Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Server usually restart not reason Post 302529044 by click on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 11:25:54 AM
Old 06-08-2011
Nothing related in this log, except that there was a logged user before the reboot?

Code:
Jun  4 00:06:39 <name_sever> gconfd (root-7195): starting (version 2.14.0), pid 7195 user 'root'

I`m not very familiar with gnome and its logs, but you can check if the box was not rebooted by user(if gnome logs that) and who was logged before the reboot with last. Other wise look trought the logs and ask if you find something fishy. If this don`t result in anything check hardware(memory, CPU, storage, motherboard etc) and enable auditing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount: failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

Hi , I have a filesystem on AIX 4.3.3 which i need to share with other clients who use Windows NT and Redhat linux 7.3. I use samba to share this with Windows NT Clients. Now i was to share this with Linux clients. When i try to nfs mount this on Linux i get "mount: failed, reason given by... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sushesh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I restart X server ?

WITHOUT shutdown X ??? thanks , Ivan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oneivan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to restart the tomcat server

hi, I need a command that restart the tomcat server. for example for restart the tomcat i am using following command, /etc/init.d/tomcat restart ..but sometimes is not working...might be i want to use java code access this peace of script. like using the grep and ps commands can i use?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar reddy
2 Replies

4. SuSE

How to check Server reboot reason

Hi, I want to know how can we check Server reboot reason on Suse linux ? or what caused server to reboot or hung. anyone knows abut the it. ? Bryan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryanabhay
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Restart Xvnc server

Hi My i ask how to restart the Xvnc server running on a solaris box. This is the Xvnc server running process: Xvnc:1 -httpd /usr/local/vnc/classes -geometry 1024x768 -rfbwait 5000 -rfauth <dir> -rfbport <port no> -alwaysshared Additional Question: 1. Should i kill the process and restart... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restart Linux server

Hello all: I am new to LINUX/UNIX administration task. My Infrastructure admin has allocated me a special lab server in client location. Per my requirement, had chanted few settings in LINUX/UNIX and need to reboot the server. I am the "root" user. I had used "shutdown -r now" at command line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Unix server restart automatically

We have HP K class unix server, It's automatically restart the server. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh24pal
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to restart a service in secondary server.

Can any one help me with a script to restart secondary server and sync data in it.. smsc101-0:ssh smsc101-1 "invoke-rc.d smsc restart" pwd:*** smsc101-0:rsync -avz /usr/local/smsc/data smsc101-1:/usr/local/npac/data (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chinuku
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UI accessiblity problem when using cronjob for server restart

Hi, I have a couch Db server running. I have written a script which will check and kill the multiple instances of the same and then start again a new one. Now when i start the db server manually, the UI of the DB is accessible via browser. But when i do the same using cronjob, the UI of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarath@123
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Restart the web server

Hi, Unix AIX, on WebLogic How to Restart the web server Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies
UTMP(5) 						      BSD File Formats Manual							   UTMP(5)

NAME
utmp, wtmp, lastlog -- login records SYNOPSIS
#include <utmp.h> DESCRIPTION
The file <utmp.h> declares the structures used to record information about current users in the file utmp, logins and logouts in the file wtmp, and last logins in the file lastlog. The time stamps of date changes, shutdowns and reboots are also logged in the wtmp file. The wtmp file can grow rapidly on busy systems, and is normally rotated with newsyslog(8). These files must be created manually; if they do not exist, they are not created automatically. #define _PATH_UTMP "/var/run/utmp" #define _PATH_WTMP "/var/log/wtmp" #define _PATH_LASTLOG "/var/log/lastlog" #define UT_NAMESIZE 8 #define UT_LINESIZE 8 #define UT_HOSTSIZE 16 struct lastlog { time_t ll_time; char ll_line[UT_LINESIZE]; char ll_host[UT_HOSTSIZE]; }; struct utmp { char ut_line[UT_LINESIZE]; char ut_name[UT_NAMESIZE]; char ut_host[UT_HOSTSIZE]; time_t ut_time; }; Each time a user logs in, the login(1) program looks up the user's UID in the file lastlog. If it is found, the timestamp of the last time the user logged in, the terminal line and the hostname are written to the standard output, providing the login is not set quiet; see login(1). The login(1) program then records the new login time in the file lastlog. After the new lastlog record is written, the file utmp is opened and the utmp record for the user inserted. This record remains there until the user logs out at which time it is deleted (by clearing the user and host fields, and updating the timestamp field). The utmp file is used by the programs rwho(1), users(1), w(1), and who(1). Next, the login(1) program opens the file wtmp, and appends the user's utmp record. When the user logs out, a utmp record with the tty line, an updated time stamp, and cleared user and host fields is appended to the file by init(8). The wtmp file is used by the programs last(1) and ac(8). In the event of a date change, a shutdown or reboot, the following items are logged in the wtmp file. reboot shutdown A system reboot or shutdown has been initiated. The character '~' is placed in the field ut_line, and reboot or shutdown in the field ut_name (see shutdown(8) and reboot(8)). date The system time has been manually or automatically updated by date(1). The command name date is recorded in the field ut_name. In the field ut_line, the character '|' indicates the time prior to the change, and the character '{' indicates the new time. FILES
/var/run/utmp The utmp file. /var/log/wtmp The wtmp file. /var/log/lastlog The lastlog file. SEE ALSO
last(1), login(1), w(1), who(1), utmpx(5), ac(8), init(8), lastlogin(8), newsyslog(8) HISTORY
A utmp and wtmp file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. The lastlog file format appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
May 14, 2003 BSD