Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Compiling with debugger flag -g fixes SEGfault (fortran90) Post 302481519 by drbones on Friday 17th of December 2010 06:37:08 PM
Old 12-17-2010
Compiling with debugger flag -g fixes SEGfault (fortran90)

So the title kinda says it all. I was getting a SEGfault, so I decided to compile with the -g option to find where, and low and behold the SEGfault doesn't occur.

I suppose the answer is "Problem solved! You fixed yet another SEGfault." But I am very curious how this could have happened.

Some info that may help:
1 At first the executable instantly killed itself. After removing some unnecessary variables from the header file, this was fixed. (stack overflow i assume)
2 This is the full compilation command:
ifort -r8 -i4 -mcmodel=large -i-dynamic -align all -g -o code code.f90
3 When compiling without debugger flag messages informing me that loops have been vectorized are printed to screen. Nothing is printed to screen when I compile WITH '-g'.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Linux] How Do I Run Until Segfault

Hello, sorry if this has been posted before but i was wondering if there is a way to run a program until a segmentation fault is found. Currently i'm using a simple shell script which runs my program 100 times, sleeps 1 second because srand(time(0)) is dependent on seconds. Is there a possible... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aslambilal
1 Replies

2. Programming

how to avoid the segfault from Address 0x1cd00000103 out of bounds

After allocating memory for some variables, segfault is often to happen, due to the same reason: Address 0x1cd00000103 out of bounds It is welcome to recommend some treatments. Thanks e.g. is_done = 0x1cd00000103 <Address 0x1cd00000103 out of bounds>, hood = 0x23c00000247, c =... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdbug
11 Replies

3. Solaris

Working around netscape 4.9 segfault on Solaris 8

We have a Solaris 8 server which users login to via VNC to get a desktop. On that desktop these users use Netscape Communicator 4.9 to access a very important mail account. Unfortunately Netscape has started segfaulting regularly. Does anyone have any ideas how I can try to find out what point... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aussieos
1 Replies

4. Programming

2 Problems: Segfault on ctrl+c and syslog() prob

1. Even if i have the handles for ctrl+c it gives off a segfault 2. syslog doesn't log LOG_ERR event with log masked specified or non specified, it logs LOG_WARNING however... #include <sys/types.h> /* include this before any other sys headers */ #include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2432
2 Replies

5. Programming

id3lib SEGFAULT

Hello everyone, I'm writing a program using the id3lib unfortunately I've encountered with memory issue that cause segmentation fault. I tried to rerun and analyze the program with valgrind but it doesn't point me anywhere. I really stuck on this one. Valgrind output: ==14716== Invalid read of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: errb
2 Replies

6. Programming

Is Drive Valid Segfault

I have a program that allows users to specify the debug log file location and name. I have tried using the access() and stat() but they both segfault if the drive say (d:\) is invalid. Both seem to be fine if the drive exists. Could someone please point me in the direction to a function that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robfwauk
1 Replies

7. Programming

Alternative debugger to GNU insight debugger

GNU insight debugger is not available now a days and it is required to debug/inspect assembly code as written in the book Assembly Language Programming step by step in Linux so my question is; is there any alternative to insight that I can use instead of insight in which I can get the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
5 Replies

8. Programming

segfault in pointer to string program

hello all, my question is not about How code can be rewritten, i just wanna know even though i am not using read only memory of C (i have declared str) why this function gives me segfault :wall:and the other code executes comfortably though both code uses same pointer arithmetic. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zius_oram
4 Replies

9. Programming

String array iteration causing segfault

I am populating an array of string and print it. But it going in infinite loop and causing segfault. char Name = { "yahoo", "rediff", "facebook", NULL }; main(int argc, char* argv) { int j = 0; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
7 Replies

10. Programming

Segfault When Parsing Delimiters In C

Another project, another bump in the road and another chance to learn. I've been trying to open gzipped files and parse data from them and hit a snag. I have data in gzips with a place followed by an ip or ip range sort of like this: Some place:x.x.x.x-x.x.x.x I was able to modify some code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
6 Replies
fixadd(3alleg4) 						  Allegro manual						   fixadd(3alleg4)

NAME
fixadd - Safe function to add fixed point numbers clamping overflow. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> fixed fixadd(fixed x, fixed y); DESCRIPTION
Although fixed point numbers can be added with the normal '+' integer operator, that doesn't provide any protection against overflow. If overflow is a problem, you should use this function instead. It is slower than using integer operators, but if an overflow occurs it will set `errno' and clamp the result, rather than just letting it wrap. Example: fixed result; /* This will put 5035 into `result'. */ result = fixadd(itofix(5000), itofix(35)); /* Sets `errno' and puts -32768 into `result'. */ result = fixadd(itofix(-31000), itofix(-3000)); ASSERT(!errno); /* This will fail. */ RETURN VALUE
Returns the clamped result of adding `x' to `y', setting `errno' to ERANGE if there was an overflow. SEE ALSO
fixsub(3alleg4), fixmul(3alleg4), fixdiv(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 fixadd(3alleg4)