Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How 2 run same command across all open terminals Post 302520950 by pflynn on Monday 9th of May 2011 08:47:37 PM
Old 05-09-2011
It seems that every shell you run is a login shell. Bash reads and executes the ~/.bashrc file only if it is started as an interactive, but not login shell. When Bash starts as an interactive login shell, it reads and executes the ~/.bash_profile file. What you could do is to source the ~/.bashrc file from the ~/.bash_profile file. Something like this:

# .bash_profile
# sourcing .bashrc:

. ~/.bashrc

this way every interactive shell you start will read and execute the ~/.bashrc file, be it a loging shell or not.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the command to connect to remote terminals

what is the command to connect to remote terminals? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sendtorohitgupt
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

one command for all unix terminals

Hi, I am working in huge environment, I do type commands from my terminal window repeadly in all same setup unix environments. I am looking some kind of a terminal emulator or some simple program that will help me? basically if type command like 'ls' in one unix terminal window it should echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgmekala
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

open terminal to run cmd using shell script

i want the shell script to open the terminal and in that terminal i want to run a command specified in the script... how can it be done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrabhushan
2 Replies

4. AIX

How to open multiple virtual terminals to a single LPAR

I just wondering if there are ways to open multiple virtual terminal to a single LPAR. After I have use putty to login to the VIOS. I will use mkvt -id <LPAR id> to open console but if my friend want to open 2 second one, it will say, VT already connected. IS there a way to work this around ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingcross
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How run simple command in xterm, and leave open?

I have written a simple script to show battery life remaining. I would like to be able to quickly view it with a predefined keybinding or launcher. xterm -e scriptname should do the trick but the xterm closes when the script finishes, not giving me chance to read the output. How can I keep... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spoovy
3 Replies

6. Linux

How to open a gnome-terminal in specific workspace and run script within it automatically upon login

OK this is a bit messy. I run Fedora with gnome on a compiz desktop, I have a script (userstart) that opens my 'standard' environment for all my machines when I login. userstart flips to a specific workspace and then opens the required applications in that workspace then flips to the next... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to run commands in different terminals

hi, how to write shell script that runs different commands(like:ls,ps,ls-l) in differnt terminals(each command should run in different terminal). my main motive is to run different 'c' program exe's available in different locations in different terminals. thanks sai (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saidopdf
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open gnome-terminal with multi tabs and automatically run a script in each tab

Hi All , i am trying to create an alias to open a new gnome-terminal and run some commands in each tab & to have a specific name for each tab i am using csh , tried this command gnome-terminal --tab -t "s1" --tab -t "s2" --tab -t "s3" --tab -t "s4" it opened 4 tabs but the title didn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Assem
0 Replies
fish(1)                                                                fish                                                                fish(1)

NAME
fish - fish - the friendly interactive shell fish - the friendly interactive shell Synopsis fish [-h] [-v] [-c command] [FILE [ARGUMENTS...]] Description A commandline shell written mainly with interactive use in mind. The full manual is available in html by using the help command from inside fish. o -c or --command=COMMANDS evaluate the specified commands instead of reading from the commandline o -d or --debug-level=DEBUG_LEVEL specify the verbosity level of fish. A higher number means higher verbosity. The default level is 1. o -h or --help display help and exit o -i or --interactive specify that fish is to run in interactive mode o -l or --login specify that fish is to run as a login shell o -n or --no-execute do not execute any commands, only perform syntax checking o -p or --profile=PROFILE_FILE when fish exits, output timing information on all executed commands to the specified file o -v or --version display version and exit The fish exit status is generally the exit status of the last foreground command. If fish is exiting because of a parse error, the exit status is 127. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 fish(1)