Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between console and Terminal. Post 302508062 by LivinFree on Friday 25th of March 2011 02:40:26 PM
Old 03-25-2011
Your $DISPLAY variable is not getting set for some reason.
This User Gave Thanks to LivinFree For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console terminal

if I am on "host13" and I rlogin to "host14" using root, is there any way to open up a console window on "host14" so that it will appear for that particular user sitting there at the time (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AMisledDrummer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal vs console

What's the difference between a terminal and a console in Sun 5.5 CDE? Gives the option to open a console or terminal window, was wondering what the diff is? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

3. Programming

what difference between "terminal" and "console"

1 . Thank you for reading the post first. 2 . what difference between "terminal" and "console" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

4. AIX

Difference between tty and console devices ?

Hi, What is the diference between these two ? thanks Vilius (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and ttys

Sometimes when I open up the terminal (like just now) it says Last login: Wed Jun 17 07:29:25 on console sometimes it says ttys (like when I exit and open a new window/tab). What's the difference? and is something fishy going on? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
6 Replies

6. Fedora

console vs terminal ???

Hello sir, I was using the FEDORA 10.I saw both Console and terminal here.Can u please brief me about the differences between these two.....:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between system console and ILOM .

HI Guru's Can any one explain me the difference between a system console and a ILOM (SC). Thanks in Advance. RK :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Console vs terminal

What is the difference between a console and terminal? When you hit ctrl+alt+f2 from the gui are you going into a console or terminal? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start a shell script in a terminal console from graphic environment?

Hello. Normally when you double click on the file name, the shell script start in background. If you want to see what is going on, you must open a terminal console and start the shell within the terminal. Is it possible to start directly a shell script in a terminal console from the file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Virtual Terminal (Console) showing non-global zone?

Hope that everyone is doing well today. Happy Friday. I am running an illumos (opensolaris) based system which is like SmartOS, OmniOS, and OpenIndiana I have been searching all over the Internet into various documents and forms that have to do with Solaris, Opensolaris, Illumos, and SmartOS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LonnieTC
3 Replies
PAM_ENV.CONF(5) 						 Linux-PAM Manual						   PAM_ENV.CONF(5)

NAME
pam_env.conf - the environment variables config file DESCRIPTION
The /etc/security/pam_env.conf file specifies the environment variables to be set, unset or modified by pam_env(8). When someone logs in, this file is read and the environment variables are set according. Each line starts with the variable name, there are then two possible options for each variable DEFAULT and OVERRIDE. DEFAULT allows and administrator to set the value of the variable to some default value, if none is supplied then the empty string is assumed. The OVERRIDE option tells pam_env that it should enter in its value (overriding the default value) if there is one to use. OVERRIDE is not used, "" is assumed and no override will be done. VARIABLE [DEFAULT=[value]] [OVERRIDE=[value]] (Possibly non-existent) environment variables may be used in values using the ${string} syntax and (possibly non-existent) PAM_ITEMs may be used in values using the @{string} syntax. Both the $ and @ characters can be backslash escaped to be used as literal values values can be delimited with "", escaped " not supported. Note that many environment variables that you would like to use may not be set by the time the module is called. For example, HOME is used below several times, but many PAM applications don't make it available by the time you need it. The "#" character at start of line (no space at front) can be used to mark this line as a comment line. EXAMPLES
These are some example lines which might be specified in /etc/security/pam_env.conf. Set the REMOTEHOST variable for any hosts that are remote, default to "localhost" rather than not being set at all REMOTEHOST DEFAULT=localhost OVERRIDE=@{PAM_RHOST} Set the DISPLAY variable if it seems reasonable DISPLAY DEFAULT=${REMOTEHOST}:0.0 OVERRIDE=${DISPLAY} Now some simple variables PAGER DEFAULT=less MANPAGER DEFAULT=less LESS DEFAULT="M q e h15 z23 b80" NNTPSERVER DEFAULT=localhost PATH DEFAULT=${HOME}/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin :/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin/X11:/usr/bin/X11 Silly examples of escaped variables, just to show how they work. DOLLAR DEFAULT=$ DOLLARDOLLAR DEFAULT= OVERRIDE=$${DOLLAR} DOLLARPLUS DEFAULT=${REMOTEHOST}${REMOTEHOST} ATSIGN DEFAULT="" OVERRIDE=@ SEE ALSO
pam_env(8), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_env was written by Dave Kinchlea <kinch@kinch.ark.com>. Linux-PAM Manual 09/19/2013 PAM_ENV.CONF(5)