Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between console and Terminal. Post 302508060 by theKbStockpiler on Friday 25th of March 2011 02:33:41 PM
Old 03-25-2011
Thanks for the Replies!

Terminal Commands: Control-Alt-F7

After login:
gedit (enter) (gedit: 3684) GTK-Warning**: cannot open display:

kate (enter) cannot connect to X Server

Is there a way to track down the application "Console" in GUI so I can see it under a init process? I'm wondering if just Getty starts a bash shell and everything else is a kernel driver. I thought unless X ran it , the application (bash shell) used direct system calls.

I'm reading a guide located here, Text-Terminal-HOWTO
Not a bad guide (because it is the only one) but has a huge gray area on terminology.

Part of the problem is that users use the same term that they should use display for as a terminal or a console and the physical display is interchanged with and application on the computer. I believe the distinction is really HOW the application is run on a computer be it with a graphics program , without a graphics program, or a program run on a X with out graphics.

It looks to me that if an application can be opened without graphics that it can be opened in a "terminal" running on X. So a terminal would really be a sectioned area on the GUI screen that does not involve graphics.

Thanks for your expertise it has helped in my understanding.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console terminal

if I am on "host13" and I rlogin to "host14" using root, is there any way to open up a console window on "host14" so that it will appear for that particular user sitting there at the time (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AMisledDrummer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal vs console

What's the difference between a terminal and a console in Sun 5.5 CDE? Gives the option to open a console or terminal window, was wondering what the diff is? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

3. Programming

what difference between "terminal" and "console"

1 . Thank you for reading the post first. 2 . what difference between "terminal" and "console" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

4. AIX

Difference between tty and console devices ?

Hi, What is the diference between these two ? thanks Vilius (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and ttys

Sometimes when I open up the terminal (like just now) it says Last login: Wed Jun 17 07:29:25 on console sometimes it says ttys (like when I exit and open a new window/tab). What's the difference? and is something fishy going on? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
6 Replies

6. Fedora

console vs terminal ???

Hello sir, I was using the FEDORA 10.I saw both Console and terminal here.Can u please brief me about the differences between these two.....:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between system console and ILOM .

HI Guru's Can any one explain me the difference between a system console and a ILOM (SC). Thanks in Advance. RK :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Console vs terminal

What is the difference between a console and terminal? When you hit ctrl+alt+f2 from the gui are you going into a console or terminal? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start a shell script in a terminal console from graphic environment?

Hello. Normally when you double click on the file name, the shell script start in background. If you want to see what is going on, you must open a terminal console and start the shell within the terminal. Is it possible to start directly a shell script in a terminal console from the file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Virtual Terminal (Console) showing non-global zone?

Hope that everyone is doing well today. Happy Friday. I am running an illumos (opensolaris) based system which is like SmartOS, OmniOS, and OpenIndiana I have been searching all over the Internet into various documents and forms that have to do with Solaris, Opensolaris, Illumos, and SmartOS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LonnieTC
3 Replies
Tk_GetGC(3)						       Tk Library Procedures						       Tk_GetGC(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tk_GetGC, Tk_FreeGC - maintain database of read-only graphics contexts SYNOPSIS
#include <tk.h> GC Tk_GetGC(tkwin, valueMask, valuePtr) Tk_FreeGC(display, gc) ARGUMENTS
Tk_Window tkwin (in) Token for window in which the graphics context will be used. unsigned long valueMask (in) Mask of bits (such as GCForeground or GCStipple) indicating which fields of *valuePtr are valid. XGCValues *valuePtr (in) Pointer to structure describing the desired values for the graphics context. Display *display (in) Display for which gc was allocated. GC gc (in) X identifier for graphics context that is no longer needed. Must have been allocated by Tk_GetGC. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tk_GetGC and Tk_FreeGC manage a collection of graphics contexts being used by an application. The procedures allow graphics contexts to be shared, thereby avoiding the server overhead that would be incurred if a separate GC were created for each use. Tk_GetGC takes arguments describing the desired graphics context and returns an X identifier for a GC that fits the description. The graphics context that is returned will have default values in all of the fields not specified explicitly by valueMask and valuePtr. Tk_GetGC maintains a database of all the graphics contexts it has created. Whenever possible, a call to Tk_GetGC will return an existing graphics context rather than creating a new one. This approach can substantially reduce server overhead, so Tk_GetGC should generally be used in preference to the Xlib procedure XCreateGC, which creates a new graphics context on each call. Since the return values of Tk_GetGC are shared, callers should never modify the graphics contexts returned by Tk_GetGC. If a graphics con- text must be modified dynamically, then it should be created by calling XCreateGC instead of Tk_GetGC. When a graphics context is no longer needed, Tk_FreeGC should be called to release it. There should be exactly one call to Tk_FreeGC for each call to Tk_GetGC. When a graphics context is no longer in use anywhere (i.e. it has been freed as many times as it has been gotten) Tk_FreeGC will release it to the X server and delete it from the database. KEYWORDS
graphics context Tk Tk_GetGC(3)