Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Meaning of '$#' in Unix
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Meaning of '$#' in Unix Post 302502789 by Oracle_User on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 12:48:17 AM
Old 03-09-2011
Meaning of '$#' in Unix

All,

In the below mentioned piece of code :

Code:
if test $# -eq 1
        then
            echo "Input parameter passed into DMI_weekly.ksh..." | tee -a $RUNLOG
            typeset -u ORACLE_SID
            export ORACLE_SID="$1"
        else
            echo "ERROR 060: Arguments passed to DMI_weekly.ksh do not equal 1..." | tee -a $RUNLOG
            echo "***Verify that a valid ORACLE_SID is being passed when calling script..." >> $RUNLOG
            echo "See $RUNLOG for more details..."
            echo "\nExiting DMI_weekly.ksh with exit status=1...\n"| tee -a $RUNLOG
            echo "Preload Error:  Arguments passed to DMI_weekly.ksh do not equal 1" |mailx -s "DMI_weekly.ksh (ERROR 070)" "
$MAILID"
        exit 1
    fi

what '$#' tells to the unix ...?

Regards
Oracle user

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 03-09-2011 at 03:13 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of unix-rt ldp file type

Hello I was wondering what this file type means... assuming it is some type of data. Is ldp - Linux Doc Program? What type of program would be used to read or interpret this file type? As you can see I'm not a developer, and don't review these types of files. But would like to view... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfmrts
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of ; in UNIX file?

Hello. I'm looking at a file that has a ; at the beginning of certain lines. Could someone please tell me what that means? Is it a comment? Is it an execute? Thank You (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: willdaw3
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Oot: Level 2 Unix Support? meaning

Hi all, I am sorry, I know this is not correct forum/silly question (usually this is requirement in some vacancies), but i hope someone can explain to me, what is the meaning of : SUN Tier 3 Support Tier 3 Application Installation Level 2 Solaris Level 2 AD MOM + DBA Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of $_

Hi, Can somebody tell the usage of "$_" cd $_ ? and ls $_ ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of each term in stty -a in unix

Hi, Can someone help me with the meaning of each term in the below command in unix: stty-aRegds, I have searched google for a lot for this, but didnt get any success in this. Kunwar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunwar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of <<!

Hi all, I wanna know the meaning of the last word "<<! " sudo su - user <<! please help on this !!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Script - snipet meaning?

What would the below code snippet mean? my ($_configParam, $_paramValue) = split(/\s*=\s*/, $_, 2); $configParamHash{$_configParam} = $_paramValue; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaKha
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

&& meaning in UNIX

Hi Team, I know that "&" holds the result of current pattern match. But what does "&&" means and its use please? Thanks & Regards, Batta Archana (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Archana Batta
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of ## in UNIX shell script?

Hi All, I am new to unix shell scripting and I was documenting one of the unix script and encountered below statements - for ii in `ls -1rt /oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/*.small.txt | tail -1 | awk '{print $1}'` do smallssim=${ii##/oracle/admin/MARSCOPY/ext_files/fpm-ifpm/}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuklajayb4
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of $1^

Hello everyone, I'm looking for the meaning of this expression, as I don't understand it quite clearly : $1^ What do you think it could be? I thought either: - match lines starting with argument 1 but it should be ^$1 - turn line around : word becomes drow Thanks in advance for your... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bibelo
4 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)