Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Precedence in operators issue Post 302504471 by arvindspr06 on Monday 14th of March 2011 05:09:03 PM
Old 03-14-2011
Thanks for your quick reply Perdarabo.

I am using /bin/ksh . Could it be it does not work in that shell?

echo $SHELL. Can you tell me what shell you are using?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

EOF & precedence of !=

Gurus, I am teaching myself C and have a question. I wrote a small prog that reads characters as entered at the prompt and checks the value for EOF. Unless I am 100% wrong, the value will be '1' until getchar() has anything to read in my stream. /* PROG 1 */ #include <stdio.h> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

precedence of stderr and stdout

#!/usr/bin/perl open(STDOUT, ">>$Textfile") open(STDERR, ">>$Textfile") print "program running\n"; $final = join("+", $initial,$final) #5 close (STDOUT); close (STDERR);Hi all, above is my perl code. Notice i have captured the stdout and stderr to the same textfile. my code is expected to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting precedence with getopts

Hi, I am re-writing a script I wrote which emulated the "rm" command, in my orginal script I had problems with precedence, I did find a way round it by creating a seperate case statements which checked the options and performed the actions accordingly, does anyone know if I can use getopts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jack1981
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operators

I am trying to understand Does the following: {tmp+=$10} Mean take $10 and add them all up and call it tmp thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

5. Programming

Makefile -> pc precedence over c

Hi All, I have created a common makefile that compiles both pc and c files. i have created the dependency between the files as .pc.o: ----------- .c.o: ----------- I will be deleting the .c files created from the .pc files, once the object file is created. ( better storage... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: quintet
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Operators

I really don't know the meaning of these operators. Could someone explain the meanings so I can make my test for today? <, <=, ==, !=, >=, >, ||, &&, ! ~ , !~ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Erjen
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operators

I really don't know the meaning of these operators. Could someone explain the meanings? <, <=, ==, !=, >=, >, ||, &&, ! ~ , !~ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Erjen
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

issue with multiple logical operators

Hi, shell is /bin/ksh I am trying to do the following in my code.. but its showing me an error if ] && ] ]]; then echo "id is $ida and chk_dy is $chk_dy" fi the error I get is syntax error at line 23 : `"$ida"' unexpected I need to execute the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What should be precedence of using awk, sed, head and tail in UNIX?

Hi All, I am new to unix. In this forum some days back, I have read something like below: 1) Do not use perl if awk can do your work. 2) Do not use awk if sed can do your work. . . . I do not re-collect the whole thing. I think it is good to know the precedence of using these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
2 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)