Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local Post 302531780 by chancho on Saturday 18th of June 2011 12:32:16 AM
Old 06-18-2011
sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local

I was following a tutorial on installing Homebrew and I changed the ownership of /usr/local/ to me. Now McAfee Security won't start This is the exact line I typed:

Code:
sudo chown -R `whoami` /usr/local

Then I tried to fix it with:
Code:
sudo chown -R root /usr/local

I still can't start mcafee. It say "McAfee Security software failed to launch. error Code: 1

I'm not sure who the original owner and group were. also in the process of installing Homebrew I changed permissions with
Code:
sudo chmod o-w/usr/local/bin
sudo chmod o-w /usr/local

I Think I changed them back correctly with:
Code:
sudo chmod o+w /user/local  
sudo chmod o+w /usr/local/bin

Does anyone know what I need to do to get Mcafee working again?

Here is what ls -l looks like for those directories
Code:
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  staff    68 Jun 17 10:20 Cellar
drwxr-xr-x   6 root  staff   204 Jun 16 23:58 Library
drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel   340 Nov 16  2009 McAfee
-rw-r--r--   1 root  staff  1603 Jun 16 23:58 README.md
drwxrwxrwx  31 root  staff  1054 Jun 16 23:59 bin
drwxr-xr-x   8 root  wheel   272 Sep 23  2010 git
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  wheel   136 Sep 12  2010 hermes
drwxrwxrwx   6 root  wheel   204 May  2 20:57 include
drwxrwxrwx  23 root  wheel   782 May  2 20:57 lib
drwxrwxrwx   4 root  wheel   136 Nov 16  2009 man
drwxrwxr-x   3 root  staff   102 Oct  7  2010 sbin
drwxrwxrwx  10 root  wheel   340 Jun 16 23:58 share

Any advice is welcome

---------- Post updated at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:11 AM ----------

I rebooted and McAfee starts up. I'm hoping that everything is the way it should be. I can't run a manual update, but that may be because its already up to date.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

configure /usr/local/etc/be-agent.cfg

hi Howto configure Ralus at /usr/local/etc/be-agent.cfg on freeBSD 7.0 for Backup Exec 9.1? I've tried the following: # cat /usr/local/etc/be-agent.cfg name bsd.domain export / as root export /usr as usr export /var as var export /tmp as tmp force_address 10.10.1.50 tell... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Questions about /usr/local/bin & scripts.

Hi gentlemen. For what intended is the directory /usr/local/bin? In this directory are some script. I don't understand how these scripts being in this directory are started. Each time after registration of the user occurs start of these scripts. These scripts start applications. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/local/lib is not searched by ld-linux.so by default?

it seems that /usr/local/lib is not searched by ld-linux.so by default in fedora14. If so, why some software put its lib files in /usr/local/lib? eg: glib and gtk+. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between /opt and /usr/local.

Hello Gurus, Can any one explain me the difference between /opt and /usr/local. When should we use them. Can we link with any directory in windows I mean similarity between unix and windows. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
7 Replies

5. AIX

/usr/local/bin/cvs: Not found

I can able to access /usr/local/bin/cvs in the terminal (AIX 6.1 Box). but i am getting the "/usr/local/bin/cvs: Not found " when i call it from the script. please some one assist me what maybe problem (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hifirockz
6 Replies

6. Solaris

restrict sudo and chown in specified directory

Hi Dears, I have one requirement like this: general user A can execute command C with root privilege by sudo configuration some folders and files are created during the command C execution user A cannot access those folders and files because the owner is root user, so I want the user A... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crest.boy
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

/usr/local/bin/expr function not working

Legends, I am not able to set "expr" function in ksh script. Below is the sample code i used, and output is as "Syntax error" Please help me to come out of it. OUTPUT (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chmod working in sudo run script but chown isn't

My git user has permission in sudoers to run a wrapper script to move files into my webroot. Everything is working fine except for the chown line. After the script has run, the files ar still root:root instead of apache:apache. Scratching my head...:confused: #!/bin/sh echo echo "****... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
4 Replies

9. Fedora

Clueless re Java: /opt vs. /usr/local

It seems this is a oft debated item, that's over my head. So here's what I've got: Java 7 set up at /opt/ but I really want it at /usr/local... What have I done? Have: Debian 7 (whezzy) with gnome, so what do I do to set things back where it should be? I guess this is a hot topic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sas
3 Replies

10. BSD

FreeBSD: /usr/bin/ld not looking in /usr/local/lib

I'm not sure if this is the default behavior for the ld command, but it does not seem to be looking in /usr/local/lib for shared libraries. I was trying to compile the latest version of Kanatest from svn. The autorgen.sh script seems to exit without too much trouble: $ ./autogen.sh checking... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AntumDeluge
2 Replies
CHOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  CHOWN(8)

NAME
chown -- change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ... chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chown utility changes the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified files. Symbolic links named by arguments are silently left unchanged unless -h is used. The options are as follows: -f Don't report any failure to change file owner or group, nor modify the exit status to reflect such failures. -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the user ID and/or the group ID of the link itself. -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. Instead, the user and/or group ID of the link itself are modified. This is the default. Use -h to change the user ID and/or the group of symbolic links. -R Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -v Cause chown to be verbose, showing files as the owner is modified. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The owner and group operands are both optional; however, at least one must be specified. If the group operand is specified, it must be pre- ceded by a colon (``:'') character. The owner may be either a numeric user ID or a user name. If a user name is also a numeric user ID, the operand is used as a user name. The group may be either a numeric group ID or a group name. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. For obvious security reasons, the ownership of a file may only be altered by a super-user. Similarly, only a member of a group can change a file's group ID to that group. DIAGNOSTICS
The chown utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the chown utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. This has been changed to be a colon (``:'') character, so that user and group names may contain the dot character. On previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have owners. The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. LEGACY DESCRIPTION
In legacy mode, the -R and -RP options do not change the user ID or the group ID of symbolic links. SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), find(1), chown(2), fts(3), compat(5), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The chown utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compliant. HISTORY
A chown utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
March 31, 1994 BSD