Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) mailx to external email address Post 302538074 by FlyingSquirrel on Monday 11th of July 2011 04:51:11 PM
Old 07-11-2011
mailx to external email address

Hi, How can I use "mailx" command to send message to an email address like this?

Code:
echo "This email body" | mailx -s "my subject" "email@hostname.com"

There may be some setup required in sendmail or postfix??

OS = Snow Leopard 10.6

Last edited by pludi; 07-12-2011 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: update

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to send eMail from a UNIX-Host ( using mailx ) to a Outlook-email-addres(Win)

Hi A) I am able to send eMail using mailx from a UNIX ( solaris 8 ) host to my Outlook-email-ID : FName.Surname@Citigroup.com ( This is NOT my actual -eMail-ID). But in Outlook the "From :" eMail address is displayed as " usr1@unix-host1.unregistered.email.citicorp.com " .i.e the words... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vetrivela
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send email where # is in the email address - Using Unix

Hi All, How do I send an email using malix where email address contains a #. I have a email address like this : #test@test.com I want to send email like malix -s "TEST" #test@test.com < SOMEFILE I tried \# but doesn't work. Please let me know how we can achieve this? I am in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jingi1234
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx- can we change the from address in the email that is sent out.

Hello, Is there anyway to change the from address in the email sent using mailx command? I have the following command: mailx -s $subject xxx@xxxx.com < $mail_mesg This defaults to the following format "acctname@usserver.companyname.com" as the from address in the email. Problem is this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know if the mailx command really sends the mail to the email address?

Hi guys, I have a question about the returning message of the mailx command. if I run a mailx command, how can I know if the email has been sent to the email address? If the email address doesn't exist, is there any error message returned? If yes, how can I get the error message? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheenshine
3 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Getting the External IP Address of your Computer and Storing it in a File

My computer is one of three computer on our LAN. Our router is a Time Capsule. My computer is the only of of three computers that has been assigned a static IP address on the LAN, because it runs an Apache installation. I tinker around with web development from time to time, and I wanted to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Audacitor
7 Replies

6. IP Networking

Obtaining your external IP address using a Unix Utility

Hello, this is my first post on the Unix forums. This is something that's been bothering me for a while, is there any particular UNIX/Linux application that will allow you to see you external IP address? :confused: ( The address beyond your router ) Thank you in advance, I could not find a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquen
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to verify email address using mailx command ?

Is there any way i can verify the email address (before sending the mail) using the mailx command ? I know that sendmail -bv email@address.com can do it but there is a compatibility issues with the version of Unix we have. So mailx is the only command we can used at this point. Any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rak007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

External IP Address of Linux Server

Hi, I am trying to find the external IP address of a server "XXX". I logged into server "XXX" and executed nslookup XXX. output number is 123.23.23.45 Later, i have executed "curl http://whatismyip.org". This time i got a different number 611.34.63.22 Out of these two numbers, what number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forums123456
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Ping domain indicates the external ip address and not the local ip

when i execute from local machine ping domainname i get the external ip address but i am on local dns and i expect the local ip address.. using nslookup : no problem so i cannot find why... thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: activedms
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx issue; email address starting with #

Hello All, I have a requirement to generate report and send them to a distribution list. The problem I am facing is when sending out the email using mailx. The email address (DL) we have is starting with # and because of this it's not recognising the email and throwing the below error. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_Raj
2 Replies
Log::Handler::Output::Sendmail(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Log::Handler::Output::Sendmail(3pm)

NAME
Log::Handler::Output::Sendmail - Log messages with sendmail. SYNOPSIS
use Log::Handler::Output::Sendmail; my $email = Log::Handler::Output::Sendmail->new( from => 'bar@foo.example', to => 'foo@bar.example', subject => 'your subject', ); $email->log(message => $message); DESCRIPTION
With this output module it's possible to log messages via "sendmail". METHODS
new() Call "new()" to create a new Log::Handler::Output::Sendmail object. The following options are possible: from The sender address (From). to The receipient address (To). cc Carbon Copy (Cc). bcc Blind Carbon Copy (Bcc) subject The subject of the mail. sender This option is identical with "sendmail -f". header With this options it's possible to set your own header. my $email = Log::Handler::Output::Sendmail->new( from => 'bar@foo.example', to => 'foo@bar.example', header => 'Content-Type: text/plain; charset= UTF-8', ); Or my $email = Log::Handler::Output::Sendmail->new( header => { From => 'bar@foo.example', To => 'foo@bar.example', Subject => 'my subject', 'Content-Type' => text/plain; charset= UTF-8', } ); Or my $email = Log::Handler::Output::Sendmail->new( header => [ 'From: bar@foo.example', 'To: foo@bar.example', 'Subject: my subject', 'Content-Type: text/plain; charset= UTF-8', ] ); sendmail The default is set to "/usr/sbin/sendmail". params Parameters for "sendmail". The default is set to "-t". maxsize Set the maximum size of the buffer in bytes. All messages will be buffered and if "maxsize" is exceeded the buffer is flushed and the messages will be send as email. The default is set to 1048576 bytes. Set 0 if you want no buffering and send a mail for each log message. debug Set 1 if you want to enable debugging. The messages can be fetched with $SIG{__WARN__}. log() Call "log()" if you want to log a message as email. $email->log(message => "this message will be mailed"); If you pass the level then its placed into the subject: $email->log(message => "foo", level => "INFO"); $email->log(message => "bar", level => "ERROR"); $email->log(message => "baz", level => "DEBUG"); The lowest level is used: Subject: ERROR ... You can pass the level with "Log::Handler" by setting message_pattern => '%L' flush() Call "flush()" if you want to flush the buffered messages. validate() Validate a configuration. reload() Reload with a new configuration. errstr() This function returns the last error message. DESTROY
"DESTROY" is defined and called "flush()". PREREQUISITES
Carp Params::Validate EXPORTS
No exports. REPORT BUGS
Please report all bugs to <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. If you send me a mail then add Log::Handler into the subject. AUTHOR
Jonny Schulz <jschulz.cpan(at)bloonix.de>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2009 by Jonny Schulz. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-11-21 Log::Handler::Output::Sendmail(3pm)