Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris X11 and "Cannot Open Display" errors Post 302497930 by bluescreen on Friday 18th of February 2011 12:02:51 PM
Old 02-18-2011
Lightbulb X11 and "Cannot Open Display" errors

Greetings Forumers!

I'm posting a solution to an Issue I ran into this week: Getting applications to display on another through X11 and SSH. I have run into this issue many years ago and finally found my notes. Some of you may already know the answer to this issue but it took me a while to resolve it for myself.

Scenerio: both systems running Solaris 10u4 or greater, remote system=SPARC(M5000) and my workstation running x86(Ultra24).

I was merely trying to get xclock to display on my workstation from a remote system to test that x11 was working. I ran "xhost +remotehost" on my system before I started an ssh session to the remote system. I set the DISPLAY var and ran xclock. This failed repeatedly with "Cannot Open Display" errors. I tried changing the DISPLAY var with variations of "mysystem:0" and "mysystem:0.0" and "mysystem:1", etc., etc. Long story short: nothing worked.

The resolution that worked was to modify the "tcplisten" option in the "application/x11/x11-server" service on my system to "true":
Code:
mysystem# svccfg -s application/x11/x11-server
svc:/application/x11/x11-server> listprop options/*
options/default_depth        integer  24
options/server               astring  /usr/X11/bin/Xorg
options/server_args          astring
options/stability            astring  Evolving
options/value_authorization  astring  solaris.smf.manage.x11
options/tcp_listen           boolean  false
svc:/application/x11/x11-server> setprop options/tcp_listen=true
svc:/application/x11/x11-server> listprop options/*
options/default_depth        integer  24
options/server               astring  /usr/X11/bin/Xorg
options/server_args          astring
options/stability            astring  Evolving
options/value_authorization  astring  solaris.smf.manage.x11
options/tcp_listen           boolean  true
svc:/application/x11/x11-server> exit
mysystem#

After setting this I was able to get xclock to display on my system.

HTH

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file"

keep getting an error when I try to revert to a snapshot: "VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file" Im using vmware server 1.0.4, host OS is windows xp and guest OS is SLES. Is there anything I can do to recover the snapshot or am I in trouble!?!?! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
0 Replies

2. AIX

"too big" and "not enough memory" errors in shell script

Hi, This is odd, however here goes. There are several shell scripts that run in our production environment AIX 595 LPAR m/c, which has sufficient memory 14GB (physical memory) and horsepower 5CPUs. However from time to time we get the following errors in these shell scripts. The time when these... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
11 Replies

3. IP Networking

Unknown open port: "6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker" found with nmap

Hi. I ran nmap on my server, and I get the following: Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-19 16:33 EDT Interesting ports on -------- (-----): Not shown: 997 closed ports PORT STATE SERVICE 22/tcp open ssh 80/tcp open http 6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"Gtk-WARNING cannot open display" from ssh

I am trying to do something on another computer through ssh and I keep getting this:"(gedit:6169): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:"I have googled the interweb and this forum and found many posts but nothing seems to work. I have freshly installed Ubuntu 8.10 with updates on the machine and I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrabbit6
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[Solved] putty+x11:How do I pass X11 display rights to "su"?

I can log into a unix system with Putty. I've set the "X11 forwarding" checkbox, and I've verified that I can display an X11 window back on my laptop. What I need to be able to do is "su" to another uid after logging in and then run something which display a window back on my laptop, with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkarr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

8. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
XpSelectInput(3Xp)						 XPRINT FUNCTIONS						XpSelectInput(3Xp)

NAME
XpSelectInput - Specifies which X Print events, from the specified print context, the client is interested in. SYNOPSIS
void XpSelectInput ( display, context, event_mask ) Display *display; XPContext context; unsigned long event_mask; ARGUMENTS
display Specifies a pointer to the Display structure; returned from XOpenDisplay. context Specifies the print context from which to select events. event_mask Specifies the event mask. This mask is the bitwise OR one or more of the valid events mask bits (see below). DESCRIPTION
XpSelectInput selects which X Print events from the specified print context the client is interest in. The X Print Events are generated from a current print context, and not from a window as is the case with XSelectInput. STRUCTURES
The bits for event_mask are defined in <X11/extensions/Print.h>: #define XPNoEventMask 0 #define XPPrintMask (1L<<0) #define XPAttributeMask (1L<<1) The resulting events are defined in <X11/extensions/Print.h>: #define XPPrintNotify 0 #define XPAttributeNotify 1 DIAGNOSTICS
BadValue The value specified for event_mask is not valid. XPBadContext The specified print context is not valid. FILES
<X11/extensions/Print.h> X Version 11 libXp 1.0.0 XpSelectInput(3Xp)