Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How 2 run same command across all open terminals Post 302520966 by agama on Monday 9th of May 2011 10:45:32 PM
Old 05-09-2011
To my knowledge you'll have to manually source the rc file in each running instance of the shell.

If you want to be clever, and anticipate doing this often enough, you could put the following command into your .bashrc file:

Code:
trap ". $HOME/.bashrc" 16

Once that is set in a running instance of bash, you then only need to send a SIGUSR1 (16) to the process and it will resource the .bashrc file. You could write a small script that susses out all of your running login/interactive shells and executes the necessary kill -16 command. You could pick another signal, but this seems just fine for this case.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by agama; 05-09-2011 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: typo
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the command to connect to remote terminals

what is the command to connect to remote terminals? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sendtorohitgupt
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

one command for all unix terminals

Hi, I am working in huge environment, I do type commands from my terminal window repeadly in all same setup unix environments. I am looking some kind of a terminal emulator or some simple program that will help me? basically if type command like 'ls' in one unix terminal window it should echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgmekala
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

open terminal to run cmd using shell script

i want the shell script to open the terminal and in that terminal i want to run a command specified in the script... how can it be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrabhushan
2 Replies

4. AIX

How to open multiple virtual terminals to a single LPAR

I just wondering if there are ways to open multiple virtual terminal to a single LPAR. After I have use putty to login to the VIOS. I will use mkvt -id <LPAR id> to open console but if my friend want to open 2 second one, it will say, VT already connected. IS there a way to work this around ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingcross
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How run simple command in xterm, and leave open?

I have written a simple script to show battery life remaining. I would like to be able to quickly view it with a predefined keybinding or launcher. xterm -e scriptname should do the trick but the xterm closes when the script finishes, not giving me chance to read the output. How can I keep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoovy
3 Replies

6. Linux

How to open a gnome-terminal in specific workspace and run script within it automatically upon login

OK this is a bit messy. I run Fedora with gnome on a compiz desktop, I have a script (userstart) that opens my 'standard' environment for all my machines when I login. userstart flips to a specific workspace and then opens the required applications in that workspace then flips to the next... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to run commands in different terminals

hi, how to write shell script that runs different commands(like:ls,ps,ls-l) in differnt terminals(each command should run in different terminal). my main motive is to run different 'c' program exe's available in different locations in different terminals. thanks sai (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saidopdf
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open gnome-terminal with multi tabs and automatically run a script in each tab

Hi All , i am trying to create an alias to open a new gnome-terminal and run some commands in each tab & to have a specific name for each tab i am using csh , tried this command gnome-terminal --tab -t "s1" --tab -t "s2" --tab -t "s3" --tab -t "s4" it opened 4 tabs but the title didn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Assem
0 Replies
PERLBREW(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      PERLBREW(1p)

NAME
perlbrew - Perl environment manager. SYNOPSIS
perlbrew command syntax: perlbrew <command> [options] [arguments] Commands: init Initialize perlbrew environment. install Install perl uninstall Uninstall the given installation available List perls available to install lib Manage local::lib directories. alias Give perl installations a new name list List perl installations use Use the specified perl in current shell off Turn off perlbrew in current shell switch Permanently use the specified perl as default switch-off Permanently turn off perlbrew (revert to system perl) self-upgrade Upgrade perlbrew itself. install-cpanm Install cpanm, a friendly companion. install-patchperl Install patchperl mirror Pick a preferred mirror site version Display version help Read more detailed instructions Options for "install" command: -f --force Force installation -j $n Parallel buildng and testing. ex. C<perlbrew install -j 5 perl-5.14.2> -n --notest Skip testing --as Install the given version of perl by a name. ex. C<perlbrew install perl-5.6.2 --as legacy-perl> -D,-U,-A Switches passed to perl Configure script. ex. C<perlbrew install perl-5.10.1 -D usemymalloc -U uselargefiles> --sitecustomize $filename Specify a file to be installed as sitecustomize.pl Generic command options: -q --quiet Be quiet on informative output message. -v --verbose Tell me more about it. See `perlbrew help` for the full documentation of perlbrew, or See `perlbrew help <command>` for detail description of the command. INSTALLATION
It is the simpleist to use the perlbrew installer, just paste this statement to your terminal: curl -kL http://install.perlbrew.pl | bash Or this one, if you have "fetch" (default on FreeBSD): fetch -o- http://install.perlbrew.pl | sh After that, "perlbrew" installs itself to "~/perl5/perlbrew/bin", and you should follow the instruction on screen to modify your shell rc file to put it in your PATH. The installed perlbrew command is a standalone executable that can be run with system perl. The minimun system perl version requirement is 5.8.0, which should be good enough for most of the OSes these days. A packed version of "patchperl" to "~/perl5/perlbrew/bin", which is required to build old perls. The directory "~/perl5/perlbrew" will contain all install perl executables, libraries, documentations, lib, site_libs. In the documentation, that directory is referred as "perlbrew root". If you need to set it to somewhere else because, say, your HOME has limited quota, you can do that by setting "PERLBREW_ROOT" environment variable before running the installer: export PERLBREW_ROOT=/opt/perl5 curl -kL http://install.perlbrew.pl | bash You may also install perlbrew from CPAN: cpan App::perlbrew In this case, the perlbrew command is installed as "/usr/bin/perlbrew" or "/usr/local/bin/perlbrew" or others, depending on the location of your system perl installation. Please make sure not to run this with one of the perls brewed with perlbrew. It's the best to turn perlbrew off before you run that, if you're upgrading. perlbrew off cpan App::perlbrew You should always use system cpan (like /usr/bin/cpan) to install "App::perlbrew" because it will be installed under a system PATH like "/usr/bin", which is not affected by perlbrew "switch" or "use" command. The "self-upgrade" command will not upgrade the perlbrew installed by cpan command, but it is also easy to upgrade perlbrew by running `cpan App::perlbrew` again. CONFIGURATION
PERLBREW_ROOT By default, perlbrew builds and installs perls into "$ENV{HOME}/perl5/perlbrew" directory. To use a different directory, set this environment variable in your "bashrc" to the directory in your shell RC before sourcing perlbrew's RC. It is possible to share one perlbrew root with multilpe user account on the same machine. Therefore people do not have to install the same version of perl over an over. Let's say "/opt/perl5" is the directory we want to share. All users should be able append this snippet to their bashrc to make it effective: export PERLBREW_ROOT=/opt/perl5 source ${PERLBREW_ROOT}/etc/bashrc After doing so, everone's PATH should include "/opt/perl5/bin" and "/opt/perl5/perls/${PERLBREW_PERL}/bin". Each user can invoke "perlbrew switch" and "perlbrew use" to independently switch to different perl environment of their choice. However, only the user with write permission to $PERLBREW_ROOT may install CPAN modules. This is both good and bad depending on the working convention of your team. If you wish to install CPAN modules only for yourself, you should use the "lib" command to construct a personal local::lib environment. local::lib environments are personal, and are not shared between different users. For more detail, read "perlbrew help lib" and the documentation of local::lib. If you want even a cooler module isolation and wish to install CPAN modules used for just one project, you should use carton for this purpose. It is also possible to set this variable before installing perlbrew to make perlbrew install itself under the given PERLBREW_ROOT: export PERLBREW_ROOT=/opt/perl5 curl -kL http://install.perlbrew.pl | bash After doing this, the perlbrew executable is installed as "/opt/perl5/bin/perlbrew" PERLBREW_HOME By default, perlbrew stores per-user setting to "$ENV{HOME}/.perlbrew" directory. To use a different directory, set this environment variable in your shell RC before sourcing perlbrew's RC. In some cases, say, your home directory is on NFS and shared across multiple machines, you may wish to have several different perlbrew setting per-machine. To do so, you can use the "PERLBREW_HOME" environment variable to tell perlbrew where to look for the initialization file. Here's a brief bash snippet for the given senario. if [ "$(hostname)" == "machine-a" ]; then export PERLBREW_HOME=~/.perlbrew-a elif [ "$(hostname)" == "machine-b" ]; then export PERLBREW_HOME=~/.perlbrew-b fi source ~/perl5/perlbrew/etc/bashrc COMMAND
: INIT The "init" command should be manually invoked whenever you (the perlbrew user) upgrade perlbrew. However, if the upgrade is done with "self-upgrade" command, or by running the one-line installer manually, this command is invoked automatically. COMMAND
: INSTALL install [ perl-<version> | <version> ] Build and install the given version of perl. Version numbers usually look like "5.x.xx", or "perl-5.xx.x-RCx" for release candidates. The specified perl is downloaded from the offical CPAN website or from the mirror site configured before. To configure mirror site, invoke `mirror` command. install [ perl-blead | blead ] A special way to install the blead version of perl, which is downloaded from this specific URL regardless of mirror settings: http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/snapshot/blead.tar.gz install /path/to/perl/git/checkout/dir Build and install from the given git checkout dir. install /path/to/perl-5.14.0.tar.gz Build and install from the given archive file. install http://example.com/mirror/perl-5.12.3.tar.gz Build and install from the given URL. Supported URL schemes are "http://", "https://", "ftp://" and "file://". COMMAND
: UNINSTALL Usage: perlbrew uninstall <name> Uninstalls the given perl installation. COMMAND
: USE Usage: perlbrew use [perl-<version> | <version> | <name>] Use the given version perl in current shell. This will not effect newly opened shells. Without a parameter, shows the version of perl currently in use. COMMAND
: SWITCH Usage: perlbrew switch [ <name> ] Switch to the given version, and makes it the default for this and all future terminal sessions. Without a parameter, shows the version of perl currently selected. COMMAND
: LIST Usage: perlbrew list List the installed versions of perl. COMMAND
: AVAILABLE Usage: perlbrew available List the recently available versions of perl on CPAN. The list is retrieved from the web page <http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html>, and is not the list of *all* perl versions ever releasesed in the past. NOTICE: This command might be gone in the future and becomes an option of 'list' command. COMMAND
: OFF Usage: perlbrew off Temporarily disable perlbrew in the current shell. Effectively re-enables the default system Perl, whatever that is. This command works only if you add the statement of `source $PERLBREW_ROOT/etc/bashrc` in your shell initialization (bashrc / zshrc). COMMAND
: SWITCH-OFF Usage: perlbrew switch-off Permananently disable perlbrew. Use "switch" command to re-enable it. Invoke "use" command to enable it only in the current shell. Re-enables the default system Perl, whatever that is. COMMAND
: ALIAS Usage: perlbrew alias [-f] create <name> <alias> Create an alias for the installation named <name>. Usage: perlbrew alias [-f] rename <old_alias> <new_alias> Rename the alias to a new name. Usage: perlbrew alias delete <alias> Delete the given alias. COMMAND
: MIRROR Usage: perlbrew mirror Run this if you want to choose a specific CPAN mirror to install the perls from. It will display a list of mirrors for you to pick from. Hit 'q' to cancel the selection. COMMAND
: EXEC Usage: perlbrew exec <command> <args...> Execute command for all perls, one by one. For example, run a Hello program: perlbrew exec perl -e 'print "Hello from $] "' The output depends on your perl installations, and looks like this: perl-5.12.2 ========== Hello word from perl-5.012002 perl-5.12.3 ========== Hello word from perl-5.012003 perl-5.13.10 ========== Hello word from perl-5.013010 perl-5.14.0 ========== Hello word from perl-5.014000 Notice that the command is not executed in parallel. COMMAND
: ENV Usage: perlbrew env <name> Low-level command. Invoke this command to see the list of environment variables that are set by "perlbrew" itself for shell integration. The output is something similar to this (if your shell is bash/zsh): export PERLBREW_ROOT=/Users/gugod/perl5/perlbrew export PERLBREW_VERSION=0.31 export PERLBREW_PATH=/Users/gugod/perl5/perlbrew/bin:/Users/gugod/perl5/perlbrew/perls/current/bin export PERLBREW_PERL=perl-5.14.1 tcsh / csh users shall seens lines of 'setenv' statements instead of `export`. COMMAND
: SYMLINK-EXECUTABLES Usage: perlbrew symlink-executables <name> Low-level command. This command is used to create the "perl" executable symbolic link to, say, "perl5.13.6". This is only required for development version of perls. You don't need to do this unless you have been using old perlbrew to install perls, and you find youself confused because the perl that you just installed appears to be missing after invoking `use` or `switch`. perbrew changes its installation layout since version 0.11, which generades symlinks to executables in a better way. If you just upgraded perlbrew (from 0.11 or earlier versions) and "perlbrew switch" failed to work after you switch to a development release of perl, say, perl-5.13.6, run this command: perlbrew symlink-executables perl-5.13.6 This essentially creates this symlink: ${PERLBREW_ROOT}/perls/perl-5.13.6/bin/perl -> ${PERLBREW_ROOT}/perls/perl-5.13.6/bin/perl5.13.6 Newly installed perls, whether they are development versions or not, does not need manually treatment with this command. COMMAND
: INSTALL-CPANM Usage: perlbrew install-cpanm Install the "cpanm" standalone executable in "$PERLBREW_ROOT/bin". For more rationale about the existence of this command, read <http://www.perlbrew.pl/Perlbrew-and-Friends.html> COMMAND
: INSTALL-PATCHPERL Usage: perlbrew install-patchperl Install the "patchperl" standalone executable in "$PERLBREW_ROOT/bin". This is automaticall invoked if your perlbrew installation is done with the installer, but not with cpan. For more rationale about the existence of this command, read <http://www.perlbrew.pl/Perlbrew-and-Friends.html> COMMAND
: SELF-UPGRADE Usage: perlbrew self-upgrade This command upgrades Perlbrew to its latest version. COMMAND
: SELF-INSTALL Usage: perlbrew self-install NOTICE: You should not need to run this command in your daily routine. This command install perlbrew itself to "$PERLBREW_ROOT/bin". It is intended used by the perlbrew installer. However, you may manually do the following to re-install only the "perlbrew" executable: curl -kL http://get.perlbrew.pl -o perlbrew perl ./perlbrew install It is slightly different from running the perlbrew installer because "patchperl" is not installed in this case. COMMAND
: VERSION Usage: perlbrew version Show the version of perlbrew. COMMAND
: LIB Usage: perlbrew lib create <lib-name> perlbrew lib delete <lib-name> The `lib` command is used to manipulate local::lib roots inside perl installations. Effectively it is similar to `perl -Mlocal::lib=/path/to/lib-name`, but a little bit more than just that. A lib name can be a short name, containing alphanumeric, like 'awesome', or a full name, prefixed by a perl installation name and a '@' sign, for example, 'perl-5.14.2@awesome'. Here are some a brief examples to invoke the `lib` command: # Create libs by name perlbrew lib create nobita perlbrew lib create perl-5.12.3@shizuka perlbrew list # See the list of use/switch targets. # Activate a lib in current shell. perlbrew use perl-5.12.3@nobita perlbrew use perl-5.14.2@nobita # Activate a lib as default. perlbrew switch perl-5.14.2@nobita # Delete the lib perlbrew lib delete nobita perlbrew lib delete perl-5.12.3@shizuka Short lib names are local to current perl. A lib name 'nobita' can refer to 'perl-5.12.3@nobita' or 'perl-5.14.2@nobita', depending on your current perl. When "use"ing or "switch"ing to a lib, always provide the long name. A simple rule: the argument to "use" or "siwtch" command should appear in the output of "perlbrew list". UPGRADE NOTES
If you plan to upgrade "perlbrew" from version 0.16 or order to a recent version, you should do these steps to adjust your perl installations: 1. remove $PERLBREW_ROOT/perls/current if it exists 2. remove symlinks under $PERLBREW_ROOT/perls/bin 3. run C<perlbrew symlink-executables> 4. run C<perlbrew init> 5. run C<perlbrew switch $something> to set your default perl. Or simply run these statements to do so (you might need to change the value of PERLBREW_ROOT): export PERLBREW_ROOT=${HOME}/perl5/perlbrew rm -f $PERLBREW_ROOT/perls/current rm -f `find $PERLBREW_ROOT/perls/bin -type l` perlbrew symlink-executables perlbrew init perlbrew switch perl-5.14.2 # or other ones. Finally, you should add this line to the end of your "~/.bash_profile" or "~/.zshenv" file: source "$HOME/perl5/perlbrew/etc/bashrc" Or if you have differnt PERLBREW_ROOT at, say, "/opt/perl5", add: export PERLBREW_ROOT=/opt/perl5 source "$PERLBREW_ROOT/etc/bashrc" After doing that, you will be good to go. SEE ALSO
App::perlbrew, App::cpanminus, Devel::PatchPerl perl v5.14.2 2012-05-27 PERLBREW(1p)