Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to programmatically generate makefile variable Post 302536013 by benkial on Monday 4th of July 2011 12:43:57 AM
Old 07-04-2011
Corona688, thanks for you reply. I'm kind of new to the makefile business...

You are right, if I use "echo $VERSION" under any of the rules, the "`" expression will be evaluated, and the correct version string will be printed. So, is this the correct way people do to get some contents into the makefile?

This seems kind of odd to me, because each occurrence of $VERSION will cause an evaluation of the "`" expression. This is not what I would expect the behavior for the "variable" be. Or is there a better way to do this in make?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to find usb ports programmatically

I need to find out where a usb flash memory drive is mounted. I have used prtconf and iostat to find the information and then used popen to parse the information to find what i need. I am wondering if there are some generic functions such as ddi_ or usb_ that i can use to find such info. I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtcoelho
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any way to set env variable in top level Makefile and unset when done

Hello I have compilation directory structure the top level Makefile is the one that contains all the sub directories I want to set in this Makefile env variable say : setenv OPTIMIZATION_LEVEL "1" and when all the sub directories done compiling it will set this variable to different lavel... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

alternative for recursive variable in Makefile?

Hi, I want to append some compiler flags to CFLAGS_LOCAl variable defined in one makefile. I am trying to append required flags in another makefile like this: CFALGS_LOCAL = $(CFLAGS_LOCAL) +check=all but when I make, I get the error: ../../../../rules/target.rules:4: *** Recursive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prits31
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Makefile problem - How to run module load in a Makefile

Hi, I'm trying to run the module load command in a Makefile and i'm getting the following error: make: module: command not found Why is this? Is there any way to run this command in a Makefile? NOTE: command - module load msjava/sunjdk/1.5.0 works fine outside of the Makefile (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernandinho
2 Replies

5. Programming

Makefile: multiple target variable substitution

Greetings! Basically, I would like to properly handle this with gnu make: alltools: my_tool mysecond_tool mythird_tool etc_tool %_tool: dir1/%_tool.vf dir2/%_tool/subdir2/%_tool.ver <tab>@echo done %.vf: <tab>RUN_VF $* %.ver: <tab>RUN_VER $* So, if I were to do something like:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harlinator
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Setting/Modifying variable specific to target in Makefile

Hi, I have a small piece of Makefile script which throw's error on Sun Sparc machine, but works fine with Sun Optron, Linux, AIX machines. FOO=Naveen test1:FOO=Dhilip test1: @echo FOO is ${FOO} test2: @echo Me is ${FOO} Output on Sun Sparc - ukhml-v890new-~/test: make test1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsriram
5 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Simple Multi-Level Makefile (Extremely New at Makefile)

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Basically, the prompt is make a makefile with various sub makefiles in their respective subdirectories. All code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tatl
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Makefile doesn't update $< variable

Hello guys, I could use advise from more experienced guys about my Makefile. In short, the problem with my Makefile is that $< doesnt change inside my rule. Here is my Makefile: # Makefile for CORE CC = gcc.exe AS = as.exe AR = ar.exe INCLUDE = \ -I../lib/tomcrypt/inc \... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kodreanu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chopping off the last directory in a Makefile variable

Hi everybody, I have a Makefile where I need to use an environment variable that I set, MYBUILDPATH. The variable can be different depending on the computer, but it always ends with /myBuildRoot/data_tables. Sometimes the data_tables directory will have a slash after it, sometimes not, depending... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with detaching the screen programmatically

Hi, I am using screen utility for protecting from ssh disconnects. My process flow i ssomething like : a) I start screen from my desktop terminl. b)In the screen session, i ssh to one host and execute a command c)Once the above command is completed,i would like to exit via ctr-a or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies
ml-makedepend(1)					      General Commands Manual						  ml-makedepend(1)

NAME
ml-makedepend - list files a ML program depends upon SYNOPSIS
ml-makedepend [ DU-options ] [ -n ] [ -f makefile ] project.cm target ml-makedepend [ DU-options ] [ -a arch ] [ -o os ] [ -f makefile ] project.cm target DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the ml-makedepend command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the origi- nal program does not have a manual page. The ml-makedepend script is part of the SML/NJ CM (Compilation and Library Manager) that is used to generate a list of files that a ML program depends on for use by make. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -n ml-makedepend usually uses the make variables $(ARCH) and $(OPSYS) in the filenames for the Makefile. This option disables this feature. -a arch Use arch in place of $(ARCH). -o os Use os in place of $(OPSYS). -f makefile Name of the makefile to be used rather than the default Makefile. -Dname=value Set CM variable to given value. -Dname Set CM variable to 1. -Uname Unset CM variable. SEE ALSO
sml(1), ml-lex(1), ml-build(1), ml-yacc(1). The programs are documented fully by CM: The SML/NJ Compilation and Library Manager, User Manual, Matthias Blume, which is available via <http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/what/smlnj/doc/CM/new.pdf>. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Aaron Matthew Read <amread@nyx.net>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). October 25, 2002 ml-makedepend(1)