Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk split
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk split Post 302546940 by alister on Friday 12th of August 2011 02:26:52 PM
Old 08-12-2011
You can't expect characters that are used to split a string to be part of the result. If you split "1,2,3,4" on the comma, by definition the comma is not an allowed member of a field. Same goes with a bracket expression such as "[ACGT]"; splitting on such an expression forbids A, C, G, and T from occurring in a field.

Assuming I understood what were trying to do, the semicolons in your bracket expressions are incorrect. Characters in a bracket expression should not be delimited. To split on the four letters "A", "C", "G", and "T", "[ACGT]" is all that's needed. Adding those semicolons will cause splitting on semicolons as well.

Looking at your data:
Code:
>m110730_101608_00120_c100168052554400000315046108261127_s1_p0/7/29_426ACGTGCTATGCGG

If you just want to print the highlighted base sequence, and if its always preceded by the final number in the line, the following will do:
Code:
sed 's/.*[[:digit:]]//'

Or if the base sequence always begins at the 4th character past the final underscore:
Code:
sed 's/.*_...//'

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 08-12-2011 at 03:33 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - split function

Hi, I have some output in the form of: #output: abc123 def567 hij890 ghi324 the above is in one column, stored in the variable x ( and if you wana know about x... x=sprintf(tolower(substr(someArray,1,1)substr(userArray,3,1)substr(userArray,2,1))) when i simply print x (print x) I get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusionX
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

split file with awk

I did a lot of search on this forum on spiting file; found a lot, but my requirement is a bit different, please guide. Master file: x:start:5 line1:23 line2:12 2:90 x:end:5 x:start:2 45:56 22:90 x:end:2 x:start:3 line1:23 line2:12 x:end:3 x:start:2 line5:23 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uwork72
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split string

Hello Friends, Im trying to split a string. When i use first method of awk like below i have an error: method1 (I specified the FS as ":" so is this wrong?) servert1{root}>awk -f split.txt awk: syntax error near line 2 awk: bailing out near line 2 split.txt:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK split

Dear colleagues! I want to create a script which will take each file from the list and then parse it filename with awk/split. I do it this way: for file in `cat /$FileListFN`; do echo `awk ' {N=split(FILENAME,FNParts,"_")} {for (i=1; i<=N; i++) ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: slarionoff
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk split

Can anybody tell me what is wrong with this ? It does not produce anyoutput. awk 'split( "this:that", arr,":")' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split numbers

I would like to split a string of numbers "1-2,4-13,16,19-20,21-25,31-32" and output these with awk into -dFirstPage=1 -dLastPage=2 file.pdf -dFirstPage=4 -dLastPage=13 file.pdf -dFirstPage=16 -dLastPage=16 file.pdf file.pdf -dFirstPage=19 -dLastPage=20 file.pdf -dFirstPage=21 -dLastPage=25... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split help

Hello, I have the following input file: A=1;B=2;C=3;D=4 A=4;B=6;C=7;D=9 I wish to have the following output 1 2 3 4 4 6 7 9 Can awk split be used to do this? I have done this without using split, but the process is quite tedious. Any help is appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rabu
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split and awk calculation in the same command

I am trying to run the awk below. My question is when I split the input, then run anotherawk to perform a calculation using that splitas the input there are no issues. When I try to combine them the output is not correct, is the split not working or did I do it wrong? Thank you :). input ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
fb.modes(8)						     Linux frame buffer utils						       fb.modes(8)

NAME
fb.modes - frame buffer modes file DESCRIPTION
/etc/fb.modes contains an unlimited number of video mode descriptions. The general format of a video mode is: mode geometry <xres> <yres> <vxres> <vyres> <depth> timings <pixclock> <left> <right> <upper> <lower> <hslen> <vslen> options <value> endmode OPTIONS
geometry options: xres visible horizontal resolution (in pixels) yres visible vertical resolution (in pixels) vxres virtual horizontal resolution (in pixels) vyres virtual vertical resolution (in pixels) depth display depth (in bits per pixel) timing options: pixclock length of one pixel (in picoseconds) left left margin (in pixels) right right margin (in pixels) upper upper margin (in pixel lines) lower lower margin (in pixel lines) hslen horizontal sync length (in pixels) vslen vertical sync length (in pixel lines) other options: the first value of this options is the default hsync {low|high} the horizontal sync polarity vsync {low|high} the vertical sync polarity csync {low|high} the composite sync polarity extsync {false|true} enable or disable external resync. If enabled the sync timings are not generated by the frame buffer device and must be pro- vided externally instead. Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer device laced {false|true} enable or disable interlace. If enabled the display will be split in two frames, each frame contains only even and odd lines respectively. These two frames will be displayed alternating, this way twice the lines can be displayed and the vertical fre- quency for monitor stays the same, but the visible vertical frequency gets halved double {false|true} enable or disable doublescan. If enabled every line will be displayed twice and this way the horizontal frequency can easily be doubled, so that the same resolution can be displayed on different monitors, even if the horizontal frequency specifica- tion differs. Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer device INTERNALS
Generally a frame buffer display is organized as follows: +---+---------------+---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 5 | | | | | v | | | +---#################---+---+ | # ^ # | | | # | # | | | # | # | | | 1 # | 2 # 3 | 4 | |<->#<------+------>#<->|<->| | # | # | | | # | 6 # | | | # | # | | | # v # | | +---#################---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 7 | | | | | v | | | +---+---------------+---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 8 | | | | | v | | | +---+---------------+---+---+ 1 left margin 2 xres 3 right margin 4 horizontal sync len 5 upper margin 6 yres 7 lower margin 8 vertical sync len The area bordered with `#' is the visible display area. Horizontal and vertical frequencies can now easily be calculated, for this the sum of horizontal or vertical values are important htotal = left + xres + right + hslen vtotal = upper + yres + lower + vslen The length of one line can now be calculated with pixclock line = pixclock * htotal and we have the horizontal frequency hfreq = 1E12 / line = 1E12 / (pixclock * htotal) To get the vertical frequency vtotal must eventually adjusted. If the display is laced, vtotal must be halved or if the display is a dou- blescan one, vtotal must be doubled. Now we can calculate the length of one frame if (lace) vtotal /= 2 if (double) vtotal *= 2 frame = vtotal * line and we get also the vertical frequency vfreq = 1E12 / frame = hfreq / vtotal SEE ALSO
fbset(8), fbdev(4) local Aug 1996 fb.modes(8)