Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Vi editor issue
Operating Systems HP-UX Vi editor issue Post 302519373 by Perderabo on Tuesday 3rd of May 2011 08:35:23 PM
Old 05-03-2011
Just type "clear" to clear the screen. You may be using an HP terminal that doesn't behave anything close to an ansi/vt100 terminal.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vi Editor

I'm doing a teaching ass't for a basic unix course for a local college and we have given the new students an assignment where they have to code 10 pages of html by hand using the Vi Editor (i know it's cruel) The purpose of this exersize is to get them used to unix and vi commands and how the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: juxtaman
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

best editor

We work on AIX 5L We use vi as text editor (only scripts to create and modifiy). What do you think of emacs ? Where can I find it ? Do you know better text editor for scripts ? Thank you for all answers. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annemar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Arithmatic operation issue , datatype issue

Hi, I have a shell scripting. This will take 7 digit number in each line and add 7 digit number with next subsequent lines ( normal addition ). Eg: 0000001 0000220 0001235 0000022 0000023 ........... ......... ........ Like this i am having around 1500000 records. After adding... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
23 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

7. Solaris

VI Editor issue "E558: Terminal entry not found in terminfo"

When trying to open a document with VI editor, getting the following error.. E558: Terminal entry not found in terminfo 'vt100' not known. Available builtin terminals are: builtin_gui builtin_riscos builtin_amiga builtin_beos-ansi builtin_ansi builtin_pcansi ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
8 Replies

8. Linux

Space bar issue in Vi editor on Linux - Solaris

Hi I have a process generating a file in Solaris. Now we have migrated the process to Linux. When we open the file in vi on solaris and hit space bar, it stops after reaching the end of line. But in linux it continues to go on the next line. So I want to know whether the difference is between the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ED editor

Hi folks I wanted help with writing a ED editor script that automatically runs files i saved in my directory /home/MyFiles/firstBorn. Any helping ideas... ? thanx Lakerfan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakerfan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value substitution issue with awk command issue

Hi All, I am using the below script which has awk command, but it is not returing the expected result. can some pls help me to correct the command. The below script sample.ksh should give the result if the value of last 4 digits in the variable NM matches with the variable value DAT. The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
7 Replies
clear(1)						      General Commands Manual							  clear(1)

NAME
clear - clear the terminal screen SYNOPSIS
clear [-Ttype] [-V] [-x] DESCRIPTION
clear clears your screen if this is possible, including its scrollback buffer (if the extended "E3" capability is defined). clear looks in the environment for the terminal type given by the environment variable TERM, and then in the terminfo database to determine how to clear the screen. clear writes to the standard output. You can redirect the standard output to a file (which prevents clear from actually clearing the screen), and later cat the file to the screen, clearing it at that point. OPTIONS
-T type indicates the type of terminal. Normally this option is unnecessary, because the default is taken from the environment variable TERM. If -T is specified, then the shell variables LINES and COLUMNS will also be ignored. -V reports the version of ncurses which was used in this program, and exits. The options are as follows: -x do not attempt to clear the terminal's scrollback buffer using the extended "E3" capability. HISTORY
A clear command appeared in 2.79BSD dated February 24, 1979. Later that was provided in Unix 8th edition (1985). AT&T adapted a different BSD program (tset) to make a new command (tput), and used this to replace the clear command with a shell script which calls tput clear, e.g., /usr/bin/tput ${1:+-T$1} clear 2> /dev/null exit In 1989, when Keith Bostic revised the BSD tput command to make it similar to the AT&T tput, he added a shell script for the clear command: exec tput clear The remainder of the script in each case is a copyright notice. The ncurses clear command began in 1995 by adapting the original BSD clear command (with terminfo, of course). The E3 extension came later: o In June 1999, xterm provided an extension to the standard control sequence for clearing the screen. Rather than clearing just the vis- ible part of the screen using printf '33[2J' one could clear the scrollback using printf '33[3J' This is documented in XTerm Control Sequences as a feature originating with xterm. o A few other terminal developers adopted the feature, e.g., PuTTY in 2006. o In April 2011, a Red Hat developer submitted a patch to the Linux kernel, modifying its console driver to do the same thing. The Linux change, part of the 3.0 release, did not mention xterm, although it was cited in the Red Hat bug report (#683733) which led to the change. o Again, a few other terminal developers adopted the feature. But the next relevant step was a change to the clear program in 2013 to incorporate this extension. o In 2013, the E3 extension was overlooked in tput with the "clear" parameter. That was addressed in 2016 by reorganizing tput to share its logic with clear and tset. PORTABILITY
Neither IEEE Std 1003.1/The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7 (POSIX.1-2008) nor X/Open Curses Issue 7 documents tset or reset. The latter documents tput, which could be used to replace this utility either via a shell script or by an alias (such as a symbolic link) to run tput as clear. SEE ALSO
tput(1), terminfo(5) This describes ncurses version 6.1 (patch 20180127). clear(1)