Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix hands on
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix hands on Post 302536719 by spaniard on Wednesday 6th of July 2011 06:03:52 AM
Old 07-06-2011
Unix hands on

Hi,
I am new to UNIX system, i have theoritical knowledge but never gotta chance to work on UNIX system. I dont have the environment to practice, is there anything which i can download or any online website to work over and get better in UNIX?

Please help me..

Thanks & Regard's
Span'rd

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Hands on Support

Check this link. Its Sun Solaris Docs link that place all sorts of Materials in it. From Hands on Support materials Etc. Quite intresting. Sun OS Hands on Docs. :cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: killerserv
1 Replies

2. AIX

Hands On Learning - AIX

Hi all, I am interested in your opinions of the best way to get hands-on security experience with AIX. I am proficient with most linux flavors on intel, but need to get familiar with AIX. Any ideas on how to get some hands-on without lumping out $4Gs for a used RS/6000? Thanks EW (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewelsh
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need hands-on skill.

Can someone help me get into a UNIX server so I can get some hands-on skills? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FernandesE74
3 Replies

4. AIX

New to AIX and got my hands on a RS6000 v.need help getting it on the network

So im fairly new to AIX and my knowledge is very, very limited but i got my hands on an RS6000 43P model and im trying to get it on the network so i can access it from work. I have pretty much tried everything i can/know how to do by reading up as much as i can but im still lost. I have the 43P... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IIIII
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Help me, please! Solaris 10 hands-off installation from a bootable DVD

Hello, I have a problem with installing the Solaris 10 using a bootable DVD with a flar archive. I want this installation to be totally hands-off, but unfortunately after I run this boot command at the ok prompt: ok boot cdrom - install ... the system is rebooted and the interactive... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Is here anyone hands on in Linux Bare Metal Restore..??

Hi all, I am working on Linux Bare Metal Restore in which i have few things to be discussed with a person who has his/her hands on in that process. If anyone kindly give a reply post in this thread.. :) :) Thanks Selva (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvarajvs
3 Replies
sh(1)							      General Commands Manual							     sh(1)

NAME
sh - Shell, the standard command language interpreter DESCRIPTION
[Tru64 UNIX] Tru64 UNIX provides two command interpreters with the name sh. The XCU5.0 and POSIX.2 compliant command interpreter sh is available in the file /usr/bin/posix/sh and is described in the sh(1p) reference page. The Bourne shell, historically known as sh, is available in the file /usr/bin/sh and is described in the sh(1b) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] Your initial, or login, shell is determined by your entry in the file /etc/passwd. This file can be changed only by your sys- tem administrator. You must use whatever procedures are in place at your location to have this entry changed. [Tru64 UNIX] If available on your system, you may use the passwd -s or the chsh commands to change your login shell. Note This option is not available if your site manages passwords through the Network Information Service (NIS) facility. Check with your system administrator. [Tru64 UNIX] Subsequent shells spawned from the initial shell depend on the value in the environment variable BIN_SH. If this variable is set to xpg4, the POSIX shell is started. If this variable is set to svr4, an SVR4 compliant version of the shell is started. If this vari- able is unset, the Bourne shell is started. If this variable is set to any other value, an error is reported and the results are unpre- dictable. See the EXAMPLES section for information on setting this variable. NOTES
[Tru64 UNIX] With Tru64 UNIX Version 4.0 the Korn shell, /usr/bin/ksh is the same as the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh. RESTRICTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] The file /etc/shells must include entries for both the POSIX shell /usr/bin/posix/sh and the Bourne shell, /usr/bin/sh. If this file is incorrect, see your system administrator. EXAMPLES
Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/ XCU5.0compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=xpg4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: BIN_SH=svr4 export BIN_SH Using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unset BIN_SH Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the POSIX/XCU5.0 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH xpg4 Using the C/ shell, to set the variable BIN_SH to use the SVR4 compliant shell, enter: setenv BIN_SH svr4 Using the C/ shell, to unset the variable BIN_SH, enter: unsetenv BIN_SH FILES
User profile. Contains user information, including the login shell name. Contains the names of available and permitted shells. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), passwd(1) Files: passwd(4), shells(4) Standards: standards(5) sh(1)