Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting insert predefine text in front and on a loop Post 302496121 by masayangbata on Saturday 12th of February 2011 10:30:10 AM
Old 02-12-2011
Hi scottn,

It worked! Thank you very much.

What I meant earlier is that the input data is always expanding.

Have a nice day!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Extracting text between first occurance of foo in front of bar

Suppose I have a text file that contains the tags <foo> and <bar>. The text file can have unlimted occurances of <foo> and <bar> and looks somthing like this: <foo> Some Text <foo> Some Text <bar> Some Text <foo> Some (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ArterialTool
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text after a block of text?

Input: fstab is a configuration file that contains information of all the partitions and storage devices in your computer. The file is located under /etc, so the full path to this file is /etc/fstab. The >>>>> characters would be replaced by some texts. For example if i run a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

5. Solaris

SysV package creation, how to predefine DESTDIR

Hi Solaris experts How to predefine the DESTDIR in a Solaris package? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ./hari.sh
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I insert text with sed ?

Hi I was wondering if anyone new of a solution to this problem? I need to copy a time stamp that is on a line of .text in a text file into multiple positions on the same line. I need to insert the time stamp on the same line between every occurance of the text ".pdf_.html" right after the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert comments in a loop

I got an output file where I have insert some comments inbetween e.g. My file looks like this--- userA 10.120.xxx.xxx Jan 21 01:00 03:00 userA1 userB 10.120.xxx.xxx Jul 03 10:00 13:00 userB1 userC 10.120.xxx.xxx Aug 04 14:00 21:00 userC1 I Would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagesh_1985
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add text in front of variable

I am just trying to add specific text in front of a ${variant} but can not seem to get the syntax correct. I have tried sed -i '$a NM_004004.5' ${variant} and printf "NM_004004.5:%s\n" ${variant} with no luck. Thank you :). (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a single quote in front of a line in vi editor

Hello Gurus, I wanted to put a single quote in every where starting with /oradata, and at the end with .dbf. For example I have one line as below: alter database rename datafile /oradata/test.dbf to /oradata_new/test.dbf I wanted as below alter database rename datafile '/oradata/test.dbf' to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed]: syntax to insert N spaces in front of a string

Dear all, I would like to insert N blankspaces in front of a string using sed command To give an example (N=10), I tried that code: $ echo "abcd" | sed 's/^/ \{10,\}&/' but I failed, by obtaining that result: {10,}abcd Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
18 Replies
NICE(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   NICE(2)

NAME
nice - change process priority SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int nice(int inc); DESCRIPTION
nice adds inc to the nice value for the calling pid. (A large nice value means a low priority.) Only the superuser may specify a negative increment, or priority increase. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EPERM A non-super user attempts to do a priority increase by supplying a negative inc. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, SVID EXT, AT&T, X/OPEN, BSD 4.3. However, the Linux and glibc (earlier than glibc 2.2.4) return value is nonstandard, see below. SVr4 documents an additional EINVAL error code. NOTES
Note that the routine is documented in SUSv2 to return the new nice value, while the Linux syscall and (g)libc (earlier than glibc 2.2.4) routines return 0 on success. The new nice value can be found using getpriority(2). Note that an implementation in which nice returns the new nice value can legitimately return -1. To reliably detect an error, set errno to 0 before the call, and check its value when nice returns -1. SEE ALSO
nice(1), getpriority(2), setpriority(2), fork(2), renice(8) Linux 2001-06-04 NICE(2)