same script. Reason being some of the environment related settings are done using BASH.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ksh vs Bash

Hi Buddy, Can any one help me to overcome from the below problem? #/usr/bin/ksh typeset -Z dd dd=1 echo $dd =========== out put for the above is 01 same script I'm migrating to bash but typeset -Z option is not found in bash, Pls get me the equivalent option in BASH Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help : KSH>BASH

Hello, I've written a script in KSH, but now it needs to run on a system without KSH, ie sh or bash etc, bash seems best bet, but the simplest of things don't seem to work.. The snippet below is the main issue, basically I'm reading from a dat file and putting fields into arrays.. Dat file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsupplies
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh to bash mode

Hi guys... I have a ksh shell by default, so when I login to my unix box, all my .profile statements gets executed(including the aliases). But for some reasons(may be not comfortable using ksh), I would always switch to BASH(in the same session but as a child process) but in the process I am... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: anduzzi
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Specified Ksh but executing in bash

Hi, I am a new bie to unix shell programming. I have specified ksh as the first line in my script but when executed it complains. *********** Script=test******************** #!/usr/bin/ksh echo hello print -p 123 ************************************ ++++++++ Execution... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhilnagpal
7 Replies

6. Solaris

ksh vs bash

Hi, I've a general question regarding shell. I 've seen that every where i worked in production environment people are using ksh .. but i like to use .. bash .. is there any particular reason why hardcore sysadmins use ksh ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash preferred or ksh with bash features

I'm a user on a fairly locked down sys V server. By default, I have ksh set as my default shell. I added to my .profile: bash -o vi so when I login, it goes into bash so I can take advantage of tab completion and use the up key to bring up previous commands. However, whenever I want to exit, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh vs bash

what is diff between KSH and Bash can you tell me some commands which run in either of two but not in both. while doing normal shell programming I am unable to find diffrence between two (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasricha.kunal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to ksh problem

Hi all Below code works in bash but it is not working in ksh. enddate=`date -d "$enddate + $i day" "+%Y_%m_%d"` Please help me how it works in ksh Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmreddy
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing from bash to ksh

Hello, I want to run a script written in ksh but my default shell is bash as root e.g in the script it has #!/bin/ksh i have gone into /etc/passwd to change it from :/bin/bash to /bin/ksh but still giving me an error when running scripts such as ./installer -bash: ./installer: /bin/ksh:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DOkuwa
3 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)					      General Commands Manual						  CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)