Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users penalty for case insensitive grep Post 302499611 by Corona688 on Thursday 24th of February 2011 10:29:04 PM
Old 02-24-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil518
Can someone provide some insight why this is the case?
Is this GNU grep? The GNU utilities, unusually, try to handle your character set as appropriate. This means when you tell it to be case insensitive, that busts out some pretty heavy-duty routines in order to do so properly.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

case insensitive locate

How can I do a case insensitive locate? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davis.ml
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk case-insensitive

can I tell awk to be case insensitive for one operation without setting the ignorecase value ? thanks, Steffen (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to make case insensitive checks????

Hi, I have tried to make the conditions similar to the below one's, perhaps, I am not sure if there are any more way's to do that???? if ) ]] echo "Whatever" fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitmansilentass
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

case insensitive

hi everyone, I need to do the following thing in a case insesitive mode sed 's/work/job/g' filename since work could appear in different form as Work WORK WorK wORK,.... I was wondering if i could do a case insensitive search of a word. thanks in advance, :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make sed case insensitive

I need to remove a pattern say, ABCD whether it is in uppercase or lowercase from a string. How to do it using SED? for example ABCDEF should output to EF abcdEF should also output to EF (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

case-insensitive if on substring

I'd like to print a line if a substring is matched in a case insensitive manner something like do a case insensitive search for ABCD as a substring: awk '{ if (substr($1,1,4) == "") print $1 }' infile > outfile I'm not certain how to make the syntax work??? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

case-insensitive search with AWK

Hi All, How we can perform case-insensitive search with AWK.:rolleyes: regards, Sam (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case Insensitive search

Hey , i am trying to do a search for the certain books , and im trying to make it case insensitive. what i have come up with so far is this : Database.txt RETARDED MONKEY:RACHEAL ABRAHAML:30:30:20 GOLD:FATIN:23.20:12:3 STUPID:JERLYN:20:40:3 echo -n "Title: " read Title echo -n... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using FIND with case insensitive search

I am using HP-Unix B.11.31. Question: How to do the case insensitive search using FIND? Example: I would like list the files with extension of *.SQL & *.sql. When I try with command find . -type f -name *.sql, it does not lists file with *.SQL. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using awk to search case insensitive

Hello , Using the below scrip to search a string in a file , by case-insensitively Please assist on using the toupper() as getting error !. #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x curr_dir=`pwd` file_ctr=0 printf "\n Reviewing the output file from the directory: %s \n\n" $curr_dir ls -latr ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)