Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to make programs available to all users Post 302529120 by subodh.thakar on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 02:57:36 PM
Old 06-08-2011
Code:
dpkg -l

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 06-11-2011 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to make a script executable by all users?

I have a script in my home direcroty which upon execution gives the essential system information like memory,cpu etc and is currently owned by root:root. Now I want to see that every non root user will run this file and grab the reqired system info. I know this is some thing associated with chown... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrs0302
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

make script deleting mp3 with warnig to users

hi i need to make a script that will check the directories of the users on mp3 or mp4 files. if so they must be automaticly deleted and they have to get a warning message instead. this should be running every day at 1 pm and should be done within the cron file. could someone help me with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stefan
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Gani Network Driver Won't Install - make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make targ...

I attached a README file that I will refer to. I successfully completed everything in the README file until step 4. # pwd /gani/gani-2.4.4 # ls COPYING Makefile.macros gem.c Makefile Makefile.sparc_gcc gem.h Makefile.amd64_gcc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Are programs like sys_open( ) ,sys_read( ) et al examples of system level programs ?

Are the programs written on schedulers ,thread library , process management, memory management, et al called systems programs ? How are they different from the programs that implement functions like open() , printf() , scanf() , read() .. they have a prefix sys_open, sys_close, sys_read etc , right... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
1 Replies

5. Solaris

To restrict the users not to change the passwords for NIS users

Hi All, How to restrict the NIS users not to change their passwords in for NIS users?? and my NIS user is unable to login to at client location what could be the problem for this ? Any body can help me. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sharath Kumar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple users with individual passwords to users

hi, i am new to shell scripts i write a shell script to create multiple users but i need to give passwords to that users while creating users, command to write this script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DONFOX
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to make ldappasswd use {SHA} instead of {SSHA} for users passwords in openldap?

Is it possible to use {SHA} with ldappasswd? I didn't find responsible option in manual page and doc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urello
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command - filename as arguments - make executable to all users.

Edit: Sorry. Mistakenly posted - please delete (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reddax
3 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Alternatives to GNU Make for users of newer OS X

As you may already know, Apple has integrated all the GNU developer tools into their own graphical development environment so you can no longer use them from the command line. This means that open source software that is distributed as source is inaccessible to users of newer versions of Mac OS X,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between inbuilt suid programs and user defined root suid programs under bash shell?

Hey guys, Suppose i run passwd via bash shell. It is a suid program, which temporarily runs as root(owner) and modifies the user entries. However, when i write a C file and give 4755 permission and root ownership to the 'a.out' file , it doesn't run as root in bash shell. I verified this by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syncmaster
2 Replies
dpkg-statoverride(1)						    dpkg suite						      dpkg-statoverride(1)

NAME
dpkg-statoverride - override ownership and mode of files SYNOPSIS
dpkg-statoverride [option...] command DESCRIPTION
"stat overrides" are a way to tell dpkg(1) to use a different owner or mode for a path when a package is installed (this applies to any filesystem object that dpkg handles, including directories, devices, etc.). This can be used to force programs that are normally setuid to be install without a setuid flag, or only executable by a certain group. dpkg-statoverride is a utility to manage the list of stat overrides. It has three basic functions: adding, removing and listing overrides. COMMANDS
--add user group mode path Add an override for path. path does not need to exist when this command is used; the override will be stored and used later. Users and groups can be specified by their name (for example root or nobody), or by their number by prepending the number with a '#' (for example #0 or #65534). The mode needs to be specified in octal. If --update is specified and path exists, it is immediately set to the new owner and mode. --remove path Remove an override for path, the status of path is left unchanged by this command. --list [glob-pattern] List all overrides. If a glob pattern is specified restrict the output to overrides which match the glob. --help Show the usage message and exit. --version Show the version and exit. OPTIONS
--admindir directory Change the directory of the dpkg database where the statoverride file is also stored. Defaults to /var/lib/dpkg. --force Force an action, even if a sanity check would otherwise prohibit it. This is necessary to override an existing override. --update Immediately try to change the path to the new owner and mode if it exists. --quiet Be less verbose about what we do. EXIT STATUS
0 The requested action was successfully performed. 1 For --list, if there are no overrides or none match the supplied glob. 2 Fatal or unrecoverable error due to invalid command-line usage, or interactions with the system, such as accesses to the database, memory allocations, etc. ENVIRONMENT
DPKG_ADMINDIR If set and the --admindir option has not been specified, it will be used as the dpkg data directory. FILES
/var/lib/dpkg/statoverride File which contains the current list of stat overrides of the system. It is located in the dpkg administration directory, along with other files important to dpkg, such as status or available. Note: dpkg-statoverride preserves the old copy of this file, with extension "-old", before replacing it with the new one. SEE ALSO
dpkg(1). 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 dpkg-statoverride(1)