Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris config files syntax
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris config files syntax Post 302539381 by Smiling Dragon on Sunday 17th of July 2011 04:04:31 AM
Old 07-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
That's true but in this particular case, the comments explaining the RETRIES setting usage are quite explicit:
Code:
(from OpenSolaris /etc/default/login file)
# RETRIES determines the number of failed logins that will be
# allowed before login exits. Default is 5 and maximum is 15.
# If account locking is configured (user_attr(4)/policy.conf(4))
# for a local user's account (passwd(4)/shadow(4)), that account
# will be locked if failed logins equals or exceeds RETRIES.
#
#RETRIES=5

Note also that the "##" convention the OP is talking about isn't used in that file.
Ah, what I was getting at is that sometimes an admin comes along and uncomments RETRIES, sets it to what they want and goes away, then comes back later (or someone else does) and comments it out to return it to default, now the "#RETRIES=some number" is just what it was last set to rather than the default.
Shared systems and all, I become rather paranoid Smilie

But also, your emboldened bit above is about the only "standard" I ever use - if the default is explicitly named in the comments or man, it's a fair bet that you can assume that's the default. Otherwise, don't expect a standard Smilie

(Half answering jlliagre as to what I was rambling on about, half answering the OP with more info)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Losing IP config on reboot of Solaris 8

After a reboot my ifconfig -a has nothing but 0.0.0.0 have to reinput my IP and default route, what makes the info save? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jo calamine
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Printer Config for Solaris 5.9

Hi All, Am Trying to configure a Network Printer (HP Laser Jet 4250n) Printer Name hari for a Solaris 5.9 server. Output of lpstat: root: lpstat -t scheduler is running no system default destination device for hari: /dev/null hari accepting requests since Mon Jul 28 10:38:51 2008... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: efunds
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Samba config file syntax

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. In the samba config file smb.conf in the global settings area... we currently have a domain in the workgroup section as workgroup = domain_name I want to add another domain name to allow attaching to samba. What is the syntax to add another domain... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AWSeeker
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Raid config on Jumpstart (Solaris 10

Hi there, I was wondering if it is possible to include a RAID configuration in my Solaris 10 Jumpstart files, so that I don't have to manually set up RAID on all my machines. Thanks P.S. I started messing around with Solaris only a week back, so if I sound like a complete idiot, you know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iman453
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing config file to create new config files

Hi, I want to use a config file as the base file and parse over the values of country and city parameters in the config file and generate separate config files as explained below. I will be using the config file as mentioned below: (config.txt) country:a,b city:1,2 type:b1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clazzic
1 Replies

6. Solaris

AutoFs Config in Solaris 10

Hi, i'm new to Solaris ,i have this task which need to be completedand i couldn't find a way .The peoblem is i have a Server-A and Server-B i need to automount a folder in Server-b to Server-A for permanently .i've found only auto_master and auto_home(in /etc no auto.misc like linux) and what are... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: malickhat
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs 1)actual config file 2)report

Hi I am new to shell scripting. There is a requirement to write a shell script to meet follwing needs.Prompt reply shall be highly appreciated. script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs - actual config file and a report indicating changes made. OS :Susi linux ver 10.3. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list of important config files in solaris 10

Hi all, I am going to reitre one solaris 10 server soon. What are the important config files to backup in case if i want to check how this system was setup (need list in general) ? Thanks! in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update config file using shell script in Solaris 5.10

hi I need to update the value in config.txt value using shell script example: lets say a value in config.txt file is as SEQUENCE=1 after some iteration as the loop ends , the SEQUENCE should get update in the config.txt file with a new value of SEQUENCE=2. also , can anyone please help me... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravidwivedi2288
7 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

(VS 2008) New build config looking files from other folder build config

Hi Team, My new build configuration always looking for the files from the build where i copied from. please help me to resolve this. I am using Visual studio 2008.It has Qt 4.8. plugins,qml,C++ development I created new debug_new build configuration with additional preprocessor from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
1 Replies
pam_unix_auth(5)					Standards, Environments, and Macros					  pam_unix_auth(5)

NAME
pam_unix_auth - PAM authentication module for UNIX SYNOPSIS
pam_unix_auth.so.1 DESCRIPTION
The pam_unix_auth module implements pam_sm_authenticate(), which provides functionality to the PAM authentication stack. It provides func- tions to verify that the password contained in the PAM item PAM_AUTHTOK is the correct password for the user specified in the item PAM_USER. If PAM_REPOSITORY is specified, then user's passwd is fetched from that repository. Otherwise, the default nsswitch.conf(4) repository is searched for that user. For accounts in the name services which support automatic account locking, the account may be config- ured to be automatically locked (see user_attr(4) and policy.conf(4)) after multiple failed login attempts. If the number of successive failures equals or exceeds RETRIES, the account is locked and PAM_MAXTRIES is returned. Currently, only the "files" repository (see passwd(4) and shadow(4)) supports automatic account locking. A successful authentication by this module clears the failed login counter and reports the number of failed attempts since the last successful authentication. Authentication service modules must implement both pam_sm_authenticate() and pam_sm_setcred(). To allow replacability of the authentication portion of UNIX authentication, pam_sm_setcred() in this module always returns PAM_IGNORE. This module should be stacked with pam_unix_cred(5) to ensure a successful return from pam_setcred(3PAM). The following options can be passed to the module: nowarn Turn off warning messages. server_policy If the account authority for the user, as specified by PAM_USER, is a server, do not apply the Unix policy from the passwd entry in the name service switch. nolock Regardless of the automatic account locking setting for the account, do not lock the account, increment or clear the failed login count. The nolock option allows for exempting account locking on a per service basis. ERRORS
The following error codes are returned from pam_sm_authenticate(): PAM_AUTH_ERR Authentication failure. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE Ignores module, not participating in result. PAM_MAXTRIES Maximum number of retries exceeded. PAM_PERM_DENIED Permission denied. PAM_SUCCESS Successfully obtains authentication token. PAM_SYSTEM_ERR System error. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN No account present for user. The following error codes are returned from pam_sm_setcred(): PAM_IGNORE Ignores this module regardless of the control flag. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT Level |MT-Safe with exceptions | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
login(1), passwd(1), useradd(1M), usermod(1M), roleadd(1M), rolemod(1M), libpam(3LIB), pam(3PAM), pam_authenticate(3PAM), pam_set- cred(3PAM), syslog(3C), pam.conf(4), passwd(4), policy.conf(4), nsswitch.conf(4), shadow(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5), pam_auth- tok_check(5), pam_authtok_get(5), pam_authtok_store(5), pam_dhkeys(5), pam_passwd_auth(5), pam_unix_account(5), pam_unix_session(5) NOTES
The interfaces in libpam(3LIB) are MT-Safe only if each thread within the multi-threaded application uses its own PAM handle. The pam_unix(5) module is no longer supported. Similar functionality is provided by pam_authtok_check(5), pam_authtok_get(5), pam_auth- tok_store(5), pam_dhkeys(5), pam_passwd_auth(5),pam_setcred(3PAM), pam_unix_account(5), pam_unix_cred(5), pam_unix_session(5). If the PAM_REPOSITORY item_type is set and a service module does not recognize the type, the service module does not process any informa- tion, and returns PAM_IGNORE. If the PAM_REPOSITORY item_type is not set, a service module performs its default action. SunOS 5.10 2 Aug 2004 pam_unix_auth(5)