Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to add extension to filename Post 302541187 by repiv on Friday 22nd of July 2011 05:27:35 PM
Old 07-22-2011
Script to add extension to filename

Hi all,

I have a folder with a bunch of files in them, and I would like to add an extension (.mp3)to all these filenames. The folder has only files that I'd like .mp3 added to.

It looks something like this:

Intput:
Code:
File1
File2
File3

Output:
Code:
File1.mp3
File2.mp3
File3.mp3

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

filename extension check - regular expression

How to compare the file name for "zip" or "ZIP" extension. I can put one more || condition to check the upper case in the below: if ]; then Is there any better way to compare using regular expressions. Thx in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: devs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

separating filename and extension

Hi (warning: newbie question), I am writing a script to run a series of tests on a program, which involves a line: for file in `ls test_suite/*.args` but later I want to send the output to file.out. But I need to separate the filename and extension somehow...Also $file contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucaspewkas
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing filename extension

Hi All, i need to change the filename extension. For simplicity, we can assume that the extension after '.' is 3 characters only... but the filenames can vary. eg. changing from abc.doc to abc.dxs can i have a oneline command to achieve this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiso
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script takes the whole filename instead of just extension

I am running my script from "/abc/" this path and it has no ".csv files" but has a ".txt" files namely temp1.txt My script goes as below, wherein it is suppose to find files with *.txt extension and *.csv extension in another path namely "/abc/xyz/": #!/bin/ksh PATH1="/abc/xyz/" value="*.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolverine999
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut filename extension

I need a small script (sh) to remove in a variable the filename extension. Example: f = "testfile.txt" and I need a $a with "testfile". Some one a idea? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Essbaumer
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting filename with entire path without extension

Hi Experts, need one help.. m writing a shell script for which i need the entire path of the file but without its extension. running the below script gives error at the statement DIR = `dirname $FILE` --command not found. #!/bin/bash jar xvf *jar for FILE in `find . -name "*.class"` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicableperson
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the filename extension

Is there an easy way to strip off a filename's extension? For example, here's a filename: blahblahblah.thisisok.thisisnotok I want to get rid of .thisisnotok from the filename, so that what's left is blahblahblah.thisisok Thanks. I have a directory full of filenames that need to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH - Removing the very last character(s) extension of a filename

Hello. I would like to know how to do this in bash script : A_WORD="ABCD_EFGH.0.100.40.123" NEW_WORD=remove_last_ext("A_WORD") NEW_WORD --> ABCD_EFGH.0.100.40 A_WORD="ABCD_EFGH.0.50.3" NEW_WORD=remove_last_ext("A_WORD") NEW_WORD --> ABCD_EFGH.0.50 A_WORD="ABCD_EFGH.3.100.50." ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get latest filename without extension

I need to write a shell script to display the output of ls command like this ls -ltr *txt I get this -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 51912704 Dec 11 10:27 /usr/local/sam/test12112012101247AM.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 7 Dec 11 11:58 /usr/local/sam/test.txt but I just need the latest... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumang24
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Getting a filename its extension

Heyas As i often have decide things upon a filename its extension, i thought i'd write a script: Just wondering if there would be a more efficent way? out="" FN=$( echo "$1" | sed s," ","",g) # Remove any spaces and make it a single string for chance in $(echo "$FN"|sed s,"\."," ",g) # Use... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies
MP3SPLT-GTK(1)						      General Commands Manual						    MP3SPLT-GTK(1)

NAME
mp3splt-gtk -- Gtk utility for mp3/ogg splitting without decoding. SYNOPSIS
mp3splt-gtk [-d Directory ] [ Filename ] DESCRIPTION
mp3splt-gtk is a free software that allows you to split mp3 and ogg files from several splitpoints, without need of decoding and reencod- ing. It is useful to split large mp3/ogg to make smaller files or to split entire albums to obtain original tracks. If you are splitting an album you can get splitpoints and filenames automatically from servers on internet like tracktype.org or from a local .XMCD (.CDDB) or .CUE file, with the possibility to adjust them automatically with silence detection. You can also split files automatically with silence detection, or by a fixed time length. If you have a file created either with Mp3Wrap or AlbumWrap, you can easily split it. The whole program is controlled by a self-describing GUI and documented in the gnome help system. Optionally the name of the input file and the output directory can be specified on the command line (see above). BUGS
Report any bugs you find to the authors (see below). Advices, info requests and contributions are welcome. SEE ALSO
mp3splt(1) mp3wrap(1) AUTHORS
Alexandru Ionut Munteanu <io_fx@yahoo.fr> DISTRIBUTION
Visit http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net for latest release. mp3splt-project is (C) 2002-2005 by Matteo Trotta (C) 2005-2012 by Alexandru Ionut Munteanu Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License. This can be found as COPYING in mp3splt packages. MP3SPLT-GTK(1)