Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Help Setting up Linux Raid Server Post 302518456 by DGPickett on Friday 29th of April 2011 04:54:35 PM
Old 04-29-2011
Often, the bootstrap is on a simple disk, and the RAID is dedicated to the application. For software RAID, I wonder if that is a requirement, since you need to boot the software to get it together. Remember that raid5 is not churn-friendly or small-block-random efficient, so many shops put high-churn and small block-random data on mirrors, sometimes striped for more bandwidth. Also, the controller(s) can be a bottleneck. Even with lots of RAM, random operations on large data sets will fill RAM uselessly, and fsync() of RDBMS Commit and other critical files (postfix email) waits for magnetic completion. A shot of SSD might be a great complement. Sometimes, you can shadow the SSD with RAID5 hierarchically, so only the most accessed bits move to SSD. Too much modified data in RAM in a liability!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with setting up linux server

Hello, I recently got my first "real" job, i come from a *microsoft* world, I'm being asked to setup from scratch a database and a webserver that allows users to view/add/edit data (intranet). I installed Ubuntu Server 7.10 which comes with LAMP (apache 2.*, mysql5.* and php 5.*) The only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Adding RAID to server

Hi, I have a server that I am adding a RAID that we purchased to. The server works fine. It is running Fedora 7 and is a Dell Precision 690. When the RAID is attached, it boots up and says the following: Controller Bus #00, Device#1F, Function#02: 00 Ports No device found AHCI BIOS not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

linux server with raid controller card

I am planning on building a fedora box with raid controller (database server). Is anybody done that ? also what kind of software do you need to backup and recover data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir07
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

efficient raid file server

I need to put together a RAID1 file server for use by Windoze systems. I've built zillions of windows systems from components. I was a HPUX SE for a long time at HP, but have been out of the game for years. I've got an old workhorse mobo FIC PA-2013 with a 450 MHz K6 III+ I could use, but I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcmacd
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Setting up bootblock on RAID 0 SVM

Hi All! I'm running Solaris 10 and SPARC and using Let me give a bit of background before asking my question: I have created a RAID 0 (stripe) on 2 disks, I have the OS running on a third disk and I have now performed a ufsdump / ufsrestore from my third disk to the RAID 0 disks... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
7 Replies

6. Hardware

Raid 0 on database server

Hi guys. if we want to use SSD drives on a database server, can we use RAID 0 configuration because of their reliability? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

7. Hardware

3ware RAID server

We have a 3ware RAID server at work, and as the appointed systems administrator (by virtue of being the one with the most knowledge) I've taken on the job of maintaining it. I've installed smartmontools on it to keep an eye on the drives and run scans every day, and looking at the data from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krendoshazin
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Setting Up live FTP Server with Static IP in Red-Hat Linux 6

Hi Guys, I want to some guidance from you in setting up the Live FTP server in Redhat Linux 6 with Static IP 120.50.150.50. Now should I set my Static Public IP directly to my Linux machine? If so what whould be my sunbet mask? Is any type of natting required here? if so where would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

9. SCO

Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server

I need to be able to make a backup image of an OLD UNIX server HD where I can restore the complete HD from scratch if (when) the HD fails. This server runs the accounting system for a company. I can and have backed the data up via local FTP, but O/S and Apps are so old that I am not sure I could... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrishouse
21 Replies
ATARAID(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						ATARAID(4)

NAME
ataraid -- ATA software RAID support SYNOPSIS
device ata device ataraid DESCRIPTION
The ataraid driver provides support for so-called software RAID (sometimes referred to as fake RAID or pseudo RAID). When a controller that supports software RAID is instructed to create a RAID array, its BIOS writes data structures in a specific metadata format to the disks. These data structures are picked up by the ataraid driver, so that FreeBSD can work with the array. The ataraid driver has to understand the specific metadata format of a controller BIOS in order to support its RAID capabilities. Read-only support for a metadata format means that FreeBSD can use the given RAID array for normal read/write operations. Creation and rebuild of such arrays has to be done from the controller BIOS. Read and write support for a metadata format means that FreeBSD can use the given RAID array for normal read/write operations. Additionally, the atacontrol(8) utility can be used to create, rebuild, update and fail such RAID arrays. The ataraid driver can read the following metadata formats: o Adaptec HostRAID o Highpoint V2 RocketRAID o Highpoint V3 RocketRAID o Intel MatrixRAID o Integrated Technology Express (ITE) o JMicron o LSI Logic V2 MegaRAID o LSI Logic V3 MegaRAID o NVIDIA MediaShield o Promise FastTrak o Silicon Image Medley o Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) o VIA Tech V-RAID o FreeBSD PseudoRAID The ataraid driver can write the following metadata formats: o Highpoint V2 RocketRAID o Intel MatrixRAID o JMicron o Promise FastTrak o Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS) o VIA Tech V-RAID o FreeBSD PseudoRAID It is also possible to use software RAID on controllers that do not have special software RAID capabilities. See atacontrol(8) for details. FILES
/dev/ar* ATA RAID device nodes SEE ALSO
ata(4), atacontrol(8) CAVEATS
RAID5 is not supported at this time. Code exists, but it neither uses nor maintains parity information. AUTHORS
The ataraid driver was written by Soren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Christian Brueffer <brueffer@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
February 17, 2006 BSD