Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) error in locking .Xauthority file Post 302518082 by mhatrey on Thursday 28th of April 2011 02:21:27 PM
Old 04-28-2011
error in locking .Xauthority file

Here is my scenario

The applications that I want to run are on Linux Server [NFS] and the client machines [CIFS] that are having problem in locking the .Xauthority files are Macs which share the same domain as that of client solaris machine. i.e. The home directory of particular user on Solaris & the home directory of that user on Mac have same contents.

When I ssh -X from Solaris to the server, everything works fine, no error messages.
When I ssh -X from MACs to the server, I get the following warning messages.

Code:
/usr/X/bin/xauth: error in locking authority file /home/user/.Xauthority

/usr/X/bin/xauth is the path on the server. If I try to break the lock by sudo /usr/X/bin/xauth -b quit, I get the following error
Code:
xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/user/.Xauthority

When I ssh -X from any my MacBookPro to the server,

Code:
Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

I have checked sshd_config on both the server and the Mac clients, there is nothing that seems wrong, but if you guys have insights then please share.

---

Deleting .Xauthority files work, but thats not a good solution. I mean, everytime I have to run any X forwarding application I have to delete the .Xauthority file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp file locking

I have a set of scripts to do software releases to remote machines which uses ftp. I'm having a problem getting 'lost connection' messages. What I wanted to ask is, does ftp employ some sort of file locking if two ftp processes are trying to copy the same file at the same time? & if so could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file locking question

Hi, Simple question but I just need to confirm the answer: If two or more processes attempt to move the same file at exactly the same time, will unix internal file locking allow only one of the processes to access the file? Many thanks Helen :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Locking in Unix

Hi I would like to lock a file using korn Shell Script before coping the contents of the file. Do let me know Thanks in Advance. Senone (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senone
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Locking

Hi, Does anyone know what happens when two processes are simultaneously trying to write to a single file in UNIX (AIX)? Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penfold
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locking a file in ksh

We want to lock a file, during a program(pgm1) execution(until the execution of the program is completed), so that other program(pgm2) can't read/edit that file, until execution of earlier program(pgm1) is completed. How can this be achieved thru shell scripting... we tried chmod +l option, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thanuman
1 Replies

6. AIX

Logins hang updating .Xauthority file

Folks, I am having a minor problem on a new AIX install. I have AIX installed in and LPAR on a p550 and everything works fine with the exception of users who log in with ssh. It seems that when a user has X11 forwarding enabled in their ssh client and they connect to the server, logins hang.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crothecker
3 Replies

7. UNIX Benchmarks

ocs_vtsup: error locking odm database

Someone know something about this error ? We have 5.2 and HACMP Cluster. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hjara
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file locking

how do i implement file locking in unix? example if i want to update a file, i would like to use file locking. how do i implement it? i am using shell script thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yang
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to do file locking?

how to ensure all files are being locked while updateing some files? example when i want to update the password and shadow file in unix. how do i implement file locking?? please advice thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yang
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File locking

i am working on a device runnin on linux....i have configured the samba server in the device such that my windows PC can access a shared folder in the device. Also in the device i am runnin some programs which access the files in this shared folder. What i want to know is whether there is any way i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhinx
1 Replies
lockd(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 lockd(1M)

NAME
lockd - network lock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nfs/lockd [-g graceperiod] [-l listen_min_backlog] [-t timeout] [nthreads] DESCRIPTION
The lockd utility is part of the NFS lock manager, which supports record locking operations on NFS files. See fcntl(2) and lockf(3C). The lock manager provides the following two functions: o It forwards fcntl(2) locking requests for NFS mounted file systems to the lock manager on the NFS server. o It generates local file locking operations in response to requests forwarded from lock managers running on NFS client machines. State information kept by the lock manager about these locking requests can be lost if the lockd is killed or the operating system is rebooted. Some of this information can be recovered as follows. When the server lock manager restarts, it waits for a grace period for all client-site lock managers to submit reclaim requests. Client-site lock managers, on the other hand, are notified by the status monitor dae- mon, statd(1M), of the restart and promptly resubmit previously granted lock requests. If the lock daemon fails to secure a previously granted lock at the server site, then it sends SIGLOST to a process. Administrators can make changes to the startup parameters for lockd by logging in as root and editing the /etc/default/nfs file (See nfs(4)). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -g graceperiod Deprecated in favor of GRACE_PERIOD. Specify the number of seconds that all clients (both NLM and NFSv4) have to reclaim locks after the server reboots. It also controls the NFSv4 lease interval. This option is equivalent to the LOCKD_GRACE_PERIOD parameter. -l listen_min_backlog Specify the listener backlog (listen_min_backlog). listen_min_backlog is the number connect requests that are queued and waiting to be processed before new connect requests start to get dropped. -t timeout Specify the number of seconds to wait before retransmitting a lock request to the remote server. The default value is 15 seconds. Equivalent of the LOCKD_RETRANSMIT_TIMEOUT parameter in the nfs file. OPERANDS
nthreads Specify the maximum number of concurrent threads that the server can handle. This concurrency is achieved by up to nthreads threads created as needed in the kernel. nthreads should be based on the load expected on this server. If nthreads is not specified, the maximum number of concurrent threads will default to 20. Equivalent of the LOCKD_SERVERS parameter in the nfs file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), automountd(1M), clear_locks(1M), mount_nfs(1M), share(1M), share_nfs(1M), statd(1M), svcadm(1M), fcntl(2), lockf(3C), nfs(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The lockd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/nfs/nlockmgr Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. If it is disabled, it will be enabled by mount_nfs(1M), share_nfs(1M), and automountd(1M) unless its application/auto_enable prop- erty is set to false. This daemon might not exist in a future release of Solaris. SunOS 5.10 17 Nov 2004 lockd(1M)