Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to "tee" stderr
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to "tee" stderr Post 302515754 by stevensw on Wednesday 20th of April 2011 07:43:19 PM
Old 04-20-2011
How to "tee" stderr

In other words, print on both the screen and to a file (minus stdout)? Thanks again in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding custom mesg. when redirecting "exec 2>stderr.err" ?

Doubt regarding using "exec" command to redirect the STDERR to a file. e.g I did it this way. mystage.sh #!/bin/sh exec 2>stage.err .... .... cat stage.err mv: cannot move `/root/stage' to a subdirectory of itself, `/root/stage_old/stage' ls: *.zDB: No such file or... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snurani
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why stderr file descriptor redirection makes ksh's "select" construct hang.

I am trying to use one global declaration --> "exec 2>$ERR" to capture all stderr outputs that may occur anywhere in my script. Then close it at the end of the script using --> "exec 2<&-" I am using KSH on Solaris 8. KSH Version M-11/16/88i If I comment two "exec .." statements in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar "--totals" writes to stderr not stdout?

I want to use the "--totals" option in GNU tar for some reporting, however I have discovered that it writes the output to stderr not stdout and I would like to know why. This is running from BASH. mkdir /tmp/test touch /tmp/test/foo.file cd /tmp/ tar --totals -clpzf test.tar.gz test 2>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confused over results using "tee" in piped command

First post here, so hopefully all guidelines are followed, and thanks in advance for any replies. I'm working on a shell script(BASH) that processes a csv file and performs various tasks with the data. All is well, except I want to use 'tee' to send output from 'wc' to a file as well as pipe it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzmusic
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Screen output is blocked by "| tee" command

BACK STORY: I have a script build.py . (It's for creating the ISO file for a special edition of Swift Linux.) This build.py script executes the mintConstructor.py script that I use to modify the Regular Swift Linux ISO to get the special edition Swift Linux ISO. The lines of the script that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swiftlinux
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

C++ with Linux - writing a "tee"-like function

Greetings, everyone. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm running into a problem with my program concerning the actual output it does. When I open the file that gets the output, it contains a large number of hex(?) variables and not what the user wants. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: assignmentoper
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

The pipe not use "tee" to print on the screen for specific function

I have code fragment like { aa bb cc } > $LOG aa bb cc, all call function "ff", I want "ff" to print on the screen,but others do not print on the scree, is there a method? I can't use "tee", becasue tee I meet the write "error" ff() { echo "hello" } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Append content using "tee" command

Hi, How to append content into a file using tee command echo " file1 is archived"| tee -a archive.txt echo " file2 is archived"| tee -a archive.txt echo " file3 is archived"| tee -a archive.txt how to append content as new rows in the archive.txt Thanks, Srinadh. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinadhreddy27
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mindboggling difference between using "tee" and "/usr/bin/tee" in bash

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and I manually updated my coreutils so that "tee" is now on version 8.27 I was running a script using bash where there is some write to pipe error at some point causing the tee command to exit abruptly while the script continues to run. The newer version of tee seems to prevent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stompadon
2 Replies
tee(1)								   User Commands							    tee(1)

NAME
tee - replicate the standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tee /usr/bin/tee [-ai] [file]... ksh93 tee [-ail] [file]... DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/tee /usr/bin/tee copies standard input to standard output, making a copy in zero or more files. tee does not buffer its output. The options determine if the specified files are overwritten or appended to. ksh93 The tee built-in in ksh93 is associated with the /bin and /usr/bin paths. It is invoked when tee is executed without a pathname prefix and the pathname search finds a /bin/tee or /usr/bin/tee executable. tee copies standard input to standard output and to zero or more files. The options determine whether the specified files are overwritten or appended to. The tee utility does not buffer output. If a write to a file fails, tee continues to write to other files although it exits with a non-zero exit status. The number of file operands that can be specified is limited by the underlying operating system. OPTIONS
/usr/bin/tee The following options are supported by /usr/bin/tee: -a Appends the output to the files rather than overwriting them. -i Ignores interrupts. ksh93 The following options are supported by the tee built-in command in ksh93: -a Appends the output to the files rather than overwriting them. --append -i Ignores SIGINT signal. --ignore-interrupts -l Sets the standard output to be line buffered. --line-buffer OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an output file. Processing of at least 13 file operands are supported. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tee when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tee: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
/usr/bin/tee The following exit values are returned by /usr/bin/tee: 0 The standard input was successfully copied to all output files. >0 The number of files that could not be opened or whose status could not be obtained. ksh93 The following exit values are returned by tee in ksh93: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tee +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ ksh93 +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The ksh93 built-in binding to /bin and /usr/bin is Volatile. The built-in interfaces are Uncommitted. SEE ALSO
cat(1), ksh93(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 tee(1)