Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux users can't sftp into my server Post 302529762 by pludi on Friday 10th of June 2011 10:26:58 AM
Old 06-10-2011
For some reason the SFTP child process terminates immediately after being started:
Code:
subsystem request for sftp
debug1: subsystem: exec() /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server
debug1: Received SIGCHLD.
debug1: session_by_pid: pid 13727

Check if the program /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server really exists, and is runable by regular users.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SFTP plugin for Windows Users?

I've had the hardest time getting my Windows users (technically proficient users who grew up with VAX.VMS systems) to abandon FTP and TELNET for SSH and SFTP/SCP. It's getting to the point where I'm getting seriously angry at them for being "stupid". With that little bit of complaint aside after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deckard
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Limiting SFTP Users While Not Limiting Regular Users?

Hi, I have searched the web and have come back with nothing that is satisfactory for what I require. SFTP is my corporations new file transfer standard. What I require is a method to lock down SFTP users to their directory (they may go to sub directories) while not restricting regular users. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emancipator
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

umask for internal-sftp users ?

Hello, Running Debian 5. SSH version 5.1p1-5. How do I set umask for sftp only users ? Users are jailed - that means they use internal-sftp: # cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config .......... Match group group1 ChrootDirectory /home/%u X11Forwarding no AllowTcpForwarding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Loggin SFTP activity for chrooted (rssh) users

Hi, I need to log the activity of my SFTP (RHEL 5.4). I have this in /etc/sshd/sshd_config: Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server -f LOCAL5 -l VERBOSE And this in /etc/syslog.conf: LOCAL5.* /var/log/sftp.log When I log in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tr0cken
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

sftp configuration | to lock users to their home folder.

In generally I use vsftp but I want to improve our security so I decide to use sftp instead of vsftp. We know that ssh,scp and sftp are in openssh server. How can I lock only sftp user to their home folder? And to prevent some users for sftp like root as such in vsftp daemon? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Restricting multiple users to run only sftp server

Hello, can someone please provide steps, can I restrict a multiple users to only access only sftp on a server, to perform upload and download of files on their home directories. 1. I have updated their login shell as /sbin/nologin. anything else do I need to update. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Chroot sftp users, remote sftp login shows wrong timestamp on files

Hello, I have a weird issue, I have RHEL 5.7 running with openssh5.2 where sftpgroup OS group is chroot. I see the difference difference in timestamp on files, when I login via ssh and SFTP, I see four hour difference, is something missing in my configuration. #pwd... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needed SFTP script from windows to UNIX server and from UNIX to windows server(reverse SFTP)

hi guys, i need a script to sftp the file from windows to unix server ....(before that i have to check whether the file exists in the windows server or not and again i have to reverse sftp the files from unix to windows server..... regards, Vasa Saikumar. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
13 Replies

9. IP Networking

SFTP connection using two different users

Hi All This is regarding an SFTP Password less connection. I am logged into my local Server1 using username1. The remote server i have to connect is "Remoteserver1" with the "useriD" provided. I have already exchanged the public key and they are added to the authorized keys in the remote... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSh works but sftp doesn't for all users except root

I am sorry if i post in wrong Form. i have AIX server in which ssh works for all users but sftp only works for root user . it is too much important for me to solve this . Your help will be greatly appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khalid khanAIB
1 Replies
SFTP-SERVER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    SFTP-SERVER(8)

NAME
sftp-server -- SFTP server subsystem SYNOPSIS
sftp-server [-ehR] [-f log_facility] [-l log_level] [-u umask] DESCRIPTION
sftp-server is a program that speaks the server side of SFTP protocol to stdout and expects client requests from stdin. sftp-server is not intended to be called directly, but from sshd(8) using the Subsystem option. Command-line flags to sftp-server should be specified in the Subsystem declaration. See sshd_config(5) for more information. Valid options are: -e Causes sftp-server to print logging information to stderr instead of syslog for debugging. -f log_facility Specifies the facility code that is used when logging messages from sftp-server. The possible values are: DAEMON, USER, AUTH, LOCAL0, LOCAL1, LOCAL2, LOCAL3, LOCAL4, LOCAL5, LOCAL6, LOCAL7. The default is AUTH. -h Displays sftp-server usage information. -l log_level Specifies which messages will be logged by sftp-server. The possible values are: QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE, DEBUG, DEBUG1, DEBUG2, and DEBUG3. INFO and VERBOSE log transactions that sftp-server performs on behalf of the client. DEBUG and DEBUG1 are equivalent. DEBUG2 and DEBUG3 each specify higher levels of debugging output. The default is ERROR. -R Places this instance of sftp-server into a read-only mode. Attempts to open files for writing, as well as other operations that change the state of the filesystem, will be denied. -u umask Sets an explicit umask(2) to be applied to newly-created files and directories, instead of the user's default mask. For logging to work, sftp-server must be able to access /dev/log. Use of sftp-server in a chroot configuration therefore requires that syslogd(8) establish a logging socket inside the chroot directory. SEE ALSO
sftp(1), ssh(1), sshd_config(5), sshd(8) T. Ylonen and S. Lehtinen, SSH File Transfer Protocol, draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-00.txt, January 2001, work in progress material. HISTORY
sftp-server first appeared in OpenBSD 2.8. AUTHORS
Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org> BSD
January 9, 2010 BSD