Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: compare versions.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting compare versions. Post 302537976 by pludi on Monday 11th of July 2011 09:49:51 AM
Old 07-11-2011
Since they're not pure numbers, Perl is treating them like strings, and then the comparison follows the rules of the strcmp function. The first and second character in both are the same, but the third is different, and 1 comes before 9, and is thus considered lower.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

different versions?

can someone tell me a shell-script to convert an older version of a file with the current one? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deeptia
1 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Need to know all versions of Unix

:confused: What are some of the most popular versions of Unix and why? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpawlicki2
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Versions of UNIX

Hi all: I was just wondering if someone could tell me what versions of UNIX are available to public? I'm aware of all the available distro's for Linux e.g. Debain, SuSe, RedHat, etc ... However you never really here much about UNIX distro's! Is UNIX BDS a common one in use? Thanks Oliver (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oliver79
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

Is there any way to get old HP-UX versions?

I got my hands on a HP9000/380 and need a (really) old version of HP-UX, like 7 or 8. Is there any vendor who sells older versions? I did a quick search here and checked the FAQ and HPs HP-UX site but couldn't find anything. :confused: Any help is appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlundh
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Versions of HP-UX or AIX

Can I install a HP-UX or IBM AIX in my home pc?. It is a Intel Pentium 4 of 64 bits. Is there any version for me?. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurt1978
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris versions

Hi, Does anyone know if the various releases of Solaris are archived anywhere? I work for a DR company and it would be useful to have different releases of a Solaris version number i.e. Solaris 10 6/06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What are these kernel versions?

2.6.32-028stab094.3 x86_64 vs 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64 and where can i download the first one? thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suffeks
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

Versions of HP-UX

Lo guys, I've just started a new department in work and I'm going to be using HP-UX with Vi. The problem is I'm completely new to UNIX, I'm currently learning at work but I only have limited amounts of time on our dev systems. Is it possible to get a free/educational version any where? I don't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: john2012
4 Replies

9. Linux

Different versions of Linux

Hello Friends, Please anyone share with me, the name of different versions of Linux? Which are the latest versions of Linux ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggiwebsinfo
2 Replies

10. Fedora

All different versions of UNIX

Hello, I am very new at this and would like to know how many versions of Unix there are and all of the different versions of unix. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosanna azani
3 Replies
strcmp(9F)						   Kernel Functions for Drivers 						strcmp(9F)

NAME
strcmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strncmp - compare two null-terminated strings. SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/ddi.h> int strcmp(const char *s1, const char *s2); int strcasecmp(const char *s1, const char *s2); int strncasecmp(const char *s1, const char *s2, size_t n); int strncmp(const char *s1, const char *s2, size_t n); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI specific (Solaris DDI). PARAMETERS
s1, s2 Pointers to character strings. n Count of characters to be compared. DESCRIPTION
strcmp() strcmp() returns 0 if the strings are the same, or the integer value of the expression (*s1 - *s2) for the last characters compared if they differ. strcasecmp(), strncasecmp() The strcasecmp() and strncasecmp() functions are case-insensitive versions of strcmp() and strncmp(), respectively, described in this sec- tion. They assume the ASCII character set and ignore differences in case when comparing lowercase and uppercase characters. strncmp() strncmp() returns 0 if the first n characters of s1 and s2 are the same, or (*s1 - *s2) for the last characters compared if they dif- fer. RETURN VALUES
strcmp() returns 0 if the strings are the same, or (*s1 - *s2) for the last characters compared if they differ. strcasecmp() and strncasecmp() return values in the same fashion as strcmp() and strncmp(), respectively. strncmp() returns 0 if the first n characters of strings are the same, or (*s1 - *s2) for the last characters compared if they differ. CONTEXT
These functions can be called from user or interrupt context. SEE ALSO
Writing Device Drivers SunOS 5.10 1 Apr 1994 strcmp(9F)