Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: command line arguments
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting command line arguments Post 302503691 by joeyg on Friday 11th of March 2011 10:25:09 AM
Old 03-11-2011
Are you expecting the user to type the prompt> or do you want that to automatically appear on the screen? To have it automatically appear, review the PS1 parameter.
For your cmd - you will need to make that cmd into a script. The script would then handle your arguments.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

command line arguments

Hi How to pass multi line text as a command line argument to a program. (i.e) ./a.out hi this is sample 0 file1 where hi this is sample should be stored in argv 0 in argv and so on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankpro
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arguments in command line

Hi all, How many arguments can we pass while testing a prgm at command line.. I encountered an issue while passing 10 arguments. For $10 its taking argument passed for $1 followed by 'zero'. can we pass more than 9 arguments /Is there any other way. Thanks, rrs (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrs
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

command line arguments

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have this while loop and at the end I am trying to get it to tell me the last argument I entered. And with it like this all I get is the sentence with no value for $1. Now I tried moving done after the sentence... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skooly5
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error in command line arguments

Hi, When i am running the following script 1.sh (without giving the command line arguments) then i am getting the following error. if then echo "UID and PWD are correct" elif then echo "Either UID or PWD is wrong. Please check your UID and PWD" else echo "UID and PWD can't be blank"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line arguments.

I am working on a script wherein i need the user to enter the Build ID for eg:the command line will show enter the build ID Now on entering the build ID it should be assigned to @ARGV. How can this be done.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Varghese
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getopts - command line arguments

Hi, I'm having problems with a script where I wanted every single option specified in the command line to have an argument taken with it, but for some reason only d works in the code I will be showing below. For example if I did ./thisfile -a something it would come up with "a chosen with " as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IceX
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maximum command line arguments

Hi, Can anyone please help me to know what is the maximum number of command line arguments that we can pass in unix shell script? Thanks in advance, Punitha.S (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: puni
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command line arguments

hi, can someone how to accept command line arguments as a variable using in script? like: ./scriptname arguments by accept arguments, I can use it in my script? thx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Line Arguments - not working

I am new to the world of Unix and shell scripting and have been trying to get the following simple script to work: #!/bin/bash echo "what is your age?" echo "you are $1 years old"I want to be able to enter my age on the command line, when prompted, and it return the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meursault
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command line arguments for addition

Hi all, I am trying to write a code for addition of n numbers which will be passed by the user as command line arguments. I wrote the following code. add=0 for (( i = 1 ; i <= $# ; i++ )) do add=`expr $i + $add` done #echo "sum is : $add" input : $./add.sh 12 32 14... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PranavEcstasy
7 Replies
TRACE-CMD-CHECK_EV(1)													     TRACE-CMD-CHECK_EV(1)

NAME
trace-cmd-check-events - parse the event formats on local system SYNOPSIS
trace-cmd check-events [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
The trace-cmd(1) check-events parses format strings for all the events on the local system. It returns whether all the format strings can be parsed correctly. It will load plugins unless specified otherwise. This is useful to check for any trace event format strings which may contain some internal kernel function references which cannot be decoded outside of the kernel. This may mean that either the unparsed format strings of the trace events need to be changed or that a plugin needs to be created to parse them. OPTIONS
-N - Don't load plugins SEE ALSO
trace-cmd(1), trace-cmd-record(1), trace-cmd-report(1), trace-cmd-stop(1), trace-cmd-extract(1), trace-cmd-reset(1), trace-cmd-split(1), trace-cmd-list(1), trace-cmd-listen(1), trace-cmd-start(1) AUTHOR
Written by Vaibhav Nagarnaik, <vnagarnaik@google.com[1]> RESOURCES
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rostedt/trace-cmd.git COPYING
Copyright (C) 2011 Google, Inc. Free use of this software is granted under the terms of the GNU Public License (GPL). NOTES
1. vnagarnaik@google.com mailto:vnagarnaik@google.com 06/11/2014 TRACE-CMD-CHECK_EV(1)