Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Help Setting up Linux Raid Server Post 302518422 by lorewap3 on Friday 29th of April 2011 02:55:25 PM
Old 04-29-2011
Question Help Setting up Linux Raid Server

I just built a home computer with 3TB hard drives I wanted to set up in a RAID 5 and load Ubuntu server onto it.

The first thing I did was set up the drives in a RAID 5 using just the motherboard chipset software to do it, so a 'hardware' RAID basically.

I installed Windows first to see if all the hardware works ok (that seemed the easiest way to verify it) and with the exception of the ethernet card (which needed a driver disk to work) everything was plug n' play and worked wonderfully. After that I booted the Windows install disk again to delete the partitions, hoping Ubuntu 10.10 server would create its own.

The problem I'm having is no matter what I've tried (deleting and recreating the RAID 5 setup, departitioning the drives), whenever I try to install Ubuntu it won't recognize the RAID as a valid disk. Ironically, it did at first, because I installed windows to verify the hardware. The ethernet card wasn't working automatically in the Ubuntu setup, (although it found the unformatted RAID drive), so I installed windows and figured out it was just the drivers that needed to be installed.

So now when I try to install Ubuntu, it finds the ethernet card perfectly and connects to the internet during the installation...but that actually stinks because it's telling me it's still accessing the drivers from the drives that I thought I formatted. Once it gets to the storage part of the installation afterwards, it can't find the RAID drive anymore. I tells me to choose a disk from the list, but the list is blank. So I can't install on it.

If I remove the RAID entirely and just keep the drives as 3 separate IDE drives, it finds every drive perfectly and can install to either one I choose. But I don't want this, I definitely need them RAIDed.

I would appreciate any advice at all on this, or even suggestions on another way of doing it. I've heard many people claim to dislike hardware RAIDs for linux servers and recommend using a software RAID instead. I am new to either, so I'd be happy to consider a software RAID if I knew it would be better/easier.

Any suggestion on a distrobution would be nice, too. I think I like the KDE interface, making me consider Kubuntu, but primarily I just want a server with the trimmings to access it from afar...LAMP,Email,SSH, and Remote Desktop.

Thanks for any advice!

Will P.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with setting up linux server

Hello, I recently got my first "real" job, i come from a *microsoft* world, I'm being asked to setup from scratch a database and a webserver that allows users to view/add/edit data (intranet). I installed Ubuntu Server 7.10 which comes with LAMP (apache 2.*, mysql5.* and php 5.*) The only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Adding RAID to server

Hi, I have a server that I am adding a RAID that we purchased to. The server works fine. It is running Fedora 7 and is a Dell Precision 690. When the RAID is attached, it boots up and says the following: Controller Bus #00, Device#1F, Function#02: 00 Ports No device found AHCI BIOS not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: user23
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

linux server with raid controller card

I am planning on building a fedora box with raid controller (database server). Is anybody done that ? also what kind of software do you need to backup and recover data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amir07
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

efficient raid file server

I need to put together a RAID1 file server for use by Windoze systems. I've built zillions of windows systems from components. I was a HPUX SE for a long time at HP, but have been out of the game for years. I've got an old workhorse mobo FIC PA-2013 with a 450 MHz K6 III+ I could use, but I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcmacd
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Setting up bootblock on RAID 0 SVM

Hi All! I'm running Solaris 10 and SPARC and using Let me give a bit of background before asking my question: I have created a RAID 0 (stripe) on 2 disks, I have the OS running on a third disk and I have now performed a ufsdump / ufsrestore from my third disk to the RAID 0 disks... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
7 Replies

6. Hardware

Raid 0 on database server

Hi guys. if we want to use SSD drives on a database server, can we use RAID 0 configuration because of their reliability? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
3 Replies

7. Hardware

3ware RAID server

We have a 3ware RAID server at work, and as the appointed systems administrator (by virtue of being the one with the most knowledge) I've taken on the job of maintaining it. I've installed smartmontools on it to keep an eye on the drives and run scans every day, and looking at the data from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krendoshazin
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Setting Up live FTP Server with Static IP in Red-Hat Linux 6

Hi Guys, I want to some guidance from you in setting up the Live FTP server in Redhat Linux 6 with Static IP 120.50.150.50. Now should I set my Static Public IP directly to my Linux machine? If so what whould be my sunbet mask? Is any type of natting required here? if so where would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

9. SCO

Backup/RAID of HD on Old UNIX Server

I need to be able to make a backup image of an OLD UNIX server HD where I can restore the complete HD from scratch if (when) the HD fails. This server runs the accounting system for a company. I can and have backed the data up via local FTP, but O/S and Apps are so old that I am not sure I could... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrishouse
21 Replies
AAC(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    AAC(4)

NAME
aac -- Adaptec AdvancedRAID Controller driver SYNOPSIS
aac* at pci? dev ? function ? ld* at aac? unit ? DESCRIPTION
The aac driver provides support for the Adaptec AAC family of SCSI and SATA RAID controllers. These controllers support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, and volume sets. They have four channels in the add-in version or 1-2 channels in the motherboard integrated version, and are most often found rebadged by Dell, Hewlett-Packard or IBM. Supported controllers include: o Adaptec AAC-364 o Adaptec SCSI RAID 2120S o Adaptec SCSI RAID 2200S o Adaptec SATA RAID 2410SA o Adaptec SATA RAID 3405 o Adaptec SCSI RAID 5400S o Dell PERC 2/Si o Dell PERC 2/QC o Dell PERC 3/Di o Dell PERC 3/Si o Dell PERC 320/DC o Dell CERC SATA RAID 1.5/6ch o HP NetRAID 4M o HP ML110 G2 (Adaptec SATA RAID 2610SA) o IBM ServeRAID 8k Access to RAID containers is available via the ld device driver. Individual drives cannot be accessed unless they are part of a container or volume set, and non-fixed disks cannot be accessed. Containers can be configured by using the on-board BIOS utility of the card. DIAGNOSTICS
The adapter can send status and alert messages asynchronously to the driver. These messages are printed on the system console. SEE ALSO
intro(4), ld(4) HISTORY
The aac driver first appeared in NetBSD 1.6, and was based on the FreeBSD driver of the same name. BUGS
This driver is not compatible with controllers that have version 1.x firmware. The firmware version is the same as the kernel version printed in the BIOS POST and driver attach messages. BSD
February 19, 2011 BSD