Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run a script when a file is modified/time stamp changed Post 302516424 by aemunathan on Saturday 23rd of April 2011 03:31:32 AM
Old 04-23-2011
Hi,

In a hurry i posted that requirement and searched immediately and got some clue...but i tried the following way i could not succeed.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
time=$(ls -l /home/dg/sm.ini | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F" "  '{ print $8 }')
timehr=$(echo $time | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F: '{print $1}')
timemin=$(echo $time | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F: '{print $2}')
while :
do
   chk_time=$(ls -l /home/dg/sm.ini | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F" "  '{ print $8 }')
   chk_timehr=$(echo $chk_time | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F: '{print $1}')
   chk_timemin=$(echo $chk_time | /usr/xpg4/bin/awk -F: '{print $2}')
if [ "$chk_timehr" != "$timehr" ] && [ "$chk_timemin" != "$timemin" ]
   then
     echo "/home/dg/SM/SMfile"
      sleep 5
      echo "/home/dg/SM/SMomAlarm"
   fi
   sleep 5  # 5sec wait time
done

pls help me

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File date and time stamp

I have to capture the creation date and time stamp for a file. The ls command doesn't list all the required information. I need year, month, day, hour, minute and second. Any ideas... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xenon
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run a script if file modified in last 10 min

Hi, I want to check if a file is modified or not in the last 10 mins and run a script if so. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: krabu
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing File Time Stamp (Bash Script)

I need some help recovering from a "slight" screwup. We just moved 3 TB of data from one RAID Array to another. Low lever archive files. This was done with a regular cp (for some reason) and now we have lost all the timestamps on the files, and we urgently need to get the timestamps back on these... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chj
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change time stamp of a file

Hi, As i know , we can change the time stamp of a file by touch command, i did change in a file and it is looking as given # ls -l abcd -rw-r--r-- 1 batsoqa sicusers 0 Feb 17 2010 abcd actually i want to see the output like this -rw-r--r-- 1 batsoqa sicusers ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apskaushik
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a file with time stamp

Hi guys, Here my scenario is to find the files of previous days if the previous day load had not done. for that i created a file with time stamp and this file is created after the load completes. so every dau i search for the this file with previous days time stamp. i want to create a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apple2685
1 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Is there any way to set the files modified date and stamp to last modifies time?

Actually i did modification in a file on server by mistake, now its showing current time stamp, is there any way to set the files modified date and stamp to last modifies time. Please advice here.Thanks in advance.:b: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saluja.deepak
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file time stamp

Hi All, I am facing small problem. i want to print file time stamp on which date file has placed in the server. i have given some code but its not giving the year. any help appreciated. regards rajesh. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_pola
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run a cronjob only when a file is modified?

Hello, I am new to cron. I have a cronjob that updates a dataset in a 3rd party application. The contents of this dataset come from a text file, which is updated irregularly. Currently my cronjob runs once every week, to update this dataset (irrespective of whether the file was updated or not).... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file time stamp

Hi, I need help to read file in a directory on basis of time stamp. e.g. If file access in last 2 minutes it should not be copy to remote directory. Below is my script. #!/bin/ksh DATE=`date +"%Y-%m-%d_%H%M"` SEPARATER=" " exec < out_interfaces.cfg while read source_path... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: qamar.alam
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script | Parse log file after a given date and time stamp

I am developing one script which will take log file name, output file name, date, hour and minute as an argument and based on these inputs, the script will scan and capture all the error(s) that have been triggered from a given time. Example: script should capture all the error after 13:50 on Jan... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROMA3
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-akq] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
January 22, 2004 BSD