Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Graphics cards
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications High Performance Computing Graphics cards Post 302485163 by Corona688 on Tuesday 4th of January 2011 12:28:14 PM
Old 01-04-2011
It's also best to minimize branching to take best advantage of the GPU's execution buffers. This still holds for processing in general, even, but frequent branching hurts GPU processors especially badly since they lose much of the advantage their very deep buffers and very wide paths otherwise give them. They can't easily drop everything and change directions the way general-purpose CPU's are expected to.

---------- Post updated at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:06 AM ----------

Also: the graphics cards in many consumer-level machines are quite terrible.

Last edited by Corona688; 01-04-2011 at 01:11 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics And Animation

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY C OR ANY OTHER UNIX LANGUAGE IS USED IN THREE DIMENSIONAL ANIMATION AND RENDERING (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aloysius1001
5 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics programing

Hi all! I`m new in Unix (Linux) and i whant to ask something! What language should i use for Linux developing.I meen applications an GAME DEVELOPING! Should i use C,TCL ??? Please help me on this ...:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebastyan
1 Replies

3. Programming

Graphics libraries

I want to know if under Linux there are some graphics libraries and/or functions for using simple graphics in the 'console' screen. For example with MS-DOS (when I was using Borland Turbo C++ v1.01, a very old version) there was the include file <graphics.h> that allowed to enter the graphic... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robotronic
1 Replies

4. Programming

graphics commands ? ? ?

Graphics in UNIX :D well how to include "graphics.h" header file ? how to make the text output in colour in sh programming. please feed in back ....... thanking you alll imma (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: immanuelgangte
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX supported graphics cards

I'm using an IBM RS6000 running AIX 5.3. Currently I can only attach a dumb terminal to it to log in at the console or use terminal emulation software to connect to it remotely via my pc. What I would like to do is install a graphics card, so that I can make use of the kvm mounted in the rack. So... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HNelson
2 Replies

6. Programming

2D Graphics Lib

Hi, I am on Fedora9 and need to do some simple 2D graphics (for game development). I am looking for an ideal 2D library/package to be used with GCC. I have come accross GRX, libmxi and some OpenGL (The 3D), but none of which seems to be ok. I could not find any tutorial or support material... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nasersh
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

graphics drivers

ok, right off the bat im going to say this, i know that there is about over 100 links on google for this, just none of them help me. i have a radeon mobility 7500 graphics card. and i want to enable the compiz effects via Administration/preferences/Appearance. the problem is that i can't get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
12 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

[Solved] links2 --enable-graphics from source, configure error: no graphics driver found.

Howdy I am trying to install links2 with graphics support on snow leopard 10.6.8 (xcode installed). I have had the program running last year, also installed from source - but then I had installed some image libraries with mac ports and fink - cannot reproduce that setup. Plus I would like to not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: butterbaerchen
6 Replies
PCNET_CS(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       PCNET_CS(4)

NAME
pcnet_cs - generic NS8390-based PCMCIA Ethernet Driver SYNOPSIS
insmod pcnet_cs.o [pc_debug=n] [irq_list=i,j,...] [if_port=n] [full_duplex=n] [use_big_buf=n] [use_shmem=n] [mem_speed=n] [delay_output=n] [delay_time=n] [hw_addr=n,n,n,n,n,n] DESCRIPTION
Pcnet_cs is a driver for all NS8390-based PCMCIA ethernet cards. It can use either polled IO or a shared memory window to exchange data with the card. The driver first tests for a shared memory buffer, falling back on polled IO if the memory test fails. When this driver is bound to a card, it allocates the next available ethernet device (eth0..eth#). This device name will be reported in the kernel log file, and passed on to cardmgr(8). PARAMETERS
pc_debug=n Selects the PCMCIA debugging level. This parameter is only available if the module is compiled with debugging enabled. A non-zero value enables debugging. irq_list=i,j,... Specifies the set of interrupts that may be allocated by this driver. if_port=n Selects the transceiver type, for Socket EA and IBM CCAE cards. 1 is 10baseT (twisted pair), and 2 is 10base2 (BNC, or thin net). The default is 1 (10baseT). full_duplex=n For DL10022 based cards where pcnet_cs can't find the MII interface, this option permits manual control of the duplex setting. 1 is full duplex, and 0 is half duplex; the default is 0. use_big_buf=n For Socket EA cards, a flag indicating if the driver should use the large (64K) packet buffer. The default is 1 (true). use_shmem=n Selects shared memory versus polled IO mode for packet transfers. The default is -1, meaning to use the card's CIS information to decide. mem_speed=n Sets the access speed of the shared memory window, in nanoseconds. The default is 0 (i.e., no extra wait states). Values of up to 1000 are legal. delay_output=n Specifies that a delay should be inserted after a polled IO block output. This is turned on by default for Accton and Socket EA cards. delay_time=n Specifies the length of the delay_output delay, in microseconds. The default is 4. hw_addr=n,n,n,n,n,n For cards whose hardware ethernet addresses can't be identified by the current driver, this is a hack for hardwiring a specific address. The argument should consist of exactly six byte-sized numbers, separated by commas, with no spaces. Numbers may be in decimal or hex ('0xNN'). DIAGNOSTICS
pcnet_cs: this is an AX88190 card! Indicates that this card is based on the Asix AX88190 chipset, which requires the axnet_cs driver. eth#: interrupt(s) dropped! Indicates that the driver did not receive an interrupt notification for some reason. The driver will poll the card (with a signifi- cant performance penalty) if the problem persists. The most likely cause is an interrupt conflict and/or host bridge configuration problem. eth#: MII is missing! Indicates that the driver expects this card to have a ``Media Independent Interface'' for link speed and duplex selection, but could not find it. AUTHOR
David Hinds - dahinds@users.sourceforge.net SEE ALSO
cardmgr(8), pcmcia(5). pcmcia-cs 2001/11/04 22:57:46 PCNET_CS(4)