Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get all File names starting with letter P Post 302522847 by KenJackson on Monday 16th of May 2011 09:23:50 PM
Old 05-16-2011
Your solution works if all the files have a period in the name.

If you want it to work even on files with no period, use: $HOME/[pP]*

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of Files Sizes starting with a letter...

Can we find some of size of all files in a directry where file names start with an letter t* the out put of ls -ls t* is 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 61 Jul 03 10:56 t 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 3146 Jul 19 11:11 t1 4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root system ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing all the files names not starting as

hello all, iam new to shell scripting.I have searched the forum and could'nd find a close enough answer and hence this post: I want to list all the file names whose names don't start as abc. For example if my folder constains files with names: abc123.txt,erdf23.rdf,ed45r.fmb i want a... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: valluvan
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell - Matching 3 letter file names

Hi I am running a shell script with bdf command and want to match all files with length 3 inside a specific partitions. How do i do that say for example if i want to list all files with length 3 in /home/jimmy partition, bdf /home/jimmy the output i need is xyx abc yyy amp ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort lines in different files based on the starting letter

Hi ,, i have the below file... D 2342135 B 214236 C argjlksd V lskjrghaklsr C slkrgj B sdg4tsd E aslkgjlkasg i want to sort the lines into different files based on the starting letter of the line. so that i have different files for lines starting with a letter. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jathin12
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Grep for filetype starting with letter p

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Which files in /usr/bin whose names begin with “p” are python scripts? Store the numbered results in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alindner
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific letter in a file by other letter

Good afternoon all, I want to ask how to change some letter in my file with other letter in spesific line eg. data.txt 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 for example i want to change the 4th line with character 1. How could I do it by SED or AWK. I have tried to run this code but actually did not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort alphabetically starting from specified letter

Hi. I'm trying to sort a list of items in a file alphabetically but starting from the letter 'X'. For instance if I had the following file; test.txt Z A T W Y B S X I would like the output to look like; X Y (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmab
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
ARP2ETHERS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     ARP2ETHERS(8)

NAME
arp2ethers - convert arpwatch address database to ethers file format SYNOPSIS
arp2ethers [ arp.dat file ] DESCRIPTION
arp2ethers converts the file /var/lib/arpwatch/arp.dat (or the file specified on the command line) into ethers(5) format on stdout. Usu- ally arp.dat is an ethernet/ip database file generated by arpwatch(8). The arpwatch daemon in Debian will create different arp.dat depend- ing on its configuration. All of them will be available at /var/lib/arpwatch/. FILES
/var/lib/arpwatch - default directory for arp.dat arp.dat - ethernet/ip address database SEE ALSO
arpwatch(8), ethers(5), rarp(8), arp(8), BUGS
Please send bug reports to arpwatch@ee.lbl.gov. AUTHORS
Original version by Craig Leres of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Network Research Group, University of California, Berkeley, CA. Modified for the Debian Project by Peter Kelemen, with additions from Erik Warmelink. The current version is available via anonymous ftp: ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/arpwatch.tar.gz This manual page was contributed by Hugo Graumann. ARP2ETHERS(8)