Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between console and Terminal. Post 302508062 by LivinFree on Friday 25th of March 2011 02:40:26 PM
Old 03-25-2011
Your $DISPLAY variable is not getting set for some reason.
This User Gave Thanks to LivinFree For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console terminal

if I am on "host13" and I rlogin to "host14" using root, is there any way to open up a console window on "host14" so that it will appear for that particular user sitting there at the time (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AMisledDrummer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal vs console

What's the difference between a terminal and a console in Sun 5.5 CDE? Gives the option to open a console or terminal window, was wondering what the diff is? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

3. Programming

what difference between "terminal" and "console"

1 . Thank you for reading the post first. 2 . what difference between "terminal" and "console" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

4. AIX

Difference between tty and console devices ?

Hi, What is the diference between these two ? thanks Vilius (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and ttys

Sometimes when I open up the terminal (like just now) it says Last login: Wed Jun 17 07:29:25 on console sometimes it says ttys (like when I exit and open a new window/tab). What's the difference? and is something fishy going on? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
6 Replies

6. Fedora

console vs terminal ???

Hello sir, I was using the FEDORA 10.I saw both Console and terminal here.Can u please brief me about the differences between these two.....:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between system console and ILOM .

HI Guru's Can any one explain me the difference between a system console and a ILOM (SC). Thanks in Advance. RK :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Console vs terminal

What is the difference between a console and terminal? When you hit ctrl+alt+f2 from the gui are you going into a console or terminal? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start a shell script in a terminal console from graphic environment?

Hello. Normally when you double click on the file name, the shell script start in background. If you want to see what is going on, you must open a terminal console and start the shell within the terminal. Is it possible to start directly a shell script in a terminal console from the file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Virtual Terminal (Console) showing non-global zone?

Hope that everyone is doing well today. Happy Friday. I am running an illumos (opensolaris) based system which is like SmartOS, OmniOS, and OpenIndiana I have been searching all over the Internet into various documents and forms that have to do with Solaris, Opensolaris, Illumos, and SmartOS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LonnieTC
3 Replies
console(7D)							      Devices							       console(7D)

NAME
console - STREAMS-based console interface SYNOPSIS
/dev/console DESCRIPTION
The file /dev/console refers to the system console device. /dev/console should be used for interactive purposes only. Use of /dev/console for logging purposes is discouraged; syslog(3C) or msglog(7D) should be used instead. The identity of this device depends on the EEPROM or NVRAM settings in effect at the most recent system reboot; by default, it is the ``workstation console'' device consisting of the workstation keyboard and frame buffer acting in concert to emulate an ASCII terminal (see wscons(7D)). Regardless of the system configuration, the console device provides asynchronous serial driver semantics so that, in conjunction with the STREAMS line discipline module ldterm(7M), it supports the termio(7I) terminal interface. SEE ALSO
syslog(3C), termios(3C), ldterm(7M), termio(7I), msglog(7D), wscons(7D) NOTES
In contrast to pre-SunOS 5.0 releases, it is no longer possible to redirect I/O intended for /dev/console to some other device. Instead, redirection now applies to the workstation console device using a revised programming interface (see wscons(7D)). Since the system console is normally configured to be the work station console, the overall effect is largely unchanged from previous releases. See wscons(7D) for detailed descriptions of control sequence syntax, ANSI control functions, control character functions and escape sequence functions. SunOS 5.11 23 Apr 1999 console(7D)