Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Meaning of '$#' in Unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Meaning of '$#' in Unix Post 302502789 by Oracle_User on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 12:48:17 AM
Old 03-09-2011
Meaning of '$#' in Unix

All,

In the below mentioned piece of code :

Code:
if test $# -eq 1
        then
            echo "Input parameter passed into DMI_weekly.ksh..." | tee -a $RUNLOG
            typeset -u ORACLE_SID
            export ORACLE_SID="$1"
        else
            echo "ERROR 060: Arguments passed to DMI_weekly.ksh do not equal 1..." | tee -a $RUNLOG
            echo "***Verify that a valid ORACLE_SID is being passed when calling script..." >> $RUNLOG
            echo "See $RUNLOG for more details..."
            echo "\nExiting DMI_weekly.ksh with exit status=1...\n"| tee -a $RUNLOG
            echo "Preload Error:  Arguments passed to DMI_weekly.ksh do not equal 1" |mailx -s "DMI_weekly.ksh (ERROR 070)" "
$MAILID"
        exit 1
    fi

what '$#' tells to the unix ...?

Regards
Oracle user

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 03-09-2011 at 03:13 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of unix-rt ldp file type

Hello I was wondering what this file type means... assuming it is some type of data. Is ldp - Linux Doc Program? What type of program would be used to read or interpret this file type? As you can see I'm not a developer, and don't review these types of files. But would like to view... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfmrts
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of ; in UNIX file?

Hello. I'm looking at a file that has a ; at the beginning of certain lines. Could someone please tell me what that means? Is it a comment? Is it an execute? Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: willdaw3
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Oot: Level 2 Unix Support? meaning

Hi all, I am sorry, I know this is not correct forum/silly question (usually this is requirement in some vacancies), but i hope someone can explain to me, what is the meaning of : SUN Tier 3 Support Tier 3 Application Installation Level 2 Solaris Level 2 AD MOM + DBA Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of $_

Hi, Can somebody tell the usage of "$_" cd $_ ? and ls $_ ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of each term in stty -a in unix

Hi, Can someone help me with the meaning of each term in the below command in unix: stty-aRegds, I have searched google for a lot for this, but didnt get any success in this. Kunwar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of <<!

Hi all, I wanna know the meaning of the last word "<<! " sudo su - user <<! please help on this !!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Script - snipet meaning?

What would the below code snippet mean? my ($_configParam, $_paramValue) = split(/\s*=\s*/, $_, 2); $configParamHash{$_configParam} = $_paramValue; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaKha
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

&& meaning in UNIX

Hi Team, I know that "&" holds the result of current pattern match. But what does "&&" means and its use please? Thanks & Regards, Batta Archana (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Archana Batta
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of ## in UNIX shell script?

Hi All, I am new to unix shell scripting and I was documenting one of the unix script and encountered below statements - for ii in `ls -1rt /oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/*.small.txt | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}'` do smallssim=${ii##/oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuklajayb4
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of $1^

Hello everyone, I'm looking for the meaning of this expression, as I don't understand it quite clearly : $1^ What do you think it could be? I thought either: - match lines starting with argument 1 but it should be ^$1 - turn line around : word becomes drow Thanks in advance for your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibelo
4 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)