Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mkdir: cannot create directory `/builds/somedir/': Permission denied Post 302526785 by Corona688 on Wednesday 1st of June 2011 12:45:11 PM
Old 06-01-2011
Is the script running mkdir, or mkdir -p? without -p, mkdir will always fail when the directory already exists.

Depending on what groups harry belongs to, it may be possible to remedy the permissions without resort to ACLs.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

./ Permission Denied.

Could someone tell me why I am getting a permission denied message when I attempt to run this on an out file? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: trouscaillon
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Permission denied message for parent directory

Hi All, I have an issue that's eating my head for few days. I would appreciate if anyone could help me out in this to resolve this. In Solaris 8 container I am facing the below issue. As oracle user when I do ls -l in /dboracle mountpoint getting permission denied error messages. $ ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreerag446
3 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

mkdir: cannot create directory

Hi, I have network mount on two servers. One server I can create any directories without any issues, other server with the similar mount, I am not able to create directories starting with number! Creation, name start with a number: $ mkdir 1212 mkdir: cannot create directory `1212': No such... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] how to create multiple directory in one mkdir command

Hi, Unix Gurus, - I have a simple question, I need create multiple directory. I use mkdir {dir1, dir2, dir3) I got one directory as {dir1, dir2, dir3} I searched @ google, I got answer as above code.:wall::confused: Anybody has any idea Thanks in advance ---------- Post updated... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Mkdir: cannot create directory `/home/phpmy/html': Permission denied centos

for incompatibility installation problems, I've decided to reinstall Centos 6.3 as can be seem from the df output, I've partitioned both / and and /home directories $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda8 12G 5.3G 6.5G 45% / tmpfs ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to create a script to run as root, permission denied

Hello all, I am trying to create a script or a .command file that will run for me and my other techs on many, many Mac OSX computers that will add a file to the /etc/ folder called /etc/launchd.conf Every time I try to run the script, I get "Permission Denied" when trying to put the file into... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DonnieNarco
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mkdir a/b/c # where a/b does not exists. is it possible to create it ?

Is is possible to create the directories in following manner. for example my home dir is empty and i want to create dir a/b/c mkdir a/b/c # where a/b does not exists. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission to Oracle server to create a directory in a particular path

i need to give permission to ORACLE SERVER to create a directory in a particular path. How to do it?Oracle server is installed on SOLARIS (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
16 Replies

9. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies
mkdir(1)						      General Commands Manual							  mkdir(1)

NAME
mkdir - Makes a directory SYNOPSIS
mkdir [-m mode] [-p] directory... STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: mkdir: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Sets the file permissions to mode, a symbolic mode string as defined for chmod, after creating the specified directory. The mode argument can be either an absolute mode string or a symbolic mode string as defined for chmod. See the chmod(1) reference page. In symbolic mode strings, the operation characters + and - are interpreted relative to an assumed initial mode of a=rwx, A + adds permissions to the default mode, whereas a - deletes permissions from the default mode. Creates intermediate directories as neces- sary; otherwise, the full path name prefix to directory must already exist. The user must have mkdir write permission in the parent directory. Each component of directory that does not name an existing directory is created with mode 777, modified by the current file mode creation mask (umask). The equivalent of chmod u+wx is performed on each component to ensure that mkdir can create lower directo- ries regardless of the setting of umask. Each component of directory that names an existing directory is ignored without error. If an intermediate path name component exists, but permissions are set to prevent writing or searching, mkdir fails and returns an error message. The mode argument does not apply to any intermediate directories created when the -p option is specified. OPERANDS
The path name of the directory to be created. DESCRIPTION
The mkdir command creates new directories with read, write, and execute permissions based upon the permissions established by the umask setting. [Tru64 UNIX] The mkdir command also creates the standard entries (dot) for the directory itself and (dot dot) for its parent. NOTES
Some of the requested directories may be created although an error occurs subsequent to the directory creation. If the directory specified by the -p option already exists, the command does not return an error status, in compliance with POSIX.2. [Tru64 UNIX] To make a new directory, you must have write permission in the parent directory. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: All requested directories were created, or the -p option was used and all of the requested directo- ries now exist. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To create a new directory called test, enter: mkdir test To set file permissions for new directory test in absolute mode, enter: mkdir -m 444 test To set file permissions for new directory test in symbolic mode, enter: mkdir -m+rw test ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of mkdir: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: chmod(1), rm(1), rmdir(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p), umask(1) Functions: mkdir(2) Standards: standards(5) mkdir(1)