Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to programmatically generate makefile variable Post 302536015 by Corona688 on Monday 4th of July 2011 01:05:46 AM
Old 07-04-2011
There's supposed to be a better way in GNU make, a 'simple variable', done with VAR:=`something` but it doesn't do what it says it's supposed to, and just evaluates every time.

Short of creating a makefile from template or something, I don't think so.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to find usb ports programmatically

I need to find out where a usb flash memory drive is mounted. I have used prtconf and iostat to find the information and then used popen to parse the information to find what i need. I am wondering if there are some generic functions such as ddi_ or usb_ that i can use to find such info. I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtcoelho
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any way to set env variable in top level Makefile and unset when done

Hello I have compilation directory structure the top level Makefile is the one that contains all the sub directories I want to set in this Makefile env variable say : setenv OPTIMIZATION_LEVEL "1" and when all the sub directories done compiling it will set this variable to different lavel... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

alternative for recursive variable in Makefile?

Hi, I want to append some compiler flags to CFLAGS_LOCAl variable defined in one makefile. I am trying to append required flags in another makefile like this: CFALGS_LOCAL = $(CFLAGS_LOCAL) +check=all but when I make, I get the error: ../../../../rules/target.rules:4: *** Recursive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prits31
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Makefile problem - How to run module load in a Makefile

Hi, I'm trying to run the module load command in a Makefile and i'm getting the following error: make: module: command not found Why is this? Is there any way to run this command in a Makefile? NOTE: command - module load msjava/sunjdk/1.5.0 works fine outside of the Makefile (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernandinho
2 Replies

5. Programming

Makefile: multiple target variable substitution

Greetings! Basically, I would like to properly handle this with gnu make: alltools: my_tool mysecond_tool mythird_tool etc_tool %_tool: dir1/%_tool.vf dir2/%_tool/subdir2/%_tool.ver <tab>@echo done %.vf: <tab>RUN_VF $* %.ver: <tab>RUN_VER $* So, if I were to do something like:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harlinator
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Setting/Modifying variable specific to target in Makefile

Hi, I have a small piece of Makefile script which throw's error on Sun Sparc machine, but works fine with Sun Optron, Linux, AIX machines. FOO=Naveen test1:FOO=Dhilip test1: @echo FOO is ${FOO} test2: @echo Me is ${FOO} Output on Sun Sparc - ukhml-v890new-~/test: make test1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsriram
5 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Simple Multi-Level Makefile (Extremely New at Makefile)

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Basically, the prompt is make a makefile with various sub makefiles in their respective subdirectories. All code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tatl
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Makefile doesn't update $< variable

Hello guys, I could use advise from more experienced guys about my Makefile. In short, the problem with my Makefile is that $< doesnt change inside my rule. Here is my Makefile: # Makefile for CORE CC = gcc.exe AS = as.exe AR = ar.exe INCLUDE = \ -I../lib/tomcrypt/inc \... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kodreanu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chopping off the last directory in a Makefile variable

Hi everybody, I have a Makefile where I need to use an environment variable that I set, MYBUILDPATH. The variable can be different depending on the computer, but it always ends with /myBuildRoot/data_tables. Sometimes the data_tables directory will have a slash after it, sometimes not, depending... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with detaching the screen programmatically

Hi, I am using screen utility for protecting from ssh disconnects. My process flow i ssomething like : a) I start screen from my desktop terminl. b)In the screen session, i ssh to one host and execute a command c)Once the above command is completed,i would like to exit via ctr-a or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies
KMK(1)							simple makefiles for complex tasks						    KMK(1)

NAME
kmk - framework for writing simple makefiles for complex tasks SYNOPSIS
kmk [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
kmk and its helper tools are an extension to GNU make to ease writing portable Makefile. The goals of the kBuild framework: - Similar behavior cross all supported platforms. - Flexibility, don't create unnecessary restrictions preventing ad-hoc solutions. - Makefile can very simple to write and maintain. There are four concepts being tried out in the current kBuild incaration: - One configuration file for a subtree automatically included. - Target configuration templates as the primary mechanism for makefile simplification. - Tools and SDKs for helping out the templates with flexibility. - Non-recursive makefile method by using sub-makefiles. kBuild does not provide any facilities for checking compiler/library/header configurations, that's not in its scope. If this is important for your project, check out the autoconf tool in the GNU build system. It is possible to use kBuild together with autoconf if you like, but you might just as well use the full GNU package. On Debian systems, the kBuild binaries can be found in /usr/bin and its data files in /usr/share/kBuild. SEE ALSO
make(1) HOMEPAGE
More information about kBuild project can be found at <http://svn.netlabs.org/kbuild/>. AUTHOR
kBuild was written by Knut St. Osmundsen <bird-kBuild-spam@anduin.net>. This manual page was written by Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). 0.1.98svn2318 2009-04-09 KMK(1)