Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get text between two tags in bash (awk) Post 302501609 by rkoziol7 on Friday 4th of March 2011 03:43:54 AM
Old 03-04-2011
Thanks for your answers. The last answer works of course with my file.

My mistake that I have cut my sample too much :/

Imagine the other text file, slightly more complex:

Code:
<category name="Temp1">something1<blah>some<test>aa</test></blah></category>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
</TD></TR></TABLE></BODY></HTML>
<category name="Temp2">something2<cat><test1>aa</test1>ww</cat></category>
<category name="Temp1">something1<blah>some<test>aa</test></blah></category> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> </TD></TR></TABLE></BODY></HTML> <category name="Temp2">something2<cat><test1>aa</test1>ww</cat></category>

I would like to get:
(Toggle Plain Text)

Code:
<category name="Temp1">something1<blah>some<test>aa</test></blah></category><category name="Temp2">something2<cat><test1>aa</test1>ww</cat></category><category name="Temp1">something1<blah>some<test>aa</test></blah></category><category name="Temp2">something2<cat><test1>aa</test1>ww</cat></category>

from it. Could you tell me how to rewrite the command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing text colour in bash

I am doing a basic script to check if services are disabled, and I was wondering how to change to colours for PASS and FAIL to green & red respectively. #!/usr/bin/bash clear TELNET=`svcs -a | grep telnet | awk '{print $1}'` if then RESULT=PASS else RESULT=FAIL fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: detatchedd
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with text and wc

Hi! I´m all new to Unix and scripts, I´ve tried to write a script for wc with text so the output looks better, can anyone help me please? I want it like this example: >textWc file #<scriptname> <file to to run script on> File: file Rows: 7 Words: 56 Signs: 1312 > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oskis
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text from within a section of text using AWK

I have a command which returns the below output. How can I write a script to extract mainhost and secondhost from this output and put it into an array? I may sometimes have more hosts like thirdhost. I am redirecting this output to a variable. So I guess there should be a awk or sed command to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: heykiran
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a text file using bash

I've a file in linux with following text: ;ip address hostname put-location alt-put-location tftpserver 192.168.1.1 r01-lab1-net /mnt/nas1/fgbu/ /opt/fgbu/devicebackup 192.168.1.254Now I want to read these values and assign them to particular variables... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search text beween tags and write to file using awk

Hi Friends, I have a very big text file, that has code for multiple functions. I have scan through the file and write each function in seperate file. All functions starts with BEGIN DSFNC Identifier "ABCDDataValidationfnc" and ends with END DSFNC I need create a file(using identifier)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandapani
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text manipulation with sed/awk in a bash script

Guys, I have a variable in a script that I want to transform to into something else Im hoping you guys can help. It doesn't have to use sed/awk but I figured these would be the simplest. DATE=20160120 I'd like to transform $DATE into "01-20-16" and move it into a new variable called... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dendenyc
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to skip lines find text and add text based on number

I am trying to use awk skip each line with a ## or # and check each line after for STB= and if that value in greater than or = to 0.8, then at the end of line the text "STRAND BIAS" is written in else "GOOD". So in the file of 4 entries attached. awk tried: awk NR > "##"' "#" -F"STB="... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select text and apply it to a selected file in bash

In the bash below I am asking the user for a panel and reading that into bed. Then asking the user for a file and reading that into file1.Is the grep in bold the correct way to apply the selected panel to the file? I am getting a syntax error. Thank you :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
EMPTY-PAGE(1)							 ExactImage Manual						     EMPTY-PAGE(1)

NAME
empty-page - empty page detector of the ExactImage toolkit SYNOPSIS
empty-page [option...] {-i | --input} input-file empty-page {-h | --help} DESCRIPTION
ExactImage is a fast C++ image processing library. Unlike many other library frameworks it allows operation in several color spaces and bit depths natively, resulting in low memory and computational requirements. empty-page counts dark pixels of a black and white image and decides with a threshold whether the page is most probably empty, and thus can be removed from the image processing stream. OPTIONS
-i file, --input file Read image from the specified file. -m n, --margin n Set width of border margin to skip. For speed reasons, the margin has to be a multiple of 8. The default is 16. -p x, --percentage x Set fraction of permissible dark pixels. The default is 0.05 (5%). -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
$ empty-page -i test.tif The image has 75461 dark pixels from a total of 1060992 (7.11231%). non-empty EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 if the image is mostly white, 1 otherwise. SEE ALSO
exactimage(7) AUTHORS
Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> Wrote this manual page for the Debian system. http://www.exactcode.de/site/open_source/exactimage/ This manual page incorporates texts found on the ExactImage homepage. COPYRIGHT
This manual page was written for the Debian system (and may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or (at your option) any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2. empty-page 09/09/2013 EMPTY-PAGE(1)