Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference between console and Terminal. Post 302507721 by theKbStockpiler on Thursday 24th of March 2011 03:20:19 PM
Old 03-24-2011
Difference between console and Terminal.

I see these terms used all the time with hardly any distinction between the two.

Any clarification would be appreciated!Smilie I could only get emacs to open in console so I was also wondering what are the common applications to use in console.Smilie

Last edited by theKbStockpiler; 03-24-2011 at 11:51 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console terminal

if I am on "host13" and I rlogin to "host14" using root, is there any way to open up a console window on "host14" so that it will appear for that particular user sitting there at the time (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AMisledDrummer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminal vs console

What's the difference between a terminal and a console in Sun 5.5 CDE? Gives the option to open a console or terminal window, was wondering what the diff is? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

3. Programming

what difference between "terminal" and "console"

1 . Thank you for reading the post first. 2 . what difference between "terminal" and "console" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

4. AIX

Difference between tty and console devices ?

Hi, What is the diference between these two ? thanks Vilius (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between console and ttys

Sometimes when I open up the terminal (like just now) it says Last login: Wed Jun 17 07:29:25 on console sometimes it says ttys (like when I exit and open a new window/tab). What's the difference? and is something fishy going on? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
6 Replies

6. Fedora

console vs terminal ???

Hello sir, I was using the FEDORA 10.I saw both Console and terminal here.Can u please brief me about the differences between these two.....:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between system console and ILOM .

HI Guru's Can any one explain me the difference between a system console and a ILOM (SC). Thanks in Advance. RK :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Console vs terminal

What is the difference between a console and terminal? When you hit ctrl+alt+f2 from the gui are you going into a console or terminal? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start a shell script in a terminal console from graphic environment?

Hello. Normally when you double click on the file name, the shell script start in background. If you want to see what is going on, you must open a terminal console and start the shell within the terminal. Is it possible to start directly a shell script in a terminal console from the file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Virtual Terminal (Console) showing non-global zone?

Hope that everyone is doing well today. Happy Friday. I am running an illumos (opensolaris) based system which is like SmartOS, OmniOS, and OpenIndiana I have been searching all over the Internet into various documents and forms that have to do with Solaris, Opensolaris, Illumos, and SmartOS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LonnieTC
3 Replies
SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8) 	       systemd-ask-password-console.service		   SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-ask-password-console.service, systemd-ask-password-console.path, systemd-ask-password-wall.service, systemd-ask-password-wall.path - Query the user for system passwords on the console and via wall SYNOPSIS
systemd-ask-password-console.service systemd-ask-password-console.path systemd-ask-password-wall.service systemd-ask-password-wall.path DESCRIPTION
systemd-ask-password-console.service is a system service that queries the user for system passwords (such as hard disk encryption keys and SSL certificate passphrases) on the console. It is intended to be used during boot to ensure proper handling of passwords necessary for boot. systemd-ask-password-wall.service is a system service that informs all logged in users for system passwords via wall(1). It is intended to be used after boot to ensure that users are properly notified. See the developer documentation[1] for more information about the system password logic. Note that these services invoke systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1) with either the --watch --console or --watch --wall command line parameters. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1), wall(1) NOTES
1. developer documentation https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents systemd 237 SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8)