Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get text between two tags in bash (awk) Post 302499040 by rkoziol7 on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 05:51:24 AM
Old 02-23-2011
get text between two tags in bash (awk)

Hi,

I have a sample text file:

Code:
<category name="Temp1">something1</category><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
</TD></TR></TABLE></BODY></HTML>
<category name="Temp2">something2
</category>

New lines in the file may or may not occur.

I would like to get only those parts of the file which are between the closest 'category' tags, so in this example:

Code:
<category name="Temp1">something1</category><category name="Temp2">something2</category>

I am trying to force awk to do that like that:

Code:
awk -F "</?category.*>" '{ print $1 }' file.txt

But this command gives me only:

Code:
</TD></TR></TABLE></BODY></HTML>

Could anyone point me how to write the command properly?

Regards,
Robert

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing text colour in bash

I am doing a basic script to check if services are disabled, and I was wondering how to change to colours for PASS and FAIL to green & red respectively. #!/usr/bin/bash clear TELNET=`svcs -a | grep telnet | awk '{print $1}'` if then RESULT=PASS else RESULT=FAIL fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: detatchedd
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with text and wc

Hi! I´m all new to Unix and scripts, I´ve tried to write a script for wc with text so the output looks better, can anyone help me please? I want it like this example: >textWc file #<scriptname> <file to to run script on> File: file Rows: 7 Words: 56 Signs: 1312 > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oskis
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text from within a section of text using AWK

I have a command which returns the below output. How can I write a script to extract mainhost and secondhost from this output and put it into an array? I may sometimes have more hosts like thirdhost. I am redirecting this output to a variable. So I guess there should be a awk or sed command to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: heykiran
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a text file using bash

I've a file in linux with following text: ;ip address hostname put-location alt-put-location tftpserver 192.168.1.1 r01-lab1-net /mnt/nas1/fgbu/ /opt/fgbu/devicebackup 192.168.1.254Now I want to read these values and assign them to particular variables... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search text beween tags and write to file using awk

Hi Friends, I have a very big text file, that has code for multiple functions. I have scan through the file and write each function in seperate file. All functions starts with BEGIN DSFNC Identifier "ABCDDataValidationfnc" and ends with END DSFNC I need create a file(using identifier)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandapani
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text manipulation with sed/awk in a bash script

Guys, I have a variable in a script that I want to transform to into something else Im hoping you guys can help. It doesn't have to use sed/awk but I figured these would be the simplest. DATE=20160120 I'd like to transform $DATE into "01-20-16" and move it into a new variable called... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dendenyc
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to skip lines find text and add text based on number

I am trying to use awk skip each line with a ## or # and check each line after for STB= and if that value in greater than or = to 0.8, then at the end of line the text "STRAND BIAS" is written in else "GOOD". So in the file of 4 entries attached. awk tried: awk NR > "##"' "#" -F"STB="... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select text and apply it to a selected file in bash

In the bash below I am asking the user for a panel and reading that into bed. Then asking the user for a file and reading that into file1.Is the grep in bold the correct way to apply the selected panel to the file? I am getting a syntax error. Thank you :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
code(n) 							    [incr Tcl]								   code(n)

NAME
code - capture the namespace context for a code fragment SYNOPSIS
code ?-namespace name? command ?arg arg ...? DESCRIPTION
Creates a scoped value for the specified command and its associated arg arguments. A scoped value is a list with three elements: the "@scope" keyword, a namespace context, and a value string. For example, the command namespace foo { code puts "Hello World!" } produces the scoped value: @scope ::foo {puts {Hello World!}} Note that the code command captures the cur- rent namespace context. If the -namespace flag is specified, then the current context is ignored, and the name string is used as the namespace context. Extensions like Tk execute ordinary code fragments in the global namespace. A scoped value captures a code fragment together with its namespace context in a way that allows it to be executed properly later. It is needed, for example, to wrap up code fragments when a Tk widget is used within a namespace: namespace foo { private proc report {mesg} { puts "click: $mesg" } button .b1 -text "Push Me" -command [code report "Hello World!"] pack .b1 } The code fragment associated with button .b1 only makes sense in the context of namespace "foo". Furthermore, the "report" procedure is private, and can only be accessed within that namespace. The code command wraps up the code fragment in a way that allows it to be executed properly when the button is pressed. Also, note that the code command preserves the integrity of arguments on the command line. This makes it a natural replacement for the list command, which is often used to format Tcl code fragments. In other words, instead of using the list command like this: after 1000 [list puts "Hello $name!"] use the code command like this: after 1000 [code puts "Hello $name!"] This not only formats the command cor- rectly, but also captures its namespace context. Scoped commands can be invoked like ordinary code fragments, with or without the eval command. For example, the following statements work properly: set cmd {@scope ::foo .b1} $cmd configure -background red set opts {-bg blue -fg white} eval $cmd configure $opts Note that scoped commands by-pass the usual protection mechanisms; the command: @scope ::foo {report {Hello World!}} can be used to access the "foo::report" proc from any namespace context, even though it is private. KEYWORDS
scope, callback, namespace, public, protected, private itcl 3.0 code(n)