Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xterm problem?
Operating Systems Linux Slackware xterm problem? Post 302534067 by slak0 on Sunday 26th of June 2011 10:51:57 PM
Old 06-26-2011
xterm problem?

My understanding is that /usr/share/terminfo/x/ is populated from a standard set of files and not by compiling, i.e. tic, termcaps.
I am getting from both regular user and root when issuing:
man tic ------> WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
tset -q --------> xterm: unknown terminal type
infocmp ----->can't open /usr/share/terminfo/x/xterm
echo $XTERM --> xterm
Now the xwindow I am getting that in defines itself as: xterm
Can someone tell me where XTERM is defined when I boot the system; I know it is not in /etc/profile, ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc.
The system is Slackware 13.0 (full install) using xfce window manager. Privs are 755 on all directories so don't think they are a problem.
I have also run my scheme using chkrootkit and matched the md5 check sums to the original set created before being used by others/web so I am don't think there has been an intrusion. At a total loss to explain how I got here but am insisting on not reinstalling.

Last edited by slak0; 06-26-2011 at 11:58 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm trivia

Thanks Livin Free... Here's another one... Why is it that I always get the error message "Error: Can't open display:" in my mail whenever I execute or try to call an xterm command using cron to activate the command. What did I miss? Thanks in advance UNIX gurus... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfsuminist
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xterm

Guys: Anyone have ideas on where can I get information or references if I want to learn on how to program with UNIX GUIs? If you do have ideas please let me know. Its a big help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfsuminist
2 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

xterm colors

I'm a new user to unix and I want to be able to pick and choose different xterm colors via 3rd botton menu. I'm currently pico'd into my .fvwm2rc file and this is what I have under my bottons: Please advise ############ # Button 1 #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blica777
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm

Would someone tell me how to save changes in xterm once I've made them using the program options? For example, I type: xterm -bg red and my console window changes color. But how can I now make this attribute save, so that it becomes the default when I relaunch xterm? Any help you can offer... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: af6
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm?

Hello all, This is a lame question because I have been working with unix for some years now, but anyway here it is; What is an xterm? ivo (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ivo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

xterm help?

I want to add a title to this xterm window but cannot figure out how. Can anybody assist with this? xterm +sb -geom 80x25 -ls -tn xterms -tm "intr ^q" -name unikix -e $UNIKIX/bin/unikixl (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: douknownam
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm

hi I'm trying to launch admintool via an export DISPLAY. that is i am doing a rlogin to serverB from serverA. i did the command export DISPLAY=serverA:0 but it prompted me the error DISPLAY=serverA:0: is not an identifier i have searched the forum but there is not much things on this error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: legato
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Xterm problem on Solaris 10

I apologize but didn't find an answer in the Discussions. I use an Exceed xterm just fine with Solaris 8 but it fails to connect to Solaris 10 server: Xterm command line: DISPLAY=@d;export DISPLAY;/usr/openwin/bin/xterm Failure message: "Unable to connect to host using specified start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fusejj
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with xterm & tcsh & sourcing a script in a single command

Hi friends, I have a script that sets the env variable path based on different conditions. Now the new path variable setting should not done in the same terminal or same shell. Only a new terminal or new shell should have the new path env variable set. I am able to do this only as follows: >cd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sowmya005
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with xterm scrollbar

I have a xterm window opening from my Java code. This xterm is opened from the code in this manner: // to run shell command in a xterm window public synchronized void rshd(String title, String commd) { String xt = "xterm -sb -T "; String xtm = xt + title + " -e " + commd; Runtime run =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vanz
1 Replies
tic(1)							      General Commands Manual							    tic(1)

NAME
tic - Translates terminfo files from source to compiled format SYNOPSIS
tic [-v[number]] [-c] [file...] The tic command translates terminfo files from the source format into the compiled format. OPTIONS
Checks the file for errors only. Errors in the use= field are not detected. Writes trace information on the progress of the tic command. The number parameter is an integer, from 0 to 8, that increases the level of verbosity. If number is omitted, the default is 1. DESCRIPTION
If a file is not specified, the tic command reads standard input. The tic command places the results in the /usr/share/lib/terminfo directory. If the TERMINFO environment variable is set, the results are placed there instead of in /usr/share/lib/terminfo. The tic command compiles all terminfo descriptions in the file or files specified by the file variable. When the tic command finds a use= field, it searches first the current file, then reads in the binary from /usr/share/lib/terminfo to complete the entry. If the environment variable TERMINFO is set, that directory is searched instead of /usr/share/lib/terminfo. The size of a compiled entry cannot exceed 4096 bytes and the name field cannot exceed 128 bytes. Terminal names exceeding 14 characters are truncated to 14 characters and a warning message is printed. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the behavior of tic: Causes the command to behave as a System V command if the value of this environment variable is set to SVR4 or svr4. The options designated by [SVR4] are honored while identical non-System V options are ignored. Command output and error messages also follow System V conventions. FILES
Terminal information database. SEE ALSO
Commands: captoinfo(1), infocmp(1) Functions: curses(3) Files: terminfo(4) tic(1)