Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping for hex characters - explanation? Post 302491131 by mregine on Wednesday 26th of January 2011 06:06:37 PM
Old 01-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
...an expression that feeds these characters into grep's expression raw.
Can you expand on what the "raw" means? I think I sort of understand what you mean but I'm not sure... I compared the command you gave with the same without the $ and it helps a little, but not completely...?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping the first 3 characters from a file

Hi I was wondering if it's possible to use a command to get the first 3 characters of a line in a text file, I tried grep but it returns the whole line but I am only interested in the first 3 characters. Is this possible with grep or I need any other command? Also is it possible deleting from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: g-e-n-o
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grepping the first 3 characters from a file

give this a try and let me know if it works grep '^' filename rachael (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rachael
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but last Hex characters in a text line

I must remove hex characters 0A and 0D from several fields within an MS Access Table. Since I don't think it can be done in Access, I am trying here. I am exporting a Table from Access (must be fixed length fields, I think, for my idea to work here) into a text format. I then want to run a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAH
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Hex characters of ascii file

Hi, Whats the command or how do you display the hexadecimal characters of an ascii file. thanks Bud (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping characters

Hi friends, I want your help. I have a flat file. I want a script to search following pattern in it and once it get that pattern it should grep next 7 characters from it and should keep it in output file output.TXT Pattern is RSTD3R0******* In above example, characters in the place of *... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
3 Replies

6. Programming

After converting the hexstr to Hex and storing the Hex in a char*

Hi All, My main intension of is to convert the Hexstring stored in a char* into hex and then prefixing it with "0x" and suffix it with ',' This has to be done for all the hexstring char* is NULL. Store the result prefixed with "0x" and suffixed with ',' in another char* and pass it to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rvan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing hex characters '\x0D' with '\x0D\x0A'

Hello All, I have a requirement where I need to replaced the hex character - '\x0D' with 2 hex characters - 'x0D' & 'x0A' I am trying to use SED - But somehow its not working. Any pointers? Also the hex character '\x0D' can occur anywhere in the line. Can this also be accomplished... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert hex values to displayable characters

Hi, I am a bit stuck with displaying characters. I am having values like below in the proper displayable characters. which I would want to print the actual value on the right hand side. I dont want to create an array because I would have to create 255 different values. isnt there another way of... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing hex characters

I have the following file consisting of dates and sample measurements: 05��Oct��2010 1.31�� 06��Oct��2010 1.32�� 07��Oct��2010 1.31�� The hex characters are \xc2\xa0 in sequence. I have tried to remove the characters as follows: sed -i '' -e 's/\xc2\xa0//g' file.dat and as follows... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

Replacing Hex Characters In A File Using awk?

Hi guys, First off, i'm a complete noob to UNIX and LINUX so apologies if I don't understand the basics! I have a file which contains a hex value of '0D' at the end of each line when I look at it in a hex viewer. I need to change it so it contains a hex value of '0D0A0A' I thought... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyBSG
10 Replies
FBB::mlm(3bobcat)					      OFoldStream manipulator						 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)

NAME
FBB::mlm - Manipulator modifying left margins of OFoldStream objects SYNOPSIS
#include <bobcat/ofoldstream> or #include <bobcat/ofoldstreambuf> Linking option: -lbobcat DESCRIPTION
The mlm class implements a manipulator that can be inserted into OFoldStream objects to modify the stream's left margin by a requested amount. The request cannot result in a negative left margin value. If a negative left margin would be the arithmetic result of the request then left margin 0 will silently be used. Depending on the tab-setting of the OFoldStream the inserted value represents the number of blank space characters or the number of tab-characters that will be added to the left margin. The request will be processed at the next newline character or std::flush or std::endl manipulator that is inserted into the stream. If a line is still empty once an mlm object and a flush manipulator are inserted into the stream then the new left margin will be effective at the next word inserted into that line (cf., the example section below) A bad_cast exception is thrown when the manipulator is inserted into an ostream that is not using a OFoldStreambuf buffer. NAMESPACE
FBB All constructors, members, operators and manipulators, mentioned in this man-page, are defined in the namespace FBB. INHERITS FROM
- CONSTRUCTOR
o mlm(int addValue): The standard copy constructor is available. MEMBER FUNCTIONS
There are no public or protected member functions in this class. EXAMPLE
#include <iostream> #include <bobcat/ofoldstream> using namespace std; using namespace FBB; int main() { OFoldStream out(cout, 0, 80); out << "hello world (left margin is 0)" << mlm(4) << " " "this uses a 4 character wide left margin " << mlm(-10) << flush << "left margin -6 changed to 0, active on this line "; return 0; } FILES
bobcat/mlm - defines the class interface SEE ALSO
bobcat(7), manipulators(3bobcat), lm(3bobcat), ofoldstream(3bobcat) BUGS
None Reported. DISTRIBUTION FILES
o bobcat_3.01.00-x.dsc: detached signature; o bobcat_3.01.00-x.tar.gz: source archive; o bobcat_3.01.00-x_i386.changes: change log; o libbobcat1_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries; o libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x_*.deb: debian package holding the libraries, headers and manual pages; o http://sourceforge.net/projects/bobcat: public archive location; BOBCAT
Bobcat is an acronym of `Brokken's Own Base Classes And Templates'. COPYRIGHT
This is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). AUTHOR
Frank B. Brokken (f.b.brokken@rug.nl). libbobcat1-dev_3.01.00-x.tar.gz 2005-2012 FBB::mlm(3bobcat)