Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash XML Parsing using Perl XPath Post 302485658 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 5th of January 2011 10:06:49 PM
Old 01-05-2011
My version of Perl xpath does not have a -e option and the command line syntax appears to be different. However you should be able to get the idea.

To retrieve the count of the bread nodes:
Code:
$ xpath input.xml "count(//bread)"  2>/dev/null
$

To retrieve the contents of the first type node:
Code:
$ xpath input.xml "//bread[position() = 1]/type/text()" 2>/dev/null
sourdough
$

To retrieve the contents of the second type node:
Code:
$ xpath input.xml "//bread[position() = 2]/type/text()" 2>/dev/null
pumpernickel
$

This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of bash parsing script to perl?

I need help with a perl parsing script. I have some error logs on a windows machine that I need to parse from a text file, but I know nothing about perl. I usually run this bash script on my linux box and it does just what I need. How would I do the same thing with perl and port it to my windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xml parsing error in perl

******************PERL VERSION************************ This is perl, v5.8.1 built for i386-linux-thread-multi ERROR!!!!---Undefined subroutine &main::start called at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Expat.pm line 469. *********************PERL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl parsing compared to Ksh parsing

#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w $ip = "$ARGV"; $rw = "$ARGV"; $snmpg = "/usr/local/bin/snmpbulkget -v2c -Cn1 -Cn2 -Os -c $rw"; $snmpw = "/usr/local/bin/snmpwalk -Os -c $rw"; $syst=`$snmpg $ip system sysName sysObjectID`; sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random XML Parsing - using Perl

Given the XML: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <reference> <refbody> <section> <p> <ul> <li><xref href="file1.dita#anchor" /></li> <li><xref href="file2.dita#anchor" /></li> </ul> </p> </section> <section> <p> <xref href="file3.dita#anchor" /> </p> <p> <xref... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricksj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing XML result by using perl?

for some reasons, i need to parse the XML result by using perl. for instance, this is a sample XML result: <Response> <status>success</status> <answer>AAA::AAA</answer> <answer>BBB::BBB</answer> </Response> then i can use this way : my @output = (); foreach my $parts (@all) ##@all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract TAG name and XPATH from XML file via shellscript

Hi, Here is a sample xml file and expected output. I need to extract the element/tag name (not value) and xpath (sample output.txt). But the main problem is I put here one simple xml file where I can clearly see the number of elements, but in real time I have a xml file which have over 500... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: BithunC
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in parsing XML output file in perl.

Hi I have an XML output like : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> - <envelope> - <body> - <outputGetUsageSummary> - <usgSumm rerateDone="5"> - <usageAccum accumId="269" accumCaptn="VD_DP_AR" inclUnits="9999999.00" inclUnitsUsed="0.00" shared="false" pooled="false"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML: parsing of the Google contacts XML file

I am trying to parse the XML Google contact file using tools like xmllint and I even dived into the XSL Style Sheets using xsltproc but I get nowhere. I can not supply any sample file as it contains private data but you can download your own contacts using this script: #!/bin/sh # imports... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

XML parsing

i have xml output in below format... <AlertsResponse> <Alert id="11216" name="fgdfg"> <AlertActionLog timestamp="1356521629778" user="admin" detail="Recovery Alert"/> </Alert> <Alert id="11215" name="gdfg <AlertActionLog timestamp="1356430119840" user=""... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML (and insert data) then output data (bash / Solaris)

Hi folks I have a script I wrote that basically parses a bunch of config and xml files works out were to add in the new content then spits out the data into a new file. It all works - apart from the xml and config file format in the new file with XML files the original XML (that ends up in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfinch
2 Replies
Test::XML::Simple(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Test::XML::Simple(3pm)

NAME
Test::XML::Simple - easy testing for XML SYNOPSIS
use Test::XML::Simple tests=>5; xml_valid $xml, "Is valid XML"; xml_node $xml, "/xpath/expression", "specified xpath node is present"; xml_is, $xml, '/xpath/expr', "expected value", "specified text present"; xml_like, $xml, '/xpath/expr', qr/expected/, "regex text present"; xml_is_deeply, $xml, '/xpath/expr', $xml2, "structure and contents match"; # Not yet implemented: # xml_like_deeply would be nice too... DESCRIPTION
"Test::XML::Simple" is a very basic class for testing XML. It uses the XPath syntax to locate nodes within the XML. You can also check all or part of the structure vs. an XML fragment. TEST ROUTINES
xml_valid $xml, 'test description' Pass an XML file or fragment to this test; it succeeds if the XML (fragment) is valid. xml_node $xml, $xpath, 'test description' Checks the supplied XML to see if the node described by the supplied XPath expression is present. Test fails if it is not present. xml_is_long $xml, $xpath, $value, 'test description' Finds the node corresponding to the supplied XPath expression and compares it to the supplied value. Succeeds if the two values match. Uses Test::More's "is" function to do the comparison. xml_is $xml, $xpath, $value, 'test description' Finds the node corresponding to the supplied XPath expression and compares it to the supplied value. Succeeds if the two values match. Uses Test::LongString's "is_string" function to do the test. xml_like_long $xml, $xpath, $regex, 'test description' Find the XML corresponding to the the XPath expression and check it against the supplied regular expression. Succeeds if they match. Uses Test::More's "like" function to do the comparison. xml_like $xml, $xpath, $regex, 'test description' Find the XML corresponding to the the XPath expression and check it against the supplied regular expression. Succeeds if they match. Uses Test::LongString's "like_string" function to do the test. xml_is_deeply_long $xml, $xpath, $xml2, 'test description' Find the piece of XML corresponding to the XPath expression, and compare its structure and contents to the second XML (fragment) supplied. Succeeds if they match in structure and content. Uses Test::More's "is" function to do the comparison. xml_is_deeply $xml, $xpath, $xml2, 'test description' Find the piece of XML corresponding to the XPath expression, and compare its structure and contents to the second XML (fragment) supplied. Succeeds if they match in structure and content. Uses Test::LongString's "is_string" function to do the test. AUTHOR
Joe McMahon, <mcmahon@cpan.org> LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2005 by Yahoo! and Joe McMahon This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.6.1 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. SEE ALSO
XML::XPath, Test::More, Test::Builder. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-05 Test::XML::Simple(3pm)