Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX TCP/UDP port range for default AIX NFS? Post 302512648 by bakunin on Monday 11th of April 2011 06:36:00 AM
Old 04-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by famasutika
Is there a way to fix the NFS server/client port range so that we could have NFS setup behind a firewall?

What are the best practice for NFS setup behind a firewall?
As i have said in the post i linked for you: there is probably no such way. The best practice is to use some other protocol/means for file sharing.

What is the point of using a firewall between two hosts when you share diskspace between them?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

TCP/UDP Ports

Just starting to work with unix, wondering if there is any good on-line documentation explaining TCP/UDP ports, how to use them, etc... Thanks.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eugene_mayo
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

TCP/UDP Ports

Just wondering if anyone knows of any good on-line documentation on TCP/UDP Ports. Basically i want to know how to check if they are in use, learn how to close them, etc... Thanks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eugene_mayo
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

3600 tcp/udp, trap-daemon, text relay-answer

3600 tcp/udp, trap-daemon, text relay-answer Does anyone know what this service is responsible for, or how significant it is? Thanks.....James (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cassj
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check the TCP/UDP port of a connection

Hi, Users are connecting thru a KCML Client to UNIX machine, and I want to know which TCP/UDP port that client uses? How can I check the port of a user logged in? Regards, Tayyab (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
2 Replies

5. AIX

TCP port 70000 on AIX 6.1? (Surely higher than allowed maximum?)

Looking at /etc/services on AIX 6.1, I noticed some bizarre port numbers which exceed the 16-bit maximum port number for TCP (i.e. they are higher than 65535.) sco_printer 70000/tcp sco_spooler # For System V print IPC sco_s5_port 70001/tcp lpNet_s5_port ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: garethr
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bind 9 forwarders: use UDP or TCP?

I use forwarders for a subzone, but TCP 53 is blocked, So does forwarders really need TCP? If forwaders use UDP, I can't get following scenario to work: main zone is master, but subzone is forwad. Is it possible? (On name sever itself, resolution of xx.stub.abc.com worked fine.) #sub zone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

UDP Port 161

hi guys My linux server have SNMP configure port by default is 161 (UDP) now my monitor team - who are using Nagios - say the server are not being monitor so check netstat -lnu and I see all is OK and snmp service is running fine what else should I check about this port 161? to see if it is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check UDP port example = 31011?

We have open port UDP port 31011, how to verify if port were working or traffic were receive. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtalan
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Tcp ip port open but no such process (merged: Release A Port)

i want to kill a tcp connection by killing its pid with netstat -an i got the tcp ip connection on port 5914 but when i type ps -a or ps-e there is not such process running on port 5914 is it possible that because i do not log on with proper user account i can not see that process running? (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinamadchian
30 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script, find the next closed (not in use) port from some port range.

hi, i would like to create a bash script that check which port in my Linux server are closed (not in use) from a specific range, port range (3000-3010). the print output need to be only 1 port, and it will be nice if the output will be saved as a variable or in same file. my code is: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yossi
2 Replies
rpc.nfsd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       rpc.nfsd(8)

NAME
rpc.nfsd - NFS server process SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd [options] nproc DESCRIPTION
The rpc.nfsd program implements the user level part of the NFS service. The main functionality is handled by the nfsd kernel module. The user space program merely specifies what sort of sockets the kernel service should listen on, what NFS versions it should support, and how many kernel threads it should use. The rpc.mountd server provides an ancillary service needed to satisfy mount requests by NFS clients. OPTIONS
-d or --debug enable logging of debugging messages -H or --host hostname specify a particular hostname (or address) that NFS requests will be accepted on. By default, rpc.nfsd will accept NFS requests on all known network addresses. Note that lockd (which performs file locking services for NFS) may still accept request on all known network addresses. This may change in future releases of the Linux Kernel. -p or --port port specify a diferent port to listen on for NFS requests. By default, rpc.nfsd will listen on port 2049. -N or --no-nfs-version vers This option can be used to request that rpc.nfsd does not offer certain versions of NFS. The current version of rpc.nfsd can support both NFS version 2,3 and the newer version 4. -s or --syslog By default, rpc.nfsd logs error messages (and debug messages, if enabled) to stderr. This option makes rpc.nfsd log these messages to syslog instead. Note that errors encountered during option processing will still be logged to stderr regardless of this option. -T or --no-tcp Disable rpc.nfsd from accepting TCP connections from clients. -U or --no-udp Disable rpc.nfsd from accepting UDP connections from clients. nproc specify the number of NFS server threads. By default, just one thread is started. However, for optimum performance several threads should be used. The actual figure depends on the number of and the work load created by the NFS clients, but a useful starting point is 8 threads. Effects of modifying that number can be checked using the nfsstat(8) program. Note that if the NFS server is already running, then the options for specifying host, port, and protocol will be ignored. The number of processes given will be the only option considered, and the number of active nfsd processes will be increased or decreased to match this number. In particular rpc.nfsd 0 will stop all threads and thus close any open connections. NOTES
If the program is built with TI-RPC support, it will enable any protocol and address family combinations that are marked visible in the netconfig database. SEE ALSO
rpc.mountd(8), exports(5), exportfs(8), rpc.rquotad(8), nfsstat(8), netconfig(5). AUTHOR
Olaf Kirch, Bill Hawes, H. J. Lu, G. Allan Morris III, and a host of others. 7 Aug 2006 rpc.nfsd(8)