Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: range patterns in awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting range patterns in awk Post 302481916 by ghoda2_10 on Monday 20th of December 2010 07:25:34 AM
Old 12-20-2010
range patterns in awk

Hi All,

I am new to awk command and I had a question in using it.

I want to filter a code file and print specific functions (that contain menu word in the function name).

for example, if the file has:

Code:
function menu1()
{
}

function f2()
{
}

function menu3()
{
}

so I want the command to print the first and third functions only.
I wrote the below command using range patterns:

Code:
awk '
/.*function.*menu\(\)/,/^ *\} *$/
'

but there is a problem, the above one prints the function until the first "}" even if it is not the ending of the function , is there a way to fix this??

Last edited by radoulov; 12-20-2010 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK: Multiple patterns per line

Hi there, We have been given a bit of coursework using awk on html pages. Without giving too much away and risking the wrath of the plagerism checks, I can say we need to deal with certain html elements. There may be several of these elements on one line. My question is, if there are more... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Plavixo
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print range between two patterns if it contains a pattern within the range

I want to print between the range two patterns if a particular pattern is present in between the two patterns. I am new to Unix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. e.g. Pattern1 Bombay Calcutta Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1 Patna Madras Gwalior Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

range in if using awk

Hi All, I would like to assign the following values to each column in my file. if $i is between 1 and -1 (ie -1 < $i < 1) then print A; if $i is between -2 and -1 && 1 and 2 (ie. -2 < $i < -1 && 1 < $i < 2) then print B; if $i is between -3 and -2 && 2 and 3 (ie. -3 < $i < -2 && 2 < $i < 3)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fredrick
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] HP-UX awk sub multiple patterns

Hi, I am using sub to remove blank spaces and one pattern(=>) from the input string. It works fine when I am using two sub functions for the same. However it is giving error while I am trying to remove both spaces and pattern using one single sub function. Working: $ echo " OK => " |awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk comparison with two patterns

Here is my list, which contains URLs for file downloads: //servername.com/version/panasonic1,1_1.1.1 //servername.com/version/panasonic3,1_6.7.1 //servername.com/version/panasonic3,2_6.8 //servername.com/version/panasonic2,6_3.0.2 //servername.com/version/panasonic3,1_7.1.3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibanezpete
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching multiple patterns using awk

Hello, I have the following input file: qh1adm 20130710111201 : tp import all QH1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=BFI,EBJ qh1adm 20130711151154 : tp import all QH1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=BFI,EBJ qx1adm 20130711151154 : tp count QX1 u6 -Dsourcesystems=B17,E17,EE7 qh1adm 20130711151155 : tp import all... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcboy
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specifying patterns to egrep or awk

given this information: ^\w{3} {11} -]+ kernel:( \]+\.]+\])? ]+: media error \(bad sector\): status=0x]+ { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }$ ^\w{3} {11} -]+ kernel:( \]+\.]+\])? end_request: I/O error, dev ]+, sector ]+ i need to set up monitoring for these strings. but as you can see, they... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search patterns from file in another

I would like to grep for aaa and bbb and ccc from one line in file1.txt in any order on a line on file2.txt file1.txt aaa bbb ccc ddd fff ggg hhh ddd jjj jjj cccfile2.txt aaa bbb ccc ddd fff ggg --> output whole line since it matches with aaa bbb ccc of file1.txt aaa ddd jjj hhh --> no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdf
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

TCL script to print range of lines between patterns

Hi I am having a code as stated below module abcd( a , b , c ,da , fa, na , ta , ma , ra , ta, la , pa ); input a , b, da ,fa , na , ta , ma; output c , ra ,ta , la ,pa ; wire a , b , da , fa ,na , ta , ma; endmodule I need to match the string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Match patterns between two files and extract certain range of strings

Hi, I need help to match patterns from between two different files and extract region of strings. inputfile1.fa >l-WR24-1:1 GCCGGCGTCGCGGTTGCTCGCGCTCTGGGCGCTGGCGGCTGTGGCTCTACCCGGCTCCGG GGCGGAGGGCGACGGCGGGTGGTGAGCGGCCCGGGAGGGGCCGGGCGGTGGGGTCACGTG... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunny_merah19
4 Replies
Tree::Simple::Visitor::PostOrderTraversal(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation	    Tree::Simple::Visitor::PostOrderTraversal(3pm)

NAME
Tree::Simple::Visitor::PostOrderTraversal - A Visitor for post-order traversal a Tree::Simple hierarchy SYNOPSIS
use Tree::Simple::Visitor::PostOrderTraversal; # create an visitor my $visitor = Tree::Simple::Visitor::PostOrderTraversal->new(); # pass our visitor to the tree $tree->accept($visitor); # print our results print join ", " => $visitor->getResults(); # this will print this: # 1.1.1 1.1 1.2 1 2.1 2 3.1 3 # assuming your tree is like this: # 1 # 1.1 # 1.1.1 # 1.2 # 2 # 2.1 # 3 # 3.1 DESCRIPTION
Post-order traversal is a variation of the depth-first traversal in which the sub-tree's are processed before the parent. It is another alternative to Tree::Simple's "traverse" method which implements a depth-first, pre-order traversal. METHODS
new There are no arguments to the constructor the object will be in its default state. You can use the "setNodeFilter" method to customize its behavior. includeTrunk ($boolean) Based upon the value of $boolean, this will tell the visitor to include the trunk of the tree in the traversal as well. setNodeFilter ($filter_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $filter_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This code reference is used to filter the tree nodes as they are collected. This can be used to customize output, or to gather specific information from a more complex tree node. The filter function should accept a single argument, which is the current Tree::Simple object. visit ($tree) This is the method that is used by Tree::Simple's "accept" method. It can also be used on its own, it requires the $tree argument to be a Tree::Simple object (or derived from a Tree::Simple object), and will throw and exception otherwise. getResults This method returns the accumulated results of the application of the node filter to the tree. BUGS
None that I am aware of. Of course, if you find a bug, let me know, and I will be sure to fix it. CODE COVERAGE
See the CODE COVERAGE section in Tree::Simple::VisitorFactory for more inforamtion. SEE ALSO
These Visitor classes are all subclasses of Tree::Simple::Visitor, which can be found in the Tree::Simple module, you should refer to that module for more information. AUTHOR
stevan little, <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004, 2005 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2005-07-14 Tree::Simple::Visitor::PostOrderTraversal(3pm)