Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep function
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers grep function Post 302495545 by DGPickett on Thursday 10th of February 2011 02:15:39 PM
Old 02-10-2011
Grep uses regex, $ is meta for end of line, and beware trailing white space.
Code:

grep 'Running *$'

Line tools like grep do not work for linefeeds in the pattern, as the buffer is one line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in grep function or similar using awk

I have a list of id; for example: file 1 dfghd dfghe dfgey dfgeu I have another data file that contain this ids as headers; for ex. file2 >dfghd gfdgfddl;klfkld;ld;lgl;dld'l'dv >dfghe gkwhjhsgdjdjdjhjddj >dfgey jdkjfhdjhfdkjhfdkhkdk I wanted to compare file 1 and file 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Grep function regular expression

For some reason, @logs is a list of log files @filter is a list of expressions to grep out foreach (@logs){ open READ, "<$_" or die $!; @temp=<READ>; close READ; foreach (@filter){ print grep /$_/,@temp ; } } returns a regex error in one of the files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get grep to work within function.

Hello again, Am having an issue now with getting a simple grep command to work within a function.. The function is as below... function findRecord() { output=grep "001" recordDatabase echo $output } At the moment the "001"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep and read function in a BASH Script

I'm putting together a script that will search my mail archives for emails that meet certain criteria and output the files to a text file. I can manually cat that text file and pipe it into sendmail and it will work (i.e. cat /pathtofile/foo.txt | sendmail -t me@company.com) My script sends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
7 Replies

6. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

GREP function in ksh which ignores LINE Breaks

I am using a grep command with two patterns in my KSH script. File has line breaks in it and both the patterns are in different lines. Here is the command - grep -l 'RITE AID.*ST.820' natriter820u.20140914 Pattern1 - RITE AID Pattern2 - ST*820 I am not getting any results from this,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghav Garg
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREP function in ksh which ignores LINE Breaks

Hello I am using a grep command with two patterns in my KSH script. File has line breaks in it and both the patterns are in different lines. Here is the command grep -l 'RITE AID.*ST.820' natriter820u.20140914 Pattern1 - RITE AID Pattern2 - ST*820 I am not getting any results from... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghav Garg
24 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Will files, creaetd in one function of the same script will be recognized in another function?

Dear All. I have a script, which process files one by one. In the script I have two functions. one sftp files to different server the other from existing file create file with different name. My question is: Will sftp function recognize files names , which are created in another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep -q -F , what is the function of this script

Hello, I checked grep help field, I got the answer but seems a bit technical for me. Could you please let me know what is this script doing? grep -q -F 'addprestart.sh' /usr/bin/enigma2_pre_start.sh || \ echo '/bin/sh /etc/enigma2/addprestart.sh > \ /dev/null 2>&1 & sleep .5 &' >>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
GEARMAN_JOB_STATUS(3)							 1						     GEARMAN_JOB_STATUS(3)

GearmanClient::jobStatus - Get the status of a background job

Object oriented style (method):

SYNOPSIS
public array GearmanClient::jobStatus (string $job_handle) DESCRIPTION
Gets the status for a background job given a job handle. The status information will specify whether the job is known, whether the job is currently running, and the percentage completion. PARAMETERS
o $job_handle - The job handle assigned by the Gearman server RETURN VALUES
An array containing status information for the job corresponding to the supplied job handle. The first array element is a boolean indicat- ing whether the job is even known, the second is a boolean indicating whether the job is still running, and the third and fourth elements correspond to the numerator and denominator of the fractional completion percentage, respectively. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Monitor the status of a long running background job <?php /* create our object */ $gmclient= new GearmanClient(); /* add the default server */ $gmclient->addServer(); /* run reverse client */ $job_handle = $gmclient->doBackground("reverse", "this is a test"); if ($gmclient->returnCode() != GEARMAN_SUCCESS) { echo "bad return code "; exit; } $done = false; do { sleep(3); $stat = $gmclient->jobStatus($job_handle); if (!$stat[0]) // the job is known so it is not done $done = true; echo "Running: " . ($stat[1] ? "true" : "false") . ", numerator: " . $stat[2] . ", denomintor: " . $stat[3] . " "; } while(!$done); echo "done! "; ?> The above example will output something similar to: Running: true, numerator: 3, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 6, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 9, denomintor: 14 Running: true, numerator: 12, denomintor: 14 Running: false, numerator: 0, denomintor: 0 done! SEE ALSO
GearmanClient::doStatus. PHP Documentation Group GEARMAN_JOB_STATUS(3)