Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing "Hidden Characters" on a file Post 302533193 by Jin_ on Thursday 23rd of June 2011 03:23:34 AM
Old 06-23-2011
Hi guru,

Thanks for the fast response but my problem is not solved using sed.

I tried using your command but the Linux still cannot interpret the hidden '$' even if we used a escape character. I can only view the '$' using the "set list" function of vi, but I cannot grep the string using a normal vi.

Also, I tried viewing the file using 'od -c' and the output is below:

Quote:
0000560 | I n t e r U n i t \n
The '$' is interpreted as "next line".

---------- Post updated at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:19 PM ----------

Hi itkamaraj,

Can you please explain what the command is doing? I can't see the '$' in there.

UPDATE: I tried the command tr -cd command, but the '$' is still there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File names that contain "01" act hidden

Haveing an issue. Anytime a file is created with "01" (zero one) in the name - it cannot be viewed by LS or any other file listing command. Although the file is there, it cannot be seen. I can edit it, run it, anything, except see it..... What happened? Any ideas? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: n9ninchd
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove "New line characters" and "spaces" at a time

Dear friends, following is the output of a script from which I want to remove spaces and new-line characters. Example:- Line1 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz Line2 mnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl Line3 opqrstuvwxyzabcdefdefg Here in above example, at every starting line there is a “tab” &... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

3. Solaris

removing "/" file system from solaris volume

Hi all, I have created a volume for the root device as d0 and the sub mirror for same is d10. the output from metastat d0 is as below I want to clear these volume , as i cant unmount the "/ " file system , please suggest as how can i clear this. Also the required entries are there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special characeter "~V" in a unix file

I have the Unix XML file as below: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ReportData version="1.0"><DisplayName>Non-Agency CMO Daily Trade Recap - Hybrids</DisplayName><ReportType>MgmtTradingReport</ReportType><Description>Management Trading... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing "^M" from the end of a String (i.e. "Ctrl+M")?

Hello All, I have an Expect script that ssh's to a remote server and runs some commands before exiting. One of the commands I run is the "hostname" Command. After I run this command I save the output using this line in the code below... Basically it executes the hostname command, then I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates on a single "column" (delimited file)

Hello ! I'm quite new to linux but haven't found a script to do this task, unfortunately my knowledge is quite limited on shellscripts... Could you guys help me removing the duplicate lines of a file, based only on a single "column"? For example: M202034357;01/2008;J30RJ021;Ciclo 01... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rufinofr
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
DJVUTXT(1)							   DjVuLibre-3.5							DJVUTXT(1)

NAME
djvutxt - Extract the hidden text from DjVu documents. SYNOPSIS
djvutxt [options] inputdjvufile [outputtxtfile] DESCRIPTION
Program djvutxt decodes the hidden text layer of a DjVu document inputdjvufile and prints it into file outputtxtfile or on the standard output. The hidden text layer is usually generated with the help of an optical character recognition software. Without options -detail and -escape, this program simply outputs the UTF-8 text. Option -detail cause the output of S-expressions describ- ing the text and its location. Option -escape uses C-style escape sequences to represent nonprintable non-ASCII characters. OPTIONS
--page=pagespec Specify which pages should be processed. When this option is not specified, the text of all pages of the documents is concatenated into the output file. The page specification pagespec contains one or more comma-separated page ranges. A page range is either a page number, or two page numbers separated by a dash. For instance, specification 1-10 outputs pages 1 to 10, and specification 1,3,99999-4 outputs pages 1 and 3, followed by all the document pages in reverse order up to page 4. --detail=keyword This options causes djvutxt to output S-expressions specifying the position of the text in the page. See the manual page djvused(1) for a description of the output format. Argument keyword specifies the maximum level of detail for which text location is reported. The recognized values are: page, column, region, para, line, word, and char. All other values are interpreted as char. --escape Output escape sequences of the form "ooo" for all non ASCII or non printable UTF-8 characters and for the backslash character. REMARKS
Use program djvused(1) for more control over the text layer. CREDITS
This program was initially written by Andrei Erofeev <andrew_erofeev@yahoo.com> and was then improved Bill Riemers <docbill@source- forge.net> and many others. It was then rewritten to use the ddjvuapi by Leon Bottou <leonb@sourceforge.net>. SEE ALSO
djvu(1), djvused(1) DjVuLibre-3.5 10/11/2001 DJVUTXT(1)